Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2011 5:26:00 AM EDT
Many, maybe most, police family members in Phoenix have a license plate frame that says "KOA-789," which is the FCC call sign for the Phoenix PD radio net.  I can't think of any other purpose for those frames than to subtely identify family members to other cops for the obvious purpose of relaxed enforcement.  Does your local PD do the same?  Is there some good reason that cop's POVs need to be marked as such in a low key manner?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be illegal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#2]
same reason we put a BFL on our truck or fraternity members have stickers or plate frames, Heck in TN we have special tags for almost any organization.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a little star sticker on the back of my Jeep.  It really didn't keep me from getting tickets from the Ohio Highway Patrol.  We quit using those stickers a few years back as our Sheriff prefers a more low-key approach for personal vehicles and off-duty behaviour.  

The sticker basically identified me as someone who was likely armed in the vehicle.  That was our rationale.  Now that CCW is widely available it's just not a concern.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Around here its FOP medallions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it's dumb and just serves as a target for BGs to get revenge on family members.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Fire department stickers worked up in Seattle as well as in Austin.  However, Austin has something even better, it's called the "100 club," and you get a sticker for donating $100 to the PD for the families of fallen officers.  Some people overlap them year after year, the most I've seen is about 10 on a single car.

I haven't had to use it, but come to find out that a CHL here in TX is a good way of getting out of a ticket, and simply getting a warning.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Many, maybe most, police family members in Phoenix have a license plate frame that says "KOA-789," which is the FCC call sign for the Phoenix PD radio net.  I can't think of any other purpose for those frames than to subtely identify family members to other cops for the obvious purpose of relaxed enforcement.  Does your local PD do the same?  Is there some good reason that cop's POVs need to be marked as such in a low key manner?

that sounds like a load of bullshit.
serves no purpose other than letting them get away with traffic crimes
just goes to show that its all about revenue generation, not "saving lives"
if they truly believed it was "saving lives" they would pull over the LEO families more often, to protect their "brothers" family from the speed that kills...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like poor implementation of PERSEC to me
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#9]
OH TEH NOES!

Seriously though, I wouldn't have one on my car. Nor would I let my family put them on their cars.

No sense in advertising.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup. Except it is open to most anybody.

You just have to donate a certain amount as a booster and you will received a distinctly colored/shaped window sticker. Many even put them on their plates (though I understand you aren't supposed to do that). So it can't be missed by the officer running your plates.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:49:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a fan of this type of stuff. Just like those FOP stickers, it's like saying, "I donate money to the police, so don't give me a ticket"
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not a fan of this type of stuff. Just like those FOP stickers, it's like saying, "I donate money to the police, so don't give me a ticket"
Well... yeah.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]

...some animals are more equal than the others....
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:03:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think it's dumb and just serves as a target for BGs to get revenge on family members.

My first thought as well.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#18]
In Mi. there are quite a few MSPxxxx license plates.

Upon investgation they belong to active and retired Michigan State Police.

Maybe it gets a pass on the way home from the tavern.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Here, if you donate money to the right org you get a Thin Blue Line (black background with a horizontal thin blue line running through it).sticker.  Took me forever to find out what they were.  People claim they work though.   I wouldn't know about that, I give my money to Veterans orgs instead.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Around here if you have those kinds of stickers on your car you are probably a druggie, the druggies out here think the sticker will make cops ignore them but all it does is guaranty the drug dog will be out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
All I see here are the black and blue stickers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Driving in CA the craziest folks on the road usually have the CHP 11-99 Foundation frame (and a > $100K car)
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Should be illegal.

The first amendment to the constitution should be illegal?

That being said I don't put shit on my POV that says what I do, I'm not a FF

My wife manages to pay a speeding ticket every few years BTW.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Isn't it nertheastern state that has membership cards in a get out of ticket club?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This.  I have nothing at all LE-related on either of my vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I have nothing at all LE-related on either of my vehicles.

This and at least around here, they tend to have te opposite effect. If I'm on the fence about making a stop and I see the sticker or other identifying mark, that makes up my mind to go ahead and make the stop. The thin blue line sticker is a favorite among local thugs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Because outside of movies,this is really a common occurance...

I guess the "thin blue line" sticker isn't enough to show that some animals are more equal than others.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#28]
You can get license plate frames with just about anything on them... The one on my truck says San Francisco Giants Fan...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Md has organization themed license plates for a fee, one organization happens to be the FOP.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
PBA stickers and cards on Long Island.

At least that is how it was when I was growing up.

In California it is the CHP 11-99 foundation license plate frames. Most of my (very wealthy) clients have them. Some have gone years without license plates, just the frame. They never seem to get cited for anything.

Ca also issues a FF plate, seems like everybody even distantly related to a firefighter has one on their car. (also little helmet stickers).

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#31]
That's just asking for a key down the side, boot to the door, ice pick to the tires, or even harm to the family. I'm good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I had the "Los Angeles KMA-367" frame when I was younger. Very few people outside LA even know what it is.
It didn't help, if anything it caused more friction, as my address was also confidential.
I always got the lecture that I should know better, as my dad was a former Deputy Chief.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or get your vehicle keyed.

Local gang is targeting LE by these license frames.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember we had a police man in our city who was the PR guy.  Was on the public access show, visited our elementary school.  He was our favorate guy after the lizard guy of course.

This girl I hung out with had a dad on the force.  He pulled over the PR guy's son and the son indicated who his dad was.  The officer came back with a ticket and said "here, show your dad this."  

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Makes it that much easier to get the frequencies they use from the FCC.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I think it's KMA 911 here
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Around here if you have those kinds of stickers on your car you are probably a druggie, the druggies out here think the sticker will make cops ignore them but all it does is guaranty the drug dog will be out.

This.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Las Vegas, NV LE (Clark County) has one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Some have responded that "you can get plates/frames/stickers" to show your affinity for anything.

So a "KOA-789" license plate serves the purpose of showing the vehicle owners enthusiasm for a particular radio call identifier?  

I do see the FOP and various badge stickers on cars too.  Straight forward in meaning.  A radio freq that belongs to a certain organization is clearly meant to be on the down low, and only have meaning to certain people,  otherwise they would just have Phoenix PD bumperstickers to show organizational pride.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The illegals do it here.  There's a direct correlation between the number of LE decals and the number of violations in/on the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because outside of movies,this is really a common occurance...

I guess the "thin blue line" sticker isn't enough to show that some animals are more equal than others.

rare or not, and it's not depending on where you are, there is no reason I would put my family in jeopardy like that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"Get Outta Jail Free" badges.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I remember growing up the kids of CHP offficers had KA 4993 frames to ID them.

Car did get keyed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top