Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2002 7:31:30 PM EDT

just about the only gun magazine I bother to buy anymore is SWAT.  the articles are useful, interesting and I always seem to learn something.  I hate most gun magazines because of there "evergreen" articles on X vs. X (.45 x 9mm, 9mm X 40sw, AR-15 X min-14),"the Newbie buys a gun article"  or the bogus gun test where some joker fires a weapon that doesn't fit them and just loves it even though it fails to function.  

what magazines do you like and why?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped buying most Gun Rags because I got tired of reading articles about the new Chevy Truck or the new all purpose knife.

I buy Shotgun News and that's it.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Shooting Times because it has quite a bit about reloading along with the usual reviews of new guns and accessories.  Also Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement has all the latest cool stuff.  Just about every month they review some type of AR15 type rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Two decent ones:  Rifle          Handloader
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
"Guns and Weapons For Law Enforcement"

[:D] you will love it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Rifle Shooter.
Guns&Weapons for Law Enforcement.
Shooting Times.

I'm down to just a few now, but, those are my favorites.
I try to pick up the special issues of different magazines if they've got what I'm looking for or are about certain firearms or calibers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns n Hooters
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I like Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement

There was Tactical Shooter, I heard it became something else.

Some of the mags are pretty crappy alright.  One time I swore I was looking at a weapon evaluation article that was almost verbatim identical to one that was in another mag less than a year before on the same gun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Gun Tests. They take no advertising or industry bribes and if the weap is dog doodoo they say so without hesitation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Small Arms Review IMHO is the most informative industry based magazine out there.

Alex
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Small arms Review, Gun Tests
and Shotgun News
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
American Handgunner. Soldier of Fortune.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"Guns and Weapons For Law Enforcement"

View Quote

I really like this mag...

Funny how few LEOs read it. Sometimes I really agree on the articles, sometimes I wonder if the authors reached 9th grade. I still like it though.

Shot Gun News rules - not much for content though... but we buy it for the ads, right?

Waaaay back, I liked Peterson's Handguns, when [b]Duane Thomas[/b] wrote for them a lot. That guy was awesome!!! The best gunwriter IMO, period.

No flames intended... it's 2AM and I have got to the at the ER for work in the AM... just tired.

Eric/Tyler

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I only subscribe to SGN and Guns & Ammo.  I get G & A only to read Col. Cooper's column.  He is a national treasure, IMHO.  I hope to read every word he writes for as long as we have him to enjoy.  I often buy Shooting Times after paging through it.  I am a shooter, not a collector, so they tend to cater more to my whims.  YMMV
View Quote

It's going to be a very sad day when Colonel Cooper passes from this life.  His wit and wisdom, gained from a lifetime of real-world experience, trumps the opinions of any of the "new generation" of gun writers.

For those who don't know, here is a link to some of his commentaries:

[url]http://www.dvc.org.uk/~johnny/jeff/[/url]

Oh yeah, the only magazine I subscribe to is American Rifleman.  Ya get it free with your NRA membership. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]Gun Tests Magazine[/b] only one worth anything, IMHO.

Mike

PS- SOF (great mag), has gun reviews but wouldn't refer to it as a gun magazine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:06:03 AM EDT
[#16]
SAR and SGN are about the only ones I get, well I do get the American Rifleman as an NRA Life Member.

What I would like to see, is something that focus' on C&R weapons or maybe Military stuff.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I gave up on the mag rack gun rags...just too many articles about why the Win 94 lever gun is better than those nasty black assault rifles.

"The Accurate Rifle" is geared towards long range and tactical shooting.

"Precision Shooting" is geared toward the benchrest crowd, but contains excellent articles about accurizing rifles and load development.

Neither are found on the rack or the local Circle K or 7-11. Do a web search. They have sample articles on line.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys,
is guntests a mail order only deal or do they have it a BN?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I subscribe to American Handgunner, they seem have a lot articles about shooting, as in ISPC etc. Solder of Fortune for stuff you don't see in the regular rags involving guns etc. And of course I get NRA's American Rifleman, because I'm a member; and they have some good stuff in there every so often. Other than that, I buy the magazines at the newsstand whenever I seen something that tickles my fancy. I just can't see subscribing to magazine to get a few articles I like and throwing away the rest of the the year's subscription. BUT, some firearms magazines are getting really hard to find at many politically correct super markets. I have heard that SOF and SGN is not as plentiful as it once were, I have heard that some people have to search for them in some areas of the U.S.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#21]
What ever happened to Tactical Shooter?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I read Precision Shooting.  The writting is outstanding and the cover photos are second to none.  Most of the topics center around benchrest with a bit of precision handloading and highpower shooting included.  They have a sister publication The Accurate Rifle, haven't gotten my subcription yet.  The only real rag that I read cover to cover.  Best thing is they work the advertisments so that the article starts on a page and goes until complete, not the crap of having one page then start another article and cram all of the endings together in the back, that is one thing that pisses me off about Amer. Rifleman.

TRW

[url]www.precisionshooting.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I prefer 30rd USGI magazines, personally...[BD]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Guns magazine and Gun Test magazine are two that I gave up on.

Guns sent a renewal notice that stated they [i]might[/i] not be able to take new subscriptions in the future because the cost of paper would be too high!
I wrote back and said their ploy backfired and I would not be renewing.  Lately, they've sent a notice that the subscription manager is wondering why there aren't more renewals...

Gun Test magazine was a favorite for years, but, they got to be so frikkin' nitpickey about things I couldn't stand it.
The difference of .1 of an inch at 25-yds. between two guns would make one of them a "conditional buy".  Gimme a break.
One pistol comparison had the lighter gun labeled a "buy" and the heavier gun a "conditional buy"...the difference?  The HEAVIER gun had too much 'felt recoil'.  The difference in weight was 12oz.  Go figure.
I gave them a "don't buy".
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Most of the Gun Rags write up articles frequently filled with lies just to sell guns.
The reason is that they get most of their money in advertisements from Gun Manufacturers.

However in spite of this there are some good magazines out there.

[b]Shotgun News[/b]: good for finding deals on guns, ammo and parts.

[b]Gun Tests[/b]: a magazine which does NOT take any ads. They make rather accurate evaluations of guns..by buying them off the shelf of randomly selected gun stores.

(Whereas Gun Rags such as Guns and Ammo: get their firearms from the manufacturer..which you know is going to be gunsmithed for accuracy and reliability..)

[b]Precision Shooting[/b]: a very good magazine on precision shooting.

[b]The Accurate Rifle[/b]: another good magazine on accurate rifles.

[url]http://www.precisionshooting.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.theaccuraterifle.com/[/url]

These last two magazines give you information on acheiving precision out of your handloads and your rifle.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,
is guntests a mail order only deal or do they have it a BN?
View Quote

The mag is sent to my home monthly. The subscription allows me to also access it in its entirety on line. One thing that is pretty cool is that the mag comes ready to be placed in a binder. They will also readily print back issues or you can download them for a fee. I don't know what you mean by BN. Sorry.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I prefer 30rd USGI magazines, personally...[BD]
View Quote
20 rounders for me :)
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Small Arms Review IMHO is the most informative industry based magazine out there.

Alex
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself. I also have a sub. to shotgun news. Used to have G& W4LE but let it lapse. To me it was the "same shit different day" mag.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:59:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Heres another vote for Rifle and Handloader. These are usually more tech. than many others and over the years I have learned much from them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Come on guys, You're all talking like you're into the respective magazines for the articles....You know you really get them for the pictures.

[:P]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know about Gun Magazines per say.

I have always been a fan of:
Field&Stream
Sports a'Field
American Rifleman.

When I was 12 years old I was reading my Grandpa's American Rifleman magazine at the lake and low and behold there she was. A Colt Sporter H-Bar 20" Bayo LUG & Flash Supressor. OOOOHH!!! I thought. that is how my love affair began, little did I know that it would be 16 or 17 years later before I would get my first AR and what was then $600/700 dollars would cost me over $2000.00 now if I wanted it.  So I am a late starter to say the least and all I got is post-ban stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I like SOF when I can find it.  Not because I'm a poser, but because it gives a really good "ground view" of alot of conflicts that the regular media sort of glosses over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#37]
My personal favorite is Shooting Times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top