Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 6:07:36 PM EDT
So yeah, my daughter sent her 4GB iPod Nano through the wash.  Whole cycle.  She just told me of this a few minutes ago.  Happened a month or so ago, she informs me.  Well, unknown to me, she combined the mighty wet electronics holy trinity of healing: blow dryer, then to a bag of rice, then the bag of rice containing the iPod on top of the refrigerator.  IT WORKED.  That fuggin' iPod just successfully restored, accepted music, and PLAYED!  It's unexplainable, other than divine intervention.  I am amaze.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nearly all consumer electronics can survive submersion in water by going through the methods you described, provided they battery powered.

The real trick (and it is so very rare to witness) is to fight the urge to immediately power it back up to see if it's fucked up. Powering them back up when they are still wet is, often, the death knell.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
rice containing the iPod on top of the refrigerator

Why put it on top of the fridge?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Its a well known healing location for electronics, like putting razor blades in pyramids to keep them sharp.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm guessing because of the heat given off by it. Basically same idea as drying wet shoes off by placing then by the vent at bottom of fridge. No mAtter how wet, they'll be dry by morning.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Fail.

Apple is Teh Debil; it was Satan who did it.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a well known healing location for electronics, like putting razor blades in pyramids to keep them sharp.

I sleep up there and I'll be 163 next Tuesday. Feel great.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
As someone who poured innumerable beers into his MIDI (Musical Instrument, Digital OCTOPUS) gear
back in the 80's, I never cease to be amazed by the restorative powers of quickly pulling the plug out of the
socket and hitting your shit with a blow dryer......

I still have a D-20 (That plays great!) that by all rights should've either died or killed me sometime in 1989.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
THE LORD WORKS IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I love a happy ending!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes yes.  Putting failing electronics on top of the frige is a well known, yet mysterious process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top