Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 4:18:28 PM EDT
I was talking to a guy today about various pistol carbines. I said one in .40cal or .45acp would be awesome. He tells me that .40 and .45 are piss poor carbine calibers. He states they actually lose velocity in the longer barrel and that 9mm is better because it gains speed heading out the barrel, which is why 9mm is the preferred .mil caliber for their sub guns. Furthermore, a .45 round coming out of a tommy gun is actually slower than a 1911?

How much of this is true and if its false give me some links to lay the hurt...
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
18 hits and no response?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was talking to a guy today about various pistol carbines. I said one in .40cal or .45acp would be awesome. He tells me that .40 and .45 are piss poor carbine calibers. He states they actually lose velocity in the longer barrel and that 9mm is better because it gains speed heading out the barrel, which is why 9mm is the preferred .mil caliber for their sub guns. Furthermore, a .45 round coming out of a tommy gun is actually slower than a 1911?

How much of this is true and if its false give me some links to lay the hurt...

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
My personal experience indicates the exact opposite.  A .45 ACP will produce more velocity from a 16" carbine  barrel than from a 5" handgun barrel.

I do believe this rumor has some slight basis in fact however.  People who report low velocities are usually using Marlin Camp Carbines.  My Cav/Oly .45 has always produced higher velocity than any of my Gov't models.

So people who claim this might occasionally be correct, but they are not correct most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
another thing to consider, if you reload, you could use a slower powder to
utilize the longer barrel length for more velocity.  I have lost the link
but I found a recipe for 9mm for the "uhg" high point carbine that we have, it looked
promising.

speed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top