Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2011 5:23:45 AM EDT
I know the answer is highly individualistic, but I do not get the city thing much.

From 1-10 years old I lived 20 minutes from DC, when 10 we moved out to the more rural burbs 40 minutes outside of DC to a town about about 3000 with cow farms.
Now I live about 40 minutes from DC but in northern VA suburbs. I can be in the country in 15 minutes.
I think I have lived a pretty balanced life between city and country.

I have been to many cities, and even spent 24 hours alone in New York City sight seeing and survived just fine. Even had a good time.
I also have spent plenty of time on farms, in the woods, in the middle of nowhere.

I have a friend who grew up in nothing but city. We went on a work trip that involved us driving several hours into the country and she was amazed, completely astounded and a little afraid at how many trees there were.

I mentioned taking my girlfriend for a romantic getaway and she started suggesting things in NYC or in DC and I stopped her and said "getaway!". It is supposed to be relaxing.
But to her, the city is relaxing. Taking in the sights or a show, eating at a fancy restaurant you have to make a reservation at and pay an arm and leg to park at is relaxing. Luckily she is not my gf. My gf shares my views on what is relaxing.

I am sticking to my mountain resort in the Shenandoah.

So what is more relaxing/fun/appealing to you?

City:

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Country for sure.

Too many phallic symbols in them city pictures.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll take somewhere waaaaaaay in the background of the second pic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm happy with both.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a city mouse, no doubt about it. I like living somewhere where there's a lot to do, at almost any time of the day or night.

However, city life can get stressful at times, and I do like to "get away from it all" every once in a while.

I hope to someday have small place somewhere quiet that I can get away to, maybe once a month or so, just to decompress.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck the city. If I had my way, I'd live at what Douglas Adams referred to as "Point D."

Point D is pleasingly distant from points A, B, and C, yet still within walking distance of point E, the local pub.

In my case, point D is also on a ~3500ft paved private runway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely the country.  No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Country.  I grew up in the country but have lived in large cities for 30+ years.  Time to move back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Different strokes for different folks.   Back some years ago a girl I was dating moved to DC for her career.  I drove up there - from TN - with her to find a place to live and later flew there to visit.  It was an ok place, but I never really felt comfortable being there.  She loved it.

We were just different kinds of people, really.  At one point we talked about flying somewhere to meet for a weekend getaway and her suggetion was New York City.  Mine was Montana .. or Wyoming...   We ended up not going anywhere and the relationship did pretty much the same.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks.   Back some years ago a girl I was dating moved to DC for her career.  I drove up there - from TN - with her to find a place to live and later flew there to visit.  It was an ok place, but I never really felt comfortable being there.  She loved it.

We were just different kinds of people, really.  At one point we talked about flying somewhere to meet for a weekend getaway and her suggetion was New York City.  Mine was Montana .. or Wyoming...   We ended up not going anywhere and the relationship did pretty much the same.

I guess I am just not social enough. The thought of being surrounded by people. Waiting in lines, traffic. Dealing with people is the furthest thing from relaxing or romantic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm a suburbs-type guy.  I don't like the congestion of the city, but I hate being in the middle of fuckin' nowhere, where getting groceries is a 4 hour endevor, or going to a nice restaurant takes a half-day committment.

So I picked "both."

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I am a country boy deep down but I currently live in the city.

My ideal location would be about 30 minutes outside of city limits on a farm.

I like raising animals and shooting guns... But a 30 minute commute to the city is definitely ideal.

I miss living on a dirt road in Alabama...Hopefully I can find a similar area in Idaho once I get done with college.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Definitely the country.  No doubt about it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Put me as far away from the city as is reasonable.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I like being on the outskirts of a city. You are close enough to get all the benefits after a short ride, but it is country enough that you don't have to put up with all the big city bullshit.

If I had to pick one or the other: country.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Suburbia with easy access to city and country.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I grew up in the cities.  lived just outside of Los Angeles till I was 12, then we moved south of Houston TX.  lived there till i was 19.

then I got the fuck out and hit the country.

I like where I am now.  it's only a 20 minute drive to a medium sized city that has all I would ever need.  but I am far enough away to not deal with the bullshit.

and I can shoot in my backyard (10 acres)
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in small cities (San Bernardino County, CA and around Utah Country, UT), and while having anything you could ever want at any time of day is appealing, going out into the country is really what is relaxing to me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#19]
My town has 400 people. That out to tell you something. Way out in the boondocks where there is hardly any people is how I like it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't like either.  I like the suburban area I live in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Cities can be fun and interesting, but not really relaxing in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I like being on the outskirts of a city. You are close enough to get all the benefits after a short ride, but it is country enough that you don't have to put up with all the big city bullshit.

If I had to pick one or the other: country.

Yep! Exactly my thoughts on it.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#23]
There are cities and rural areas that are fantastic and there are cities and rural areas whose value would be improved by nuclear testing.

If I were to live somewhere I would choose to live in a city. If I were to relax I would want somewhere along the coast, not necessarily with a beach, with very few people, good seafood, and a good humidor and wine cellar.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Country. I enjoy the peace and quiet.

Lots of people like energy all around them and you cant get much closer to that than living in the city. No fault in that...everyone is different.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Country
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

There are cities and rural areas that are fantastic and there are cities and rural areas whose value would be improved by nuclear testing.

If I were to live somewhere I would choose to live in a city. If I were to relax I would want somewhere along the coast, not necessarily with a beach, with very few people, good seafood, and a good humidor and wine cellar.
The truth... you speak it.

(Hey, your avatar... is that Michael Caine from "Play Dirty?")

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Variety is the spice of life.  I've had great times in Tokyo & Lumberton, Mississippi.

Maybe not so much Tokyo these days though
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#28]
I grew up in a large City and lived in very large city's over the years. I am more happy now in the country
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:20:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Country, city, suburbs. In that order.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Country, but close enough to grocery stores and such so that I'm not driving 2+ hours one way to get stuff.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Although I love the concerts that happen in the area I'm in (Virginia Beach), I much prefer the country for living. I'd gladly drive 5-6+ hours for a concert.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#32]
The beach
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Country place.  Guns and shit.  Enough said.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#34]
A bit of both.

I like to live in the "country" and visit the city.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Country place.  Guns and shit.  Enough said.

Keith J, I know I've said it before, but you are pretty much awesome. Some day I'm gonna come to Texas to meet you, go do some hunting for pigs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I work in DC but commute in from 40 miles out; it comes out to a 1 1/2 hour commute which seriously blows.  I'd pick the country anytime over the city.  Cities are too full of bullshit let alone DC.  I haven't spent too much time in other cities but there's way to much political swill and "pretend work/progress" here.

If I had the option I'd move further away but I need to pay the bills.

OP, where in VA are you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top