Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2002 1:29:25 PM EDT
Ever been asked that dumb question by a friend,family member, co-worker or someone on the internet? Ever tried to explain the need to defend yourself and your family only to either have your views attacked further have the asker think you are crazy and primitive? This has happend to me alot. And now I belive Ive came up with the perfect answer. Answer thier question with more question.

Why do you really NEED a car? you can always walk,ride a bike or a horse. all of which provide more exercise and require no fuel,electricity or oil.
--------
Why do you NEED a house with running water,plumbing and electricity? What do you think people did before they had all of those things? you can always live in a cabin in the woods.
--------------

Why do you NEED lots of clothes? As long as you have a pair for each day of the week and a way to wash them, you are fine.
-----------------

Why do you NEED nice clothes? any style or type will do as long as they fit and are comfortable.
------------

Why do you NEED lots of money all at once? If you have a paying job then you can always get more later.
------------

Why do you NEED investment/retirement funds? A storebought safe and some stuff from radioshack will do for savings and security.
------------

Why do you NEED TV? Its not required for your physical health.
------------

the list can go on and on and on. and unless they are a hardcore liberal nutcase they will probably get the point.

(snip) See if you can add to the list(snip)
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the why do you need a car one. They always say "well cars are not designed to kill people".
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite "Why do you need a gun" question stopper is not to pose them another question but make a statement: Because the constitution's second amendment says I can, just as the first amendment protects both our rights to disagree with each other.

And to anyone who says "Guns Kill", sorry folks but a crucial operating part of a firearm is a human finger, which means "People Kill, not guns". And it's funny but people kill with guns, knives, bats, cars, picture frames, shoes, rope, and anything else they can get their hands on including their hands.

The true power of a firearm lies in your ability to control it's use, a gun that is conciously used NOT to kill is more powerful than one that is.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Because I Can
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I the past, when someone learned that I own guns, they would ask if I was going to come back and shoot them. That didn't bother me. Just recently someone asked me the same thing and it really pissed me off. I should have asked if he was going to run me over with his car! Asshole!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because I Can
View Quote

This is by far my favorite.  I was talking at work about getting my AR and a co-worker overheard me and asked "what do you need one of those for?".  HeHeh.  Scaring liberals is fun.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Because walking 1000 yards to poke a hole in a piece of paper with bullet takes too much time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
there are a few good ones posted already..

As long as the government and badguys (usually the same) [:)] Have them, so should I.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Your'e right that is a dumb question.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't. My AR is an expensive piece of machinery I bought because a bunch of power mongering liberals are trying to prevent me from having one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
when i get that question from women, i especially like to say, "cuz i'll be the last woman on earth a bad guy tries to rape!"  or "i refuse to be a victim."

that generally hits home really hard.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditto ARLady ... Are you sure your not my wife ??
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Because the constitution  of the United States of America says I can have 'em.. Besides, they're fun!!!

-T.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Because it takes a crimianl less than 3 seconds to break in the door and atack my family, yet it takes the cops 15-20 minutes to respond to 911.

Simple math.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Remind those folks of the '92 L.A. riots when you dial 911 and no one showed up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont need A gun, I actually need about 30 of them
View Quote
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've used the why do you need a car one. They always say "well cars are not designed to kill people".
View Quote

but you have to remind them that people can still use cars as a killing weapon to great effect. Especially if driven into a large crowd. Its sorta like the female reporter that chastised that army general or whatever that was helping teach rifle marksmanship to boyscouts. "Your equipping them to be murderers!" she says. He replies-"Your equipped to be a whore but your NOT one are you?"

just because guns are designed to kill doesn't mean they will. Ive had guns all of my life and never had to even so much as brandish then in my own defense. But I know that one day I may. and for that reason I keep them and practice with them and care for them.

Just the same Thier car may not be designed to kill BUT.....it can.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh and thanx everyone for your great replies. I was thinking of just naming the topic "why do you really NEED a gun" and leaving out the dumb question remark but knew id probably start a shitstorm.

I have just been asked that dumb question by too many holier than thou's/devout liberals/soccer moms and frowning suit&tie guys to remember. Thanx for the great input. keep it comin.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]

[b]youre right. dumb question.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#21]
[url=http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira58.html]We don’t need no steenking 2nd Amendment [/url]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Its sorta like the female reporter that chastised that army general or whatever that was helping teach rifle marksmanship to boyscouts. "Your equipping them to be murderers!" she says. He replies-"Your equipped to be a whore but your NOT one are you?"
View Quote

Man, that's a great one.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
To that "Guns are designed to kill" b.s. I respond: "There're designed to make a 100lb woman the equal of a 200lb man and they do that pretty well."
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I was'nt aware that posession of property in this country was based upon "need".
If I want a firearm, and posess the means,ownership should not be based on someone's intrepretation of weither I "need" one.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#25]
A gun like insurance (auto, home, life, etc) is something that we may need but wouldn't want to be without at the time it is needed.

It provides a [i]degree[/i] of security but is not fool proof or absolute, [b]nothing[/b] is.

It can do its job from a safer distance than other like tools such as knives and has a greater ability to stop an attack than pepper spray, etc.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Because I do NEED freedom, and that means I NEED whatever MAY be used to keep that freedom no matter what.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Frankly, I stopped arguing with people.  If someone has a problem with the 2nd Amendment, I tell them to contact their elected representative.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]
No need, I want guns, with shit loads of ammo.
God I love my second amendment right

this looks like a perfect tread for the ATF
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#30]
It's like this question - why do I have a fire extinguisher?  In case I need it.

Guns are criminal extinguishers...
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Guns are criminal extinguishers...
View Quote

I like that one...

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Why do I need a handgun? to fight my way back to my rifle!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top