Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 7:29:10 PM EDT

Welcome to my nightmare tonight.

A buddy of mine and I decided to each tan one of our deer hides from this past season with one of these mail-order kits.  We started the process last week which includes pressure washing the meat off to bare skin underneath and fur on the opposite side.  

Fast forward to today, at night, after the hides have soaked in chemicals and been transferred between buckets outside of his house at least once a day since beginning last week - I go over to help him stretch them out and notice hundreds of little tiny specks in the dim porch light as we are stretching.  The comment is made that they must have picked up some dirt from laying outside curing.  We then look closer, only to find HUNDREDS of little tiny, brown ticks spread all over the fleshy white portion of the hide, and transferred on our hands, clothes, and gosh knows where else.

Luckily, and thank GOD that the little demons were >mostly< all dead, having been soaking in acidic chemicals.  How they got there, I have no idea.  Does anyone have an idea?  They were all tiny as if babies or a smaller specimen than I am used to seeing, on both hides equally in number.  Could it have been an egg or something that travelled with one of the hides and finally... hatched?  Here is what it looked like:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't call them deer ticks for nothing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd venture to guess the hide was infested already when the deer was still alive. 'Ware the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Earthquakes. Tsunami's. Fires and floods. And now ticks.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Kill it with fire
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They don't call them deer ticks for nothing.

LOL. Yep.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Most deer have a lot of ticks. I never noticed till my taxidermist friend mentioned not to let my dog near a deer hide. The next deer I killed, I looked it over and moved the hair around some and there were hundreds of them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
they are called seed ticks.....and yep they the debill.......
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd venture to guess the hide was infested already when the deer was still alive. 'Ware the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Lyme Disease.

This, and Fixt.

Ixodes scapularis

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot a mule dear in Wyoming, and was packing the head/cape out and when I went to put it down, the head was completely covered in hundreds of ticks.  I guess that was the warmest part, and they all crawled there.  Creeped me out pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I adopted a lab .. the rescue said they took 100+ ticks off him. At 225 and the second bath I was losing my mind! Poor bastard was so loaded with ticks
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Many years ago i was walking across a small wooden bridge.  Stood on the edge looking over the side to the creek bellow and noticed dozens of ticks crawling up my legs.  It was not a good time.  None attached, but sill....  

Must have walked through a nest or something.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Ughhh  **shudders** I hate those fucking things.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't seen a tick since I left NC
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Very few things skeeve me out like ticks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.....they're just fucking weird and disgusting.  Serve absolutely no purpose on this Earth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#18]
had lyme disease when i was in high school, not a fun disease.  Hated the sight of ticks ever since.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fuck.

And to top it off, a beached Koi.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have seen one in my entire life and I thought it was disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen one in my entire life and I thought it was disgusting.

I have been covered in them, crawling all over me, dozens clamped on sucking my blood, and every single one of them was fucking disgusting.  

ETA:  Fuck.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
ticks can live for 5 years without eating....... just waiting for the next victim to walk by....... seriously. i bet they were on the hide the whole time, and were killed by the chemicals.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.....they're just fucking weird and disgusting.  Serve absolutely no purpose on this Earth.

I used to think that until I realized one day.. Neither do we.
But I still hate the fuckers That was the nice thing about Hawaii, you could roll through the nastiest jungle imaginable..No ticks. Florida on the other hand, I walk out to get my mail and pick up a couple of the fuckers. Buddy of mine went tramping through a stand of palmettos once, told him not to do it. Sure enough he comes back, hundreds of little seed ticks crawling all over the poor bastard.

Here's what they look like up close

And in this picture you can kind of see the barbed hypostome they stick in you.. The barbs are why they are so hard to pull off without loosing their mouth pieces, they literally rip off instead of dislodging.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Now I'm itching all over.

Fuck Ticks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
That's just about as bad as some of those pics from the walmart people threads....almost makes me want to bleach my mind.....

I too hate those fuckers. Thank God for Permethrin......I use it all the time in SW Missouri.........

Saw the first one on my jeans last week. Fuck. Almost creaps me out worse than the first time I saw the Alien movies.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I took the cap off the sight on one of the mortar tubes near my hootch and went to look in and found about 20 tiny ticks inside of it.  Gross.  I cant even imagine getting a tick on my eyeball.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I took the cap off the sight on one of the mortar tubes near my hootch and went to look in and found about 20 tiny ticks inside of it.  Gross.  I cant even imagine getting a tick on my eyeball.

shudder

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fuck.

WERE DOOMED...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I was on a mountain bike ride a few weeks ago when the trail started climbing up. The brush was close and we had to stuggle through it.

We had gone about 100 yards or so when we stop to get over a large rut.

When the lead guy looked down he saw that his legs were covered in ticks.

We or course freaked out and looked at our own legs but we were clean.

The guy riding point always gets hit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ticks can live for 5 years without eating....... just waiting for the next victim to walk by....... seriously. i bet they were on the hide the whole time, and were killed by the chemicals.

which means you've had ticks wherever you stored the hide... might wanna see about treating the area you stored them in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'd venture to guess the hide was infested already when the deer was still alive. 'Ware the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Yep, and Lyme Disease
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, and Lyme Disease

I caught that Rocky Mountain shit when I was nine from a tick on one of my grandparents many dogs in central Texas.

That was without question the sickest I have ever been in my life. All other flus or colds pale in comparison.

I puked for about 18 hours straight. I puked till my toes were shriveling from the fluid loss.

I hate ticks.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
they are called seed ticks.....and yep they the debill.......

My daughter had a seed tick on her arm today.  Found a huge tick on the dog a month ago.  They are out early this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top