Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2011 12:47:58 PM EDT
Probably throwing fresh meat into pirahna-infested waters of gluttony that is GD, but what the heck..

Back in December I started selling-off guitars, amps, etc. Just TIRED of the clutter. Tired of my collections owning me. Etc, etc, etc. I did take the income generated from selling all that crap, to upgrade to higher-end stuff, in much less quantity and much higher quality. But overall, I'm sick of piles of "crap". Want to simplify my life. And part of that simplification is weeding-out the stuff that needs space to be stored-in, etc. Stuff that might have real value post-SHTF stays. Mindless little collections of man toys goes. Haven't sold any guns/ammo, and I don't intend to. But the safe is full and after years of acquiring 3-4+ guns a year –– I stopped doing that a year ago. Last gun I bought was my 1943 M1 Garand back in Jan '10 (if you don't count the Rem Sportsman 48 I picked-up for nothing last summer).

Also, I believe that we're facing some seriously hard times very soon and I'm liquidating many things that I have that have value now that will have no value in such times. It's a gamble. Got a friend who's got a large collection of custom Ibanez guitars that he bought at cost all-through the '90s as a dealer. He never plays them and has been considering selling them. I'm nudging him a bit to do just that while they still have value. No tellin where they'll end-up in terms of value. I suggested that he'd be better off selling a bunch, therefore freeing-up the space in his cool, dark closet where they currently reside –– which he can then replace with some food and supplies that might benefit him in hard times (he has no preps for he, his wife, and his kids now). I told him that I figure that solid body electric guitars and amps probably don't have much value in certain parts of Japan right now to illustrate my point. Anyways... I'm selling some of his amps and gear for him on my ebay account as it is. He's going to keep most of his best stuff that he uses (Bogner amps and Anderson guitars). And that's cool, as I'm keeping mine too. But why not get rid of the crap that goes unused while it still has value?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup... stuff that no longer serves a daily purpose, or stuff that no longer interests me... I put hard earned currency into those items, and it'd be nice to get some of it back...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mowtownsteve was just talking about this last week IIRC.

We all downsize eventually. If you are smart you do it soon enough that your heirs dont have to do it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm about to move in to a new place that may be temporary so I started looking at what I can get rid of to make the move easier.  I have a lot of stuff that I thought was cool and that I thought I needed to keep that I realize I don't really need.  My rationale is that if I haven't used that item since I bought it then I probably don't need it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had stuff to throw out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't say I've been selling stuff for the same reasons you are, but extra stuff I have parted ways with. Tastes change over time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I traded a CETME for a blue Sig P232 w/2 mags & night sights.

Does this count?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope.  In fact, I think I need a farm just so I can fill the outbuildings and line the field edges with rusty old things.  "I might be able to use that someday."  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep , wish I could sell more but things don't move like they use to....
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope.  In fact, I think I need a farm just so I can fill the outbuildings and line the field edges with rusty old things.  "I might be able to use that someday."  

Hoarder! I can be a bit that way, but I'm trying to overcome it. As someone said above, it creates a REAL hassle for your loved-ones to have to deal with when you die. I keep a spreadsheet with all of my belongings of value listed on it –– values, serial numbers, etc. Lately, I've been deleting a lines on it... which is a BIG change from adding line after line. The smaller the better...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah I do it all the time. I usually trim down
things to make room and money for new stuff. My most
recent was selling my old mbus sights so I could upgrade to the gen 2s
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, getting ready to do a garage sale.

Some days, I look at the amount of useless crap in my house, especially the kids toy and I just want to take it all out the lawn and set it on fire.

On top of that I pay $50/month to store more useless crap, I never even look at.

Somedays, I just want to pull a Heimo
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep , wish I could sell more but things don't move like they use to....

Ain't that the truth. I've still got a few guitars and such that I don't play that I want to sell... but just can't bring myself to do it considering what similar guitars are bringing right now. Trying to wait a bit on those to see if the prices go up a bit.

Wish I'd been hoarding silver and gold all these years!!!

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I sold a bunch of stuff.

It somehow - magically - morphed into a suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple valuable things.  Wife and kids know what they are and how to value.  The rest of what I own is broken or anonymous crap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I am pretty bad at selling stuff I have bought. I am cutting down on buying more stuff because I am getting the old man disease. 9mm for $10 a box? I used to buy 50 for $5.99, highway robbery.

I did unload some beat up AR's in Obama's first month for over purchase price. Thanks Barack!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd like to.
But I like my stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tools / equipment  and guns ( including ammo-reloading supplies-accs) are my two worst passions .........and I'll not thin either of those herds .

I intend to increase camping / survival gear next

Worthless electrical gizmos / toys / recreational items havent been high on my pack-ratting lists for at least 15 years .....books are cheap
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Its a good idea, I need to do it as well.

Less clutter and stuff makes more time do do what you want. Makes your life easier.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I always get rid of stuff I don't use.  Had a bunch of nice guitars, Taylor 310CE, Sunburst Fender Custom, Ibanez RG.  Life changed and I had another child.  No time to play guitar.  I sold them all except my cheap acoustic.  Had a PS3 that I wasnt using so I sold it.  My moddo is that if I am not using it and it is worth something I could sell it and use the money to pay bills or for something that I will actually use.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been selling tons of stuff... I think I've become a minimalist.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its a good idea, I need to do it as well.

Less clutter and stuff makes more time do do what you want. Makes your life easier.

Yep, less stuff equals less stress.

So I've heard anyways but I see absolute truth to it since I own multiple houses.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We all downsize eventually. If you are smart you do it soon enough that your heirs dont have to do it.

Don't get me started.  My grandma passed away 20 years ago and I swear my mom didn't throw away anything she owned.  My mom passed away six years ago and I'm still going through both their stuff.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I really have been doing the opposite. I have never really had a lot of "stuff" in my life. I have a decent collection of mil-surp guns, and I am learning more and more about working on 1911s (building a few up from scratch). I see inflation on the horizon (much like it was in the mid to late 70s), so I have been stocking up.

The wife and I do not have any children, and I will be damned if I will leave anything for the cats to squander.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I do have a lot of guitars and a couple amps I need to move out.  Playing music is something I'm no longer interested in doing on any kind of regular basis.

I also have a lot of marginal technology sitting around (fax machines, printers, etc.) that I need to get rid of.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Cant stand clutter. Grew up in a house that stayed clean and minimal thanks to my mom so I cant stand things piling up or unorganized.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been selling my guns and ammo

I can only carry so much with me, I was having trouble shooting all of my guns in a year, I've made some really good money by thinning out the collection.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm trying to.  

My wife on the other hand...  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I am buying up goods by the handfulls; I need to start finding some junk to sell off.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, mostly as a lifestyle change (all the stuff I own really seems to own me), but also because we are for the first time as a family, moving 1,000 miles away from home.  Most of the stuff in our life is not important.

I am undecided about selling firearms, however.  I've only ever sold two, and I regret both.  That said, I have too many now...

I also have a collection of beer glasses from around the world –– WTH do you do with that other than throw it out?  E bay?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm thinking about selling my USA Jackson Soloist SL-1.  I bought it off Ebay a couple of years ago and never really played it.  It was my first USA-made Jackson, but not my first Jackson guitar.  Honestly, I like my Japanese Dinky XL and RR24 better than the Soloist.  The neck is just ever-so-slightly too thick for me.  Unfortunately, it's my prettiest guitar.  It's got a beautiful flame maple top with a transparent blue finish and chrome hardware.  Whoever owned it before installed what I believe to be a DiMarzio pickup in the bridge position, so yesterday I ordered a Seymour Duncan TB-4 JB pickup.  I'm going to install that to bring it back to stock configuration and then clean it up and sell it.  It kind of makes me sad because I never thought I would sell a guitar, but this thing just lives in its case right now.  Someone else could make much better use of it than I have.

If your friend is going to be selling a bunch of nice Ibanez guitars, do you think you could put together a list of what he wants to sell?  My lone Ibanez S1220-WNF needs a friend and I am very interested in seeing what he has.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#31]
In the event of inflation, will it be better to have that stuff to sell to get cash so hoarde away?

While everybody else is paying $20 a box for 9mm, you can be shooting your $9 value packs.

Or selling your $2000 Colt you only paid $1000 for?

Or will it be with inflation, everybody has to spend all their money on food and gas and no one will be buying guns and ammo?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been cleaning out my garage and found stuff I forgot I had and have no idea where I got it from. Like an ocilliscope , frequency generator, 1.5 ghz spectrum analyzer, capacitor inductor tester, 2.5 kv dc adjustable power supply. I'll just ebay it all. It was all free to begin with so don't care to much.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate having stuff lying around.  

My rule of thumb is if we haven't used it in the last year, it's getting sold, tossed, or donated.

If, when we're doing our spring clean-up, my wife or I utter "I haven't seen this in FOREVER" or "I forgot we still had this" it's getting sold, tossed, or donated.

Of course, there are a few exceptions for things like yearbooks, family heirlooms, and pictures.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a cheap Bullet (Fender) stratocaster that I haven't played in over fifteen years.   Tremolo works but it won't return to tune.  I also have a Zoom 9002 effects box (endorsed by Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi, csb) which won't work off battery power ....

I really should pull a Pete Townsend on it but I can't bring myself to throw it out.  It was my first electric guitar and I've had it since high school.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm trying to.  

My wife on the other hand...  

So, you tried to sell your wife and she punched you in the eye?  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Been doing this over the last year. I need time to go through it and list it all.

Some of it is going to be a PITA, it's all little piddly stuff. like, almost not worth selling because the shipping will eat it all up type thing. But it's got to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Not really "just because"

More like "I havent used this and I probably wont ever so it needs to go"

I can be a packrat but there are times when ill go through and clean out a good portion of stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If your friend is going to be selling a bunch of nice Ibanez guitars, do you think you could put together a list of what he wants to sell?  My lone Ibanez S1220-WNF needs a friend and I am very interested in seeing what he has.  Thanks!

Will do if/when he decides to pull the trigger. He's got like a dozen custom shop, custom-painted Ibanez's that were sold to dealers only during those days. They're pretty rare.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've got a cheap Bullet (Fender) stratocaster that I haven't played in over fifteen years.   Tremolo works but it won't return to tune.  I also have a Zoom 9002 effects box (endorsed by Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi, csb) which won't work off battery power ....

I really should pull a Pete Townsend on it but I can't bring myself to throw it out.  It was my first electric guitar and I've had it since high school.

I had a 9002 back in the 90's! Richie supposedly recorded all of his first solo album with that unit. Wasn't a bad unit, but hard for me to believe it was good enough for that. I ended-up giving mine to my dad to play around with years ago. My recording/practice rig right now is my Eleven Rack. The difference between it and the 9002 is the difference between a Chevy Chevette and the Space Shuttle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes, I have been selling stuff that I didn't use.  2 handguns, 2 camera lenses, and a Fender Amp come to mind.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I also have a collection of beer glasses from around the world –– WTH do you do with that other than throw it out?  E bay?

Yup! Ebay is the way! Used to be that you had to take a bath selling your stuff at a pawn shop or waste money listing it in the newspaper. But there are always millions of people looking to fill the hole in their soul by buying useless crap on Ebay. I know... because I've been doing it for 10 years!  

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I do have a lot of guitars and a couple amps I need to move out.  Playing music is something I'm no longer interested in doing on any kind of regular basis.

I also have a lot of marginal technology sitting around (fax machines, printers, etc.) that I need to get rid of.

I still love playing music more than ever. I just joined a new band after quitting my last band of 14 years. But I've whittled my rig mostly down to the good stuff and it's mostly all I wanna play any more. I finally upgraded to my "dream rig" in December... and a big part of why I was able to do that was because I sold off so much lesser stuff. Win-win!

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Yep.

And every time I watch "Hoarders" I get rid of a little more.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 9002 back in the 90's! Richie supposedly recorded all of his first solo album with that unit. Wasn't a bad unit, but hard for me to believe it was good enough for that. I ended-up giving mine to my dad to play around with years ago. My recording/practice rig right now is my Eleven Rack. The difference between it and the 9002 is the difference between a Chevy Chevette and the Space Shuttle.

Yeah I never understood why he would use a 9002 when the distortion effect on it was so ... subpar.  Then again I'm sure he had a better amp/speaker combo than my cheapo Peavey combo.    

PS Richie lives about 20 minutes walking distance from me ... then again he lives in a $2 million, 5,000 sq ft+ condo  and I live in considerable squalor by comparison ...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#45]
My wife is great at decluttering the house at least every other month.  So we tend to not have a lot of "stuff" around that doesn't get used except for baby stuff (I'm pretty sure my wife is hoping for one more kid).  

Personally I've been upgrading my gun collection little by little over the past two years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, I have been selling stuff that I didn't use.  2 handguns, 2 camera lenses, and a Fender Amp come to mind.

I sold-off my entire DSLR rig a year ago. Camera, external flash, bunch of glass, filters, all the accessories. I realized that I'm just a "snapshot taker" and that my P&S camera gave me just as good of photos as my SLR rig.

I'm a good enough guitar player to warrant my expensive tastes (been playing for almost 27 years and gigging for 24+). But my photog "skills" were lacking. I know how to use the gear –– but I have NO creative eye for it. My pictures may be somewhat clear, but they are BORING!  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My wife is great at decluttering the house at least every other month.  So we tend to not have a lot of "stuff" around that doesn't get used except for baby stuff (I'm pretty sure my wife is hoping for one more kid).  

Personally I've been upgrading my gun collection little by little over the past two years.

I've been doing that since I joined this site over 7 years ago. And that's why last year I just suddenly went from "I NEED this, I NEED That" to "I rarely shoot the ones I got... WHY do I need another one???". Can't believe that I finally got to that point cause I thought I could NEVER have "enough" guns. It's not like there aren't a few more I'd like (Barrett M82, .338 Lapua, S&W .500, etc). But I certainly don't really "need" them and I most-certainly wouldn't shoot them very much even if I did get them. My fire-rated 18-gun safe is full, my 8-gun, cheap-O Stack-On safe is full (.22 rifles). I don't wanna buy another safe. just finally saturated my own market I guess.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Do you know what they say about a man that dies without a penny to his name?

He timed that just about right....

The more things you get, the more you want
just trade in one for another
workin' so hard to make it easy
got to turn, come on
turn this thing around
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been doing that since I joined this site over 7 years ago. And that's why last year I just suddenly went from "I NEED this, I NEED That" to "I rarely shoot the ones I got... WHY do I need another one???". Can't believe that I finally got to that point cause I thought I could NEVER have "enough" guns. It's not like there aren't a few more I'd like (Barrett M82, .338 Lapua, S&W .500, etc). But I certainly don't really "need" them and I most-certainly wouldn't shoot them very much even if I did get them. My fire-rated 18-gun safe is full, my 8-gun, cheap-O Stack-On safe is full (.22 rifles). I don't wanna buy another safe. just finally saturated my own market I guess.

Stop bragging.  You're going to give me a complex.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you know what they say about a man that dies without a penny to his name?

He timed that just about right....

Amen to that!  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top