Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 7:45:27 PM EDT
I just bought a new house and every now and then there is a "tinking" in the ventilation system.  Usually when the heat is not running, just soon after.  I am a light sleeper and its loud enough its waking me up. Any way to quiet it down?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Mouse traps....

Bird traps...

Sticky pads that catch any crawling critters...

Ted...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely not critters.  Its a regular metallic sound.  It must have to do something with the ventilation system cooling or something, but its driving me crazy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Metal expands and contracts.  Sounds like that's what's happening as it cools, but I don't know specifically where to start looking.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
generally this is in the heater/cooler unit itself, the ducting is just perfect to conduct the sound. you will just have to get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
AMBIEN  10 mg  #30
sig 1 po @ HS.
NR

Lebrew

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AMBIEN  10 mg  #30
sig 1 po @ HS.
NR

Lebrew

View Quote

Say, if we print this out using an unintelligible font, can we actually use it? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
All I need is to develop a fondness for prescription medication.  Unfotunately the heater/furnace is right under my bedroom.  As a funny aside, I have lived in an apartment for the last 10 years.  I find myself trying to not make noise at night and trying to be courteous to my non existant neighbors!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top