Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2011 11:16:01 AM EDT
So, I just finished a huge portion of chicken fried steak, bbq baked beans, mashed potatoes, and a corn muffin.  I feel as though I have just had the best meal that I've ever had.  I mean this thing was good.  Any thoughts on the matter?  The actual plate looked a lot like this....

File footage/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Linda Richman voice:  I'm a little fa-klempt, talk amongst ya'selves.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.

We have a deli at work and they actually make a good one that I'll eat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Needs more gravy.  I love chicken fried steak.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my favorites, or was until the heart attack.  A surprisingly difficult item to make properly.  Most restaurants fail at it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
From where did you acquire this alleged meal?  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that sounds good
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of my favorites, or was until the heart attack.  A surprisingly difficult item to make properly.  Most restaurants fail at it.

Pure Win!  Most restaurants do a bad job, though... but the Chicken Fried Sirloin at Texas Roadhouse is one of my Favorites... I think I'm gonna have to go by after work and get one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
So, so IN.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I miss Texas.  Them sum bitches make some great CFS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
so tasty

it has to be cooked JUST right or its a chewy mess.  if it is, it makes panda sad
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This I have quite a few really bad versions and only two good ones.  One was a no name airport diner in I think Alabama and the other was my sister's.  She is one of those foodies who is super anal about getting it perfect.  Man it is good everytime I visit I force that on to the menu.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I love chicken fried steak.  Luckily there is a place near that makes a fantastic CFS.  I usually feel like taking a three hour nap after eating there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Smokin' Pig in Harrisonburg......You can cut this one with a fork folks....its the real shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Southern Style!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Smokin' Pig in Harrisonburg......You can cut this one with a fork folks....its the real shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So noted... Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So noted... Thank you!

Any time my good man, always willing to share a good meal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
You know what's awesome about chicken fried steak?  Chicken fried steak sammich the next day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
CFS is good and good for you.

The Pioneer Woman's recipe. Easy and tastes great.

Recipe: Chicken Fried Steak

Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 25 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 8

Ingredients

• 3 pounds Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)

• 1-½ cup Whole Milk, Plus Up To 2 Cups For Gravy

• 2 whole Large Eggs

• 3 cups All-purpose Flour

• Seasoned Salt

• ¼ teaspoons Cayenne

• LOTS Of Black Pepper. Lots.

• Canola Oil, For Frying

• Salt And Pepper, For Both Meat And Gravy

Preparation Instructions

Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat: milk mixed with egg in one; flour mixed with spices in one; meat in one; then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.

Work one piece of meat at a time. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then dip in the milk/egg mixture. Next, place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour. Turn to coat thoroughly. Place the meat back into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Place back in the flour and turn to coat.

(So: wet mixture/dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture.) Place breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with remaining meat.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it’s sufficiently hot. Cook meat, three pieces at a time, until edges start to look golden brown; around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes each side.

Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.

GRAVY:

After all meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the pan, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup grease back to the pan. Allow grease to heat up.

Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix flour with grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown color. If paste seems more oily than pasty, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.

Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Serve meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/02/chicken-fried-steak/
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Needs more gravy.  I love chicken fried steak.

and lots of Tabasco sauce

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Now for the big Question. Sweet or Unsweet tea, with it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#22]
In or out?
I would say out since so many CFS are crap.

I still order them hoping for heaven.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So, I just finished a huge portion of chicken fried steak, bbq baked beans, mashed potatoes, and a corn muffin.  I feel as though I have just had the best meal that I've ever had.  I mean this thing was good.  Any thoughts on the matter?  The actual plate looked a lot like this....

File footage/

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/9273/chickenfriedsteak.jpg

Linda Richman voice:  I'm a little fa-klempt, talk amongst ya'selves.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]
As I endeavor to improve my Cowboy Cookerying, I find fault with your ghetto plate, and poor presentation. Where are your waves of color?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
CFS is good and good for you.

The Pioneer Woman's recipe. Easy and tastes great.

Recipe: Chicken Fried Steak

Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 25 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 8

• 3 pounds Cube Steak (tenderized Round Steak That's Been Extra Tenderized)
  • 1-½ cup Whole Milk, Plus Up To 2 Cups For Gravy
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • 3 cups All-purpose Flour
  • Seasoned Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Cayenne
  • LOTS Of Black Pepper. Lots.
  • Canola Oil, For Frying
  • Salt And Pepper, For Both Meat And Gravy

Preparation Instructions

Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat: milk mixed with egg in one; flour mixed with spices in one; meat in one; then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.

Work one piece of meat at a time. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then dip in the milk/egg mixture. Next, place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour. Turn to coat thoroughly. Place the meat back into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Place back in the flour and turn to coat.
(So: wet mixture/dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture.) Place breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with remaining meat.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it’s sufficiently hot. Cook meat, three pieces at a time, until edges start to look golden brown; around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes each side.

Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.

GRAVY:

After all meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the pan, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup grease back to the pan. Allow grease to heat up.

Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix flour with grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown color. If paste seems more oily than pasty, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.

Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Serve meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/02/chicken-fried-steak/

That's where my sister got her receipe, that site is the shitr
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You know what's awesome about chicken fried steak?  Chicken fried steak sammich the next day.

I've, uh, never had leftovers.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sir, surely you're joking.  Nectar of the gods

Sweet Tea, and I don't mean that shit they pass off as Sweet Tea at McDicks either.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I love CFS, but it has to have breakfast sausage in the gravy, or it's not real country gravy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Chicken fried steak, while good, is of no comparison to a well cooked great cut of actual steak.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This, minus the heart attack part.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Who doesn't like chicken fried steak??  No friend of mine.

I'll tag this thread so I can see if there are any communists that need to be put on my ignore list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Beer.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#33]
We use our own grass-fed black angus beef which is much more tender than store bought. My wife cooks the steak with raw onion slices pressed into the meat...yummy!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I was actually pretty hung over when I was eating it....so the whole beer thing could've gone 1 of 2 ways...at that point, I'm pretty sure the tea was a better option
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Hizzle Yizzle!

I had chicken-fried steak for lunch today at a local diner.
Had mashed potatoes, corn, and cornbread for sides.

Chicken-fried steak and white gravy is one of life's great pleasures.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]
There is nothing better than a good chicken fried steak.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Chicken fried steak, white gravy, mashed taters, a vegetable and biscuits with iced tea.  That's my last meal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Charlstons actually has a good chicken fried steak.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Authentic chicken fried steak comes with brown gravy
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Love me some CFS,  my mom makes the best,  I'll always take a trip over if she's making it.

Had some friends from the UK over here for the Reno Air Races and we ate at a little restaurant there on Stead Blvd right near the freeway.  He ordered CFS and when it came he said to the waitress " I think you gave me the wrong dish,  I ordered chicken "  LOLs all around on that one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, surely you're joking.  Nectar of the gods

<a href="http://img692.imageshack.us/i/sweettea.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2802/sweettea.jpg</a>

Sweet Tea, and I don't mean that shit they pass off as Sweet Tea at McDicks either.

way too much ice in that glass
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#43]
If I ever make it back out to harrisonburg I'll have to give that a try.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Fuck that sounds good

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Not used to a Southeasterner referring to it as anything but Country Fried Steak. I only heard it called Chicken fried when I came to Texas.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I mentioned this to my wife - she was almost ready to drive there this afternoon.  
(Leave Alexandria at 5PM, arrive Harrisonburg 6:45ish, chow down, leave Harrisonburg 8PM, arrive home just before 10PM - I'm a little sad that we didn't do it. )
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not used to a Southeasterner referring to it as anything but Country Fried Steak. I only heard it called Chicken fried when I came to Texas.

Different critters, at least in SC/LA/TX/TN.

Chicken Fried Steak is cube steak, breaded, fried and served with gravy poured over it.
Country Fried Steak is cube steak, breaded, fried quickly, and finished by cooking it in the gravy.

Both are awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#50]
i thought country fried steak has brown gravy and chicken fried steak has white gravy? i didnt know it was finished by cooking in the gravy

Quoted:

Quoted:

Different critters, at least in SC/LA/TX/TN.

Chicken Fried Steak is cube steak, breaded, fried and served with gravy poured over it.

Country Fried Steak is cube steak, breaded, fried quickly, and finished by cooking it in the gravy.

Both are awesome.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top