Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2002 5:10:24 AM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/05/12/lion.attack.ap/index.html[/url]

That had to hurt. [shock]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Zoo officials said they had not decided what to do with the lion.
View Quote

May I offer a suggestion?

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/blackeye/snipersmilie.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]
please...don't pet or feed the animals.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:23:19 AM EDT
[#3]
hmm... target practice for a .50 BMG
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey the women put her arm in the pen,
Talk about stupid!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
That's why they don't have lions in the petting zoo. [X]

The story says that the lion attacked "through a bar-style fence".  I wonder how close the zookeeper was to the fence.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/blackeye/snipersmilie.gif[/IMG]

View Quote

I heard this on the radio. My first thought was "Well feed the damn thing! It's hungry." [:D]

Sometimes I can be a sick SOB.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]
So, did the lady make it to safety by herself or did someone have to give her a hand?  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#8]
How can you possibly blame the lion..?  It did what GOD intended it to do, hunt!

Of course, the liberal PETA folks will blame it on guns, and say that these animals have been repressed for hundreds of years by big game hunters, and thus it is not without merit that the lion should be allowed to occassionally strike back at it's capturers...  They will also go on to sue big tabacco, to raise funds for the poor woman that didn't know enough to not pet man eating animals. After all, it is the stinking rich "big tabacco" folks that require these animals to be held captive...  and because of her liberal and oppressive childhood, scooping shit was the only job she was qualified for...  therefore, somebody with a lot of money has to pay her, and also pay to reform the poor lion!

Was that a good summary..? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Want to read what else lions can do to a human pick up a book by Peter Hathaway Capstick.
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my![:D]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Did she have a kid in the other arm?

I suppose that as a lion, you don't see a chance like this all that often - being able to pick off a small but tasty morsel from behind the relative safety of a fence that helps you pull it off......
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear Clinton is looking for a new "pet" to replace the late "buddy"...

:-)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard it was a sheep...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Did anybody realize it was "Hot lunch day" at the zoo. It's nice to have something not already dead for a change.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
They've decided not to destroy the lion.

Here's the pweddy widdle puddy!
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020512/capt.1021247984.lion_bite_fjdt102.jpg[/img]
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!  In't he kewwwwwwt!!!  Whosa big boy?  Whosa pweddy boy!

[b]Max, a 350-pound, 12-year-old male lion, shown in this January 2002, file photo, in Tampa, Fla., bit the right arm off of a 21-year-old female zookeeper Sunday, May 12, 2002, at Busch Gardens in Tampa. Max attacked the zookeeper through a bar-style fence while she was giving her family a behind-the-scenes tour of the theme park. The woman, whose name wasn't released, was flown with the severed limb to Tampa General Hospital by helicopter. She is listed in serious condition, a hospital spokesman said. (AP Photo/Jim Tuten, File)[/b]
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/020512/168/1jayp.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It's just a flesh wound, I've had worse!
[ni] [ni] [ni] [ni] [ni] [ni] [ni]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey the women put her arm in the pen,
Talk about stupid!
View Quote

No shit!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yummy Humans [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/kitty1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I read where she was giving a bit of a behind the scenes tour to some folks.  That's certainly when accidents can and do happen.  I've been in the Zoo business for 35 years now and have seen it all...  well, almost nearly all.  Fingers bitten off by chimps, fingers lost from infection because of monkey bites, elbow and knee joints permanently damaged do to llama bites, handlers I've known killed by elephants or if they're lucky...  just a few ribs broken and an ex-wife who was attacked by a full grown female gorilla.  The gorilla's canines put one hell of a hole through the top of one thigh.  I've been attacked by a variety of primate species, eagles and a few snakes, but fortunately have never suffered a serious injury.  Is dangerous work to be involved with at times.
W
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.kfwb.com/news_national.asp?displayOption=&contentGUID={A019B9B2-D8A4-4FCC-851E-EF66358DA8BA}&groupName=KFWB News National Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}[/url]
Surgeons Cannot Reattach Florida Zookeeper's Arm After Lion Tears It Off

It appears that the lion lets people pet it, I guess she put her arm thru the bars, and bang....! What a hard lesson to learn about wild animals, well she is still alive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[red]http://www.kfwb.com/[/red]
View Quote

Any chance you could post the text?  KFWB "respects" my decision not to install a new browser just to view their crappy website, but won't let me view the article unless I do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah!!! GREAT idea!!! Lets shoot the lion.....for being a lion!!! Why didn't I think of that?!? Why blame people for being fuckin' IDIOTS....when we can just shoot the lion instead?!? Great idea Gump.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]
tastes like chicken
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[red]http://www.kfwb.com/[/red]
View Quote

Any chance you could post the text?  KFWB "respects" my decision not to install a new browser just to view their crappy website, but won't let me view the article unless I do.
View Quote

Here you go:
Surgeons Cannot Reattach Florida Zookeeper's Arm After Lion Tears It Off
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) 5.13.02, 12:52p - - Surgeons were unable to reattach a zookeeper's arm that was torn off by a lion at Busch Gardens. Meanwhile, state wildlife officials launched an investigation into what led to the attack on Sunday.
The 21-year-old zookeeper was taking her parents, her boyfriend and his parents on a behind-the-scenes tour of the lion's sleeping quarters when the attack occurred. Her right arm was severed near the elbow. No tourists saw the attack. It is not known how the lion came in contact with the zookeeper's arm, Busch Gardens said.

The arm was rushed to Tampa General Hospital with the zookeeper, but surgeons were unable to reattach it, hospital spokesman John Dunn said. Busch Gardens officials said the 350-pound, 12-year-old lion would not be destroyed. But they announced a review of their safety policies.

Busch Gardens said the zookeeper, whose name was not released, was in serious condition. She had worked at the amusement park for about a year. The lion, named Max, has been at Busch since 1997. The park also has a lioness. The lions were not put on display Monday. They are part of Busch Garden's "Edge of Africa" exhibit and are rotated on display with hyenas.

"These are still wild animals, and they behave like that," said Glenn Young, Busch vice president of zoological operations. "This appears to be a freak accident at this point."

Metal bars and a fence that would not allow someone to put an arm into the lion's cage separated the visitors from Max, but it would be possible to stick one's fingers in, Young said.

While by no means considered a tame animal, Max has been touched by his zookeepers before and responds to them when they call him by name. Jack Hanna, the director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and whose TV show, "Jack Hanna's Animal Adventures," often originates from Busch Gardens in Tampa, said the zoo has one of the best safety records in the industry.

"For the numbers of visitors and the numbers of animals they have, I would say their record is in the top two or three of all the zoological parks in the U.S., probably the world," Hanna said.

In 1989, an animal keeper was crushed to death by a 2-ton elephant. In 1993, a rattlesnake bit a zookeeper, who survived. And in 1999, a woman claimed a Clydesdale horse bit off the tip of her finger.

"The first thing I tell people is a wild animal is like a loaded gun. It can go off at any time," Hanna said. "This is the kind of business we are in."
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#26]
sounds like a simple case of Darwinism...

Touch a hot stove, get burned.

Try to pet a caged lion, get chewed.

Why the hell would someone want to get cuddly an wild carniverous animal with jaws the size of your head?

Might as well play catch with a hand grenade.[grenade]

Lions are mighty animals, and they make great attractions at zoos.  As Renamed said "That's why they don't have lions in the petting zoo."

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020512/capt.1021247984.lion_bite_fjdt102.jpg[/img]
All your arm are belong to us.

coyote3
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
You certainly have to HAND it to her.

Damn that was bad, I'm sorry marvl I'm starting to turn into a politician in my old age!

edited to add...

It's terrible to be disarmed [>Q]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The Lion King

What a handsome brute.

I think he should be allowed to live. Would probably attract even more people to the zoo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You certainly have to HAND it to her.

Damn that was bad, I'm sorry marvl I'm starting to turn into a politician in my old age!

edited to add...

It's terrible to be disarmed [>Q]
View Quote

Damn it muzlblast!!! Get a GRIP on yourself![stick]

An interesting tangent off of feline induced appendage amputation, if MY arm was inadvertantly "relocated," I'd want it replaced with a nerve-controlled swiss army knife.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Hokie, I needed that!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top