Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2011 12:34:05 PM EDT
Im thinking the inspector would be cool with this. What say you?

garage door wiring
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]

What's wrong with it, I don't see it?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen worse.  

While working in North St Louis I saw wonderful things done with jumper cables, duct tape and extension cords.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen much worse.  In some of the really poor parts of Tijuana, people use bent table forks taped to extension cords to tap into overhead power lines.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably been working fine for years
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#6]

See the Smoke Detector?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh, he used plenty of tape.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've seen much worse.  In some of the really poor parts of Tijuana, people use bent table forks taped to extension cords to tap into overhead power lines.

Thats cheating.. you cant say Mexico and compare it to wiring in the US..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is why stuff burns down
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
That's actually worse than I expected.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I walked into one of our offices that was being renovated.  Someone had taken the outlet box out of the wall and had the power wire pulled out several inches.  He then took the bare ends of the hot and neutral wires and stuck them through the holes in the end of a power strip's power plug and twist-tied them on.  He was then running tools off the power strip.  Not even any tape or anything.  Just live, bare wires sitting there only a half inch from bare neutral.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]

LoL @ surge protector.....it's a power strip fuzz nuts.  

That's some Class A wiring right there. I have seen a lot worse than that.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#13]
He has a roof made of of particle board also. Double fail in one structure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Seems pretty legit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The Fire Marshals AAR when that place burns down is going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#16]
he sounds gay
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and would continue to work for another 100.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, seen that kinda shit before. Funny part is the owners are usually a professional something.
It pisses them off when you tell them how fkn stupid they are in a nice way.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I've seen worse...

...in Afghanistan.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've seen worse...

...in Afghanistan.

I've even seen worse in a bar in Houston.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Eh, that wasn't so bad (I mean not as bad as I expected). Is it code? Hell, it's probably not covered by code. It's a long-ass, ghetto, homemade extension cord. If it was wired into the panel, he'd have code issues.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
He said it's in Everett.  Assuming Everett, WA, it's too wet there to have a high fire danger.  It's good to go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that looks like OSB to me which is normal for a roof.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I took these in the Philippines. I'd hate to be the guy that had to figure this out.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I took these in the Philippines. I'd hate to be the guy that had to figure this out.

http:////www.hillierr.com/arfcom/wires01.jpg

http:////www.hillierr.com/arfcom/wires02.jpg

those red X's look dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

i'm guessing you haven't been around much wood?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?  They show up just fine here.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#30]
The tard that owned my house before me
must have fancied himself as an "elect-tric-ian"
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]
My head hurts.

I have made a lot of money helping fix shit like that.  We call it "Bubba work."
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I've also seen worse.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
At least there's a box. I've seen a lot worse.

I worked on a house a number of years back where the 220 line was spliced together with electrical tape and hanging down right in front of a doorway. You literally had to duck under a hot 220 line to get into the laundry room.

Fucking dumbass harry homeowner.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to do IT consulting. A guy wanted to extend ethernet from the main building to an outbuilding on the property about 150 feet away. He ran cat5 looped over the power line going into the building.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Eh, that wasn't so bad (I mean not as bad as I expected). Is it code? Hell, it's probably not covered by code. It's a long-ass, ghetto, homemade extension cord. If it was wired into the panel, he'd have code issues.  

It's covered by code for about a dozen reasons actually.

Had they not used a mile of electrical tape, poorly gauged wire for the initial run, a light switch that may or may not be rated for the motor load, poorly placed splices with no mechanical support / protection and oh I could go on but I won't, it actually could be somewhat "safe" as a temporary solution while still being a massive fucking code violation.

The first time they are doing yard work and bump into that NM cable with something sharp/heavy, or have a party and some drunk guy bangs into the fence, or a lawnmower hucks a rock in a bad direction, or moisture consumes their fantastic splice job, or some idiot kid tries to hang cats tied to each others tails to watch them fight on it (these people have the type of kids who will do it, I guaran-fucking-tee you, its goddamn genetic with these types) or one of literally thousands of things I could list goes wrong, they will have a problem ranging from either a minor nuisance, to loss of life and property.  But I'm sure until that day comes everything will be perfectly fine.  

This is coming from a guy who has regularly violated housing codes across the board.  But I don't go full retard.  

Never go full retard.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#36]
tag

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
What? I've done worse.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's called OSB (Oriented Strand Board) and roof sheathing is one of the things its made for.  To keep uniformity of quality with teh wiring he should have used MDF.   Turn in your contractor's license.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Reminds of when I was running coax in my attic for a TV in my bedroom.  Reached down into the insulation and got the ZAPPPP!.  WTF, says I?   I started clearing out insulation and what I found scared the shit out of me. Oh, hell.  I'll just repost from the archives.

My wife, for Christmas, bought me a 32" LCD for our bedroom. This morning, I decided to get it hung up on the wall. There was no cable outlet in our room, so up to the attic I went. Now, our bedroom is at the extreme other end of the attic from where the entrance is. We've lived here for ~8 years, and I've never been down that far. It's very cramped, and the AC ductwork makes it very difficult to get there. But, today, I had to for the first time. Wow, do I wish I'd done it earlier.

I got down to that end of the house, which has our bedroom/restroom and one kids room. I started digging in the insulation to find the wall where I needed to drill through the top plate. Imagine my surprise when ZZZAAAP! Took a nice 120v shock to the hand. WTF? Much more carefully now, I began removing insulation. And what to my wondering eye should appear? Fucking electrical nightmare. Apparently, when our house was built (late 60's), they didn't install light fixtures in the rooms. At some point since, someone added them. Now, if you're an electrician, you might know that in the time period my home was built, they used aluminum wiring. Well, this wiring up there was aluminum. The rest of the house was remodeled at some point and all the wiring was rerun with copper. Except for the back bedrooms. AL and CU can't just be wire-nutted together. You have to use special fittings to prevent fires.

You might be asking what this has to do with me getting shocked? Well, Mr. Dumbfuck Electrical Engineer, rather than doing things even half properly, totally screwed the pooch. When they added the light fixtures, rather than splicing wire, he just took the switched run (that controlled an outlet) and stripped the wire off of a section. Not cut it, just stripped the insulation off. Now, he took the copper wire and just twisted the hot and neutral around the hot and neutral of the aluminum wire and buried it in the insulation. No tape, nothing. Just bare wires. (MS Paint below, hopefully helps you visualize it) Not only did he do this shit over our room, but over my daughter's room and the bathroom.

So, long story shorter, I ended up rewiring all the outlets, switches, and fixtures at that end of the house. Ran all new copper wire. Luckily (  ) all the runs went UP the wall into the attic, rather than through studs. I was able to use the old wire to pull new wire up. Ran new wire to 11 outlets, 3 light fixtures, and 4 switches; all wired properly to new junction boxes. I'm sore as a mo-fo. I couldn't do that for a living. My attic is 4' tall, with rafters everywhere. No good place to stand or sit. My arms are still itching, even after 3 showers, from all the damn fiberglass.
On the bright side, my TV kicks ass! It's the first HDTV we've owned, and wow! Plus, I don't have to worry about my house burning down!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]
That was a letdown.  I was expecting to see some sort of death adder or goblin jump out at the camera at the end.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Prime example of why you get a home inspection when you buy a house unless you really know your stuff.

After I bought my house I noticed there was a 30 amp 110v breaker on the run out to the garage.  So naturally I replaced it with a 20 amp thinking 30 wasn't safe for the wiring, and promptly started blowing the breaker every time I ran a saw with the lights on.  Then looked a little closer and noticed the power feed to the garage was 12ga _interior rated_ Romex hanging in the air between the buildings which had degraded to the point the cladding was crumbling off.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Had they not used a mile of electrical tape, poorly gauged wire for the initial run, a light switch that may or may not be rated for the motor load, poorly placed splices with no mechanical support / protection and oh I could go on but I won't, it actually could be somewhat "safe" as a temporary solution while still being a massive fucking code violation.

The first time they are doing yard work and bump into that NM cable with something sharp/heavy, or have a party and some drunk guy bangs into the fence, or a lawnmower hucks a rock in a bad direction, or moisture consumes their fantastic splice job, or some idiot kid tries to hang cats tied to each others tails to watch them fight on it (these people have the type of kids who will do it, I guaran-fucking-tee you, its goddamn genetic with these types) or one of literally thousands of things I could list goes wrong, they will have a problem ranging from either a minor nuisance, to loss of life and property.  But I'm sure until that day comes everything will be perfectly fine.  

This is coming from a guy who has regularly violated housing codes across the board.  But I don't go full retard.  

Never go full retard.

Not saying it's not awful, and not saying bad shit isn't bound to happen to it, I'm just saying that it's technically an extension cord that the dude has left out. Hell, I've run over extension cords with lawn mowers and cut them with snowplows. People do stupid shit with extension cords. Does code cover super-duper crappy extension cords? Could EXPCustom call code enforcement on me if I have an extension cord running across my lawn to power Christmas lights? I honestly don't know.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never go full retard.

Not saying it's not awful, and not saying bad shit isn't bound to happen to it, I'm just saying that it's technically an extension cord that the dude has left out. Hell, I've run over extension cords with lawn mowers and cut them with snowplows. People do stupid shit with extension cords. Does code cover super-duper crappy extension cords? Could EXPCustom call code enforcement on me if I have an extension cord running across my lawn to power Christmas lights? I honestly don't know.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.
Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

The NEC considers extensions cords to be temporary wiring only.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never go full retard.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted.

Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

negative.. still red X's.
if you look at the URL you listed it has 4 forward slashes instead of two... it should look like

http://www.hillierr.com/arfcom/wires02.jpg
Not
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never go full retard.

Code actually does cover crappy extension cords, even more so when you staple one to a fence.  You also can't have extension cords that are hand spliced with electrical tape.  Also using an extension cord in a manner outside of it's intended purpose probably opens up the door for UL / "Manufactures instructions" clauses which open the door for more code violations.

Garage door openers are fixtures, therefore they are covered under a number of sections in the NEC.  Since the outdoor outlets are accessible, it must also be a GFCI circuit.  If you are adhering to post 2008 NEC, ALL garage outlets must be GFCI, accessible or not.  

An actual electrician could literally go on for paragraphs listing the things that are 1.  Code violations.  2.  Sanity violations.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you look at the URL you listed it has 4 forward slashes instead of two... it should look like

Not

I see the pictures fine here, also. I saw the extra slashes in your quote, but assumed he fixed them and that's why I could see them.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not

I see the pictures fine here, also. I saw the extra slashes in your quote, but assumed he fixed them and that's why I could see them.

weird.. Even when i copy and paste that into a browser i get improperly formed URL messages.. That should not work (with four slashes).. Either way i saw the pics and that looks scary..
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

weird.. Even when i copy and paste that into a browser i get improperly formed URL messages.. That should not work (with four slashes).. Either way i saw the pics and that looks scary..

What browser?

I think my version of Firefox (or one of my countless plugins) recognizes the malformed URL and magically fixes it behind the scenes.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What browser?

I think my version of Firefox (or one of my countless plugins) recognizes the malformed URL and magically fixes it behind the scenes.

Could be, Firefox here. I have the linkification plug-in, not sure if that does anything.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top