Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 9:04:28 AM EDT
I used to be one of those only military, police and hunters need guns types.  Then I pulled my head out of my ass probably around the time I turned 21.  I am a strong shall not be infringed supporter ever since.  Some fine members of AR15.com took me under their wings and showed me the light.  

I feel that I was holding my parents beliefs instead of trying to establish my own.  I am more conservative than any one in my family and I can walk better too without that huge object in my rectum.  Can see better too.

Thanks Arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not "pro-gun".

I am, however, pro rights.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I felt the same way growing up, until I bought my home and started living on my own.  The natural instinct to protect what's mine overrode everything else.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats and welcome aboard.

I haven't decided if I am a libertarian because I like being able to own guns. Or I like owning guns because it shows we still have some freedom in america.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]
This certainly counters the argument that it is no use trying to change minds.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Happy to hear you were saved!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This certainly counters the argument that it is no use trying to change minds.

At a young age, and I'm talking under 30, it's certainly possible to change people's minds, and often it's not too hard.  Over 30 I've found it gets harder and harder as folks get older.  They not only become more set in their ways, but become less swayed by outside influence.

How did the old saying go, "If you're under 30 and not a liberal you have no compassion, if you're over 30 and not a conservative you have no brain".  Or something to that effect.

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but I've found it to be a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
It takes a true man to see with his own eyes instead of what someone else wants him to see.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Up until I joined the USAF, I considered myself a Democrat because my parents were very left-leaning, and raised me that way. They hated guns, but I was always fascinated by them. I did however believe that people should have to register, have a need, be controlled, etc. I had no concept of liberty or Constitutional rights because my parents didn't introduce them to me, and neither did any of my schooling.

It was only when I joined the military and got out on my own, owned guns and got involved in them did I realize there was more to the issue than the narrow fear-based beliefs my parents taught me.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I was like sorta like that at one time (mid 90s) due to my public schooling....

I always thought guns were cool.  I wanted an AK, but I bought into the hype that the streets were flowing with blood from Assault Rifles...  Luckily, my friend bought an AK as soon as he turned 18, and changed my mind real quick!  

I think the future looks brighter for guns since the youth nowadays seem more interested in guns than the kids my age were.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
It takes a big man to admit something like that.

Glad to see you are not an idiot anymore!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
The first step to recovery is admitting you had a problem great only 11 more steps to go.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]
what step was buying my first suppressor?  i still have to reach the full auto step.

Quoted:

The first step to recovery is admitting you had a problem great only 11 more steps to go.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

St. John Moses (Browning) saves another one!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
i have worshipped many times at his alter.

Quoted:

Quoted:

St. John Moses (Browning) saves another one!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Bah! You think that was bad? When I was a kid(10 in 1980), I thought of my self as a democrat, anti-military, anti-republican, antigun and thought Carter was doing a great job as president!   Now I'm the complete opposite. Talk about a shift in thinking.

There is always a chance to turn a kid around. Reality usually does the trick.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to have you on the right side.

Have you tried converting the family?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#19]
My girl was rabidly anti-gun when we met. I mean, despised them. Got her to go shoot pistols with me, and she changed her mind to "Pistols are good. Rifles, though, are bad." Got her to shoot a rifle. Now she owns an AR-15, and carries a .38.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Glad to have you on the right side.

Have you tried converting the family?

tried.  hasn't gone well.  i have the "that guy" reputation.  i'm mainly just trying to teach my cousins and siblings to think on their own instead of letting their fear mongering parent's teach them values.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My girl was rabidly anti-gun when we met. I mean, despised them. Got her to go shoot pistols with me, and she changed her mind to "Pistols are good. Rifles, though, are bad." Got her to shoot a rifle. Now she owns an AR-15, and carries a .38.
my wife came with her own gun

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#22]
good on you for comming around
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#23]
My trusty Marlin Bolt-Action .22 and myself have helped many understand that a firearms have no capacity for good & evil or right & wrong. It comes down to the heart and mind of the person behind the trigger. For some it was almost like being re-born and caused them to re-think other "absolutes" in their belief system.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I was never raised around guns. I had a very strong interest in them starting around age 8. My grandfather took me shooting a few times with his old H&R .32, and my dad once or twice with his .22 revolver. Those were the only guns in the family. My grandfather was the only one who spoke of any politics, and him being a staunch republican it must have worn off on me as I have always been on the right wing.

I would go to the grocery store and get guns & ammo, and other related mags when I was between 8 and 15. Couldn't wait till the day I was 21 to get my first pistol.

Didn't start liking long guns till I found ARF.com in 2001.

Now I am able to arm my entire apartment building should the need arise.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Congrats and welcome aboard.

I haven't decided if I am a libertarian because I like being able to own guns. Or I like owning guns because it shows we still have some freedom in america.

Libertarians = no gun control

What am I missing?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#26]
When I was a little kid my parents would leave me with my grandpa, he'd take me out to shoot the squirrels that tore up his garden and yard then when we killed a sufficient amount for the day we'd go back inside and he's read gun books and magazines to me. I've been hooked as long as I can remember

When I was around 4 I already had an AK fund going. I'd get a dollar per squirrel but then I ended up getting inpatient after a couple weeks and blew my blood money on a pellet gun

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Pobody's nerfect.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I never handled firearms until I joined the military.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#29]
first one i ever handled was an FN M16 at Camp Blanding.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Do not know what switched flipped but am very pro EBR and MBR in the last few years.
Maybe it was the relaxing of the AWB and mag thing that got me.
Maybe it was the antis trying again to grab em.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Good job. Glad you took the red pill.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
my wife came with her own gun

Dude, thats kinda hot
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to be one of those only military, police and hunters need guns types.  Then I pulled my head out of my ass probably around the time I turned 21.  I am a strong shall not be infringed supporter ever since.  Some fine members of AR15.com took me under their wings and showed me the light.  

I feel that I was holding my parents beliefs instead of trying to establish my own.  I am more conservative than any one in my family and I can walk better too without that huge object in my rectum.  Can see better too.

Thanks Arfcom.

You turned Pro-Gun when you pulled what huge object out your ass
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I was a liberal once.

Then I went to college and started leaning conservative.

Then I got a real job and became a right wing whacko.

Even as a liberal kid, though, I never had any problem with people owning guns, never thought about it much, really.  Which I think describes a lot of young liberals, they just don't have a clue what they're talking about.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

first one i ever handled was an FN M16 at Camp Blanding.

Quoted:

Funny. I grew up about a mile from the front gate of Blanding.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#37]
meh. I don't trust converts. Can we use them as the first wave assault force against the marxists, when the time comes?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

meh. I don't trust converts. Can we use them as the first wave assault force against the marxists, when the time comes?

so the rest of us will have to wait for lazy californians to join the fight?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Huh.

I was raised right, by my LEO and competition-shooting Dad.
I have literally been around firearms my whole life.

Now, it did take me until I went into the military to overcome my Dad's
bias against semi-auto handguns; he came from the wheelgun era, and
had seen many jam-o-matic "tinkered" 1911's, from before folks got THAT
problem fixed.

Put an old S&W Model 10 or competition K-38 in my hands, and I can shoot
the wings off flies with it. Last year, my Dad gave me his stash of full-wadcutter
target .38's, probably 1K of the stuff. Shooting it out of my Model 28 is like shooting
.22's

I brought my two boys up the same way, but they don't QUITE got my fervor for target/
competition shooting that I have. Son #2 DOES out-shoot everyone in his unit with the M9,
though; that's my boy.

My wife, being a good Southron women, grew up shooting, too, but she only likes wheelguns;
MAGNUM wheelguns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Another Patriot is born!

Better late then never, I say.

Congrats, Rocksarge!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Now we're going to work on that whole picking your nose in public thing, mmmmmkay?  

I am glad you got straightened out.  Speaking from experience, being an idiot gets tiring after while.  

i'm gonna keep pickin till they ban it and even then some.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I used to be OK with the AWB.... derp
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I was raised by parents who were both European and very anti-gun. I was too, until my late twenties when the lies and distortions of the anti-gun position became crystal clear to me. Hey, come to think of it, I moved to Texas in my late twenties!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top