Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 4:08:15 PM EDT
ok. i have a big assed diesel suburban. i ripped out the interior carpet, it was ruined. im planning to use spray/paint in bed liner to cover the floor. i have a console, but i want to add another foreward of it, at about a 45 degree angle, to mount winch and light and accessory switches, i was also going to mount a tom tom, but i saw the video where a ipad was mounted, and used for the stereo/ music/ gps.

who would be talented at building a console? i was thinking the guys who build speaker boxes might be able to do a good job, as they are always building things like that. what do you think, think it would work?

here some ms paint for you guys...... the red box would be the new console, and also cover the floor conduit, that takes the floor air, to the back seats. i was going to just pull it out, but if this covers it , i can keep it.              i updated the paint a little. there would be quite a few angles, this is why im scared of attempting it, im not so good cutting angles, especially on the edges. ill definately farm it out..... i can do all the wireing myself..

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
build it yourself with 1/2 inch MDF and then cover it with the spray in bedliner?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do it yourself with fiberglass. If you want to take it somewhere, then a car audio shop is your best bet.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
build it yourself with 1/2 inch MDF and then cover it with the spray in bedliner?

i thought about it. if i did it, id cover it with grey carpet on the sides to help match the interior, and maybe a aluminum panel for the top... i doubt i could do it. i can fix things, but this is something id need to look decent...lol   i might tackle it though, just build a lot of cardboard models for the angles and such....possibly add a storage box to the flat part, in front of the console.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a one afternoon project.  Start with a template made from cardboard to get your angles correct.  Cut both sides from the template.  Cut the center piece.  Glue and brad nail them together.  If you want it to look nice, foam and matching vinyl upholstery.  Don't care - round over the edges and bedliner it.

Run your wiring first and leave enough to reach the proposed switches in the console.  It's easier to run wiring with as much of the interior removed as possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
ill probably give it a try...... it will be a few months from now. iv got small mechanical stuff under the dash to fix first. the heat and air is not wanting to switch from defrost to vent and floor etc. i need to fix that first, then put in the bed liner. after i get the seats and factory console reinstalled ill try it, or farm it out. i think it will look and work pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You need this guy.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Plastix Plus Texas

http://www.pptexas.com/

Same guys that make the great AR-15 stands and wall mounts.

As far as the Suburban, they have been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

http://pptexas.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=pptexas&Category_Code=Chevy-Tahoe-Suburban

Want something for the back end?  They got that, too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
hey thanks ! ! ! ! that damn console is PERFECT ! ! ! !   it says 2005 and up. i wonder if it will fit a 1996? ill have to call and find out. id definately buy the  standard series, so i can mount my stuff on the flat area. ill have to sent them a e mail.

i just sent a e mail, asking if it would fit, or if it could be made to fit. i at least copied the pictures to help give me a idea of how to build my own.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
that damn console is PERFECT ! ! ! !   it says 2005 and up. i wonder if it will fit a 1996? ill have to call and find out. id definately buy the  standard series, so i can mount my stuff on the flat area. ill have to sent them a e mail.

I doubt it will fit a 96.  The interior dimensions have been changed since then.

I do LE/Mil conversions of vehicles and custom fabrication for specific applications.  I will say that if you can find a pre-made unit it would be cheaper than having someone do it.  But it is a very easy project.  Could be done out of wood, steel frame with aluminum fascia, etc.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top