Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 9:40:46 AM EDT
Recently picked up stanley razor blade folder for $5

After playing with it, I am thinking this would be an excellent every day carry knife

Don't have to sharpen, has a clip, lock and a thumb opener

Anyone carry something like this daily?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Tactical box cutter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#2]

I do!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I would just stick with a good foler like a Spyderco or benchmade an leave this thing for opening boxes.  Not that you couln't seriously f**k someone up with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I find them a little bulky but your could run away reall fast.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry the mini version as seen in this picture every single day.  It's been the most useful knife I've ever owned.  I usually keep the duller side out and only use the sharp side when I really need it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah.  It's the only knife I'll have on my job now.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer one of these tucked into my boot.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Aside from cost, I don't understand why anyone would carry a box cutter over a regular folding knife.

A folder can do everything the cutter will, and more. The reverse is not true.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry one at work (fab shop). If I am trimming urethane I may change the blade 6 or 7 times a day, otherwise I can last about a week on one blade.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aside from cost, I don't understand why anyone would carry a box cutter over a regular folding knife.

• Cost is significantly lower, upfront and throughout it's life

• $10 knife, plus a box of 10 replacement blades for $2 lasts months.  You'd have to buy hundreds of blades to match the price of a good sharpener.

• Provides a sharper blade

• Switch ends to immediately "sharpen" it in case you hit concrete or something else and damage the blade

• No more sharpening of blades

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

• Cost is significantly lower, upfront and throughout it's life

• $10 knife, plus a box of 10 replacement blades for $2 lasts months.  You'd have to buy hundreds of blades to match the price of a good sharpener.

• Provides a sharper blade

• Switch ends to immediately "sharpen" it in case you hit concrete or something else and damage the blade

• No more sharpening of blades

Understood. But using multiple bullet-points to say the same thing is cheating

Still wouldn't be my choice for a general utility knife unless my occupation favored the benefits of a boxcutter. Sharpening isn't that hard or time consuming. And I've never had need of anything 'sharper' than my pocketknives when they had a good edge.

But to each their own.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump for night debate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer an axe.  Leaves their head hangin' by a string.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The Gerber EAB is another good one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
A good folder does everything a box-cutter does, plus you can use it for tasks that may require more than an inch of cutting surface.  Blade breakage isn't really an issue with a good folder and sharpening is not hard or expensive if you have someone else do it.

beats

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top