Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 4:47:31 AM EDT
[url]http://www.610wtvn.com-END Of Script Attempt-
/headline_newsmanager.php?id=19030&pagecontent=weirdnews[/url]

For sale: A really small town

ART, Texas -- There's a town for sale in Texas. That's right, the town of Art is for sale. The small community is on the real estate market listed at $299,900.

Agent Jim Holley, of Century 21, said the "town" is quite an interesting place and full of history.

"It would be great for somebody who'd like to get a business going," he said. "That person could be the mayor and city council rolled into one."

The town consists of a Victorian houses, which has been remodeled, a guest cottage in back, the Hoo Doo Restaurant and a feed store adjacent to the restaurant. It's located on 1.2 acres, with a field in back. Holley said the owner has said the price is negotiable.

The Victorian house has a big dining room, cute little kitchen, a study, two bedrooms and a bath, Holley said. The guesthouse is a perfect bed and breakfast place, and behind that is a place for RVs to set up, Holley said. The area was founded by German settlers in the mid-1800s.

Previous owner Randy Gaulding turned the place into not only a stopping point for tourists, but also a haven for Texas musicians. Gaulding, who was from Houston, happen to be driving by one day, saw it for sale and got interested.

The feed store was turned into an area for live music, and "Art After Dark" was started; featuring artists from all over the state.

During this period, the town was featured in several magazines, including "Texas Monthly" and "Continental Inflight Magazine."

Holley said people in the nearby town of Mason were disappointed when Gaulding shut down the place.

Gaulding closed after he married a woman from San Antonio. The commute was too much, so he decided it was time to sell, Holley said.

Holley said ads have been placed in numerous papers, including the "Wall Street Journal" and on Web sites, but that he's had very few showings. He said people are expecting something cheap, since it's in the middle of nowhere.

For more information, call Holley at (830) 997-0942 or (210) 860-6114.

© 2000 Scripps Howard News Service.

All Rights Reserved.

Copyright 2002, Scripps Howard News Service
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
we want a STATE.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
OK MADDOG WHY NOT BUY the town and get 100,000 people to live there and declare it your own state? I know there is a constitutional ban on creating states from existing states... But if we wanted to we could claim INdependance from the US and own what ever damn weapons we wanted too....
Nice thought.... M-16's, FA Ak-47's, MP-5's, FA L1A1's, CETMES, G3's, 1919's, M-60's, Grenade Launchers, Rockets, Big 50-calibers... etc.
And Handgun Control Inc. Would Be Banned.

Ideal world almost.[uzi]

There I go Dreaming again [whacko]
[50]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...But if we wanted to we could claim INdependance from the US and own what ever damn weapons we wanted too....
[uzi]

[50]
View Quote

That has been tried before, and without much success.

You would have much greater luck buying an island nation that is already independant.

But hey!  If the S ever HTF, we will have the same deal here. (Your SHTF scenario may vary)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless there was a legally recognized town in place at an earlier time, one house and adjacent buildings don't meet the requirements for a "town".  What has happened around here is someone builds a mobile home park in an unincorporated area, gets just enough people to qualify to call an election then votes itself into existence.  The owners control all the affairs and it usually consists of a few acres with trailers and a liquor store.  The liquor store makes mountains of money.  These mobile home cities set up on the outskirts of a "dry" community and get rich selling booze to Baptists.

BTW how's that firearm-focused place in Nevada (Frontsight?) doing?  I think it would be a hoot to do a similar thing with firearms.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Progunion

we could throw out or execute all anti's depending on how anti they are. Execute by firing squad....
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...But if we wanted to we could claim INdependance from the US and own what ever damn weapons we wanted too....
[uzi]

[50]
View Quote

Don't forget about US Export laws. once you declare independance you are stuck with those. Declare war on the USA, surrender 2 hours later.
one island-nation did this and i forget why
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Unless there was a legally recognized town in place at an earlier time, one house and adjacent buildings don't meet the requirements for a "town".  What has happened around here is someone builds a mobile home park in an unincorporated area, gets just enough people to qualify to call an election then votes itself into existence.  The owners control all the affairs and it usually consists of a few acres with trailers and a liquor store.  The liquor store makes mountains of money.  These mobile home cities set up on the outskirts of a "dry" community and get rich selling booze to Baptists.

BTW how's that firearm-focused place in Nevada (Frontsight?) doing?  I think it would be a hoot to do a similar thing with firearms.
View Quote

That's exactly what has happened here. It's a mobile home town called Knollwood. It's about 100 mobile homes and a beer/liquor store/gas station.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn't some gun instruction business create is in the process of creating a Pro-gun city/neighborhood?

BrenLover
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Didn't some gun instruction business create is in the process of creating a Pro-gun city/neighborhood?

BrenLover
View Quote

Yup, Fronsight in Pahrump NV. As far as I know the Phase 1 area is already sold. Mainly CA folks. Go figure.

I am up for this little town in TX. I would also like to be elected Treasurer. Or at the very least town Constable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm, That would be a first.  You would have every sociologist in the nation down there.

Write Dubya and see if we can't get a law writen calling us a TEST community for capitalism.  In other words we will remain untouched and see how far we get as compared to the nation. I gaurentee you if they did that, we would have every large Company in the US HQ in our city overnight.  hahaha. I like it.
It would be manufacturing as far as the eye could see. You would have to trade your dollars for Gold when you came into town.  There would be an Atomic Reactor supplying the town with electricity.  Hmmm, A person could get use to that. In 50 years our city would be larger then NY.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:09:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That's exactly what has happened here. It's a mobile home town called Knollwood. It's about 100 mobile homes and a beer/liquor store/gas station.
View Quote

At least yours had the good taste to pick a real name.  Ours chose to name itself "Mobile City". [%|]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top