Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 4:13:56 PM EDT
Does anyone know what happened to the new compact diesel pick-up truck manufactured in India?  I thought it was to be introduced into the USA by now
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Mahindra.

It's not coming any time soon.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Mahindra.  I keep waiting too.

I'm betting .gov is the problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
vaporware
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
They had some legal issues with the US distributer last I heard.  Also, there were some rumors about getting poor MPG's which, if true, is a nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Mahindra.

I'm guessing *safety* issues with the NHTSA have delayed their release. Indians don't have any experience selling safe vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mahindra.

Trust me.

If I had to guess that a Democrat administration with part ownership in two AFLCIO beholden companies is not going to smile on a cheap truck import.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

vaporware

With unrealistic promises to begin with.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It was not a new truck; I understood that they already make it. I guess it ran afoul with the administration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mahindra.

Trust me.

If I had to guess that a Democrat administration with part ownership in two AFLCIO beholden companies is not going to smile on a cheap truck import.

It was behind schedule on emissions, and the Indians are too cheap to crash a handful of them for DOT regs.

They put Global Vehicles and all their dealers in a bind and GV loved them gently in the court room. The Indians learned the hard way that American companies (GV and the dealers they had signed up) don't like getting fucked to the tune of millions. Now, M&M is second guessing EVER bringing vehicles here. The truck was just a ploy to get the Mahindra name out there and sell more tractors. M&M doesn't give a shit about putting trucks on our roads.

Source: I'm a former employee of Mahindra USA. I don't say any of this to beat on Mahindra, I say it because it's the truth. I'd go back to MUSA tomorrow if they could match my current salary.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Aside from the problems listed above, the real problem is trade protectionist bullshit on the part of the federal government.  There's a $5K per vehicle tariff on imported diesel vehicles (maybe it's just trucks?) that makes the HiLux and similar trucks practically unsellable in the US.

This is 100% about protecting American manufacturers who continue to produce and sell products that cannot compete in a global market.  They might make a half-decent full-sized pickup, but their compact pickups positively suck and they apparently cannot make a 4-cylinder diesel engine for any reason.

The only reason the Mahindra might have worked is that it was so cheap that even after the $5K tariff it was still priced low enough to attract a few buyers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
banned from import for being too ugly.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top