Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 9:05:17 PM EDT
I am going for my first meeting with an Air Force Officer Recruiter on thursday.

Anything I should know or be prepared for before going in?

I already have a bachelor's degree and based on our phone conversation, I met the basic qualifiers.  I want to be a pilot, I know its a long shot but It is what I want to do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck and thank you for deciding to serve.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, its going to be hard, they are cutting a lot of Os right now
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Start browsing www.airforceOTS.com extensively. The next rated board (pilot, CSM, ABM, LAV) is in August. The last rated board, scheduled for January, was canceled due to "higher than expected retention rates". There has been a slew of canceled boards over the last year, both rated and unrated. Get your packet together, do your research, get ready to wait, and cross your fingers that a 6 month wait doesn't turn in to a 15 month wait. Ask me how I know.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions another rated applicant may be able to answer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good luck, its going to be hard, they are cutting a lot of Os right now

Thanks, I wish I would have decided to do it sooner.

I know its a long road ahead of me even before the application will be submitted.  A buddy of mine started his back in july and is just now submitted it a few weeks ago.  I think he had a few unexpected hiccups along the way, so hopefully mine won't take that long.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Start browsing www.airforceOTS.com extensively. The next rated board (pilot, CSM, ABM, LAV) is in August. The last rated board, scheduled for January, was canceled due to "higher than expected retention rates". There has been a slew of canceled boards over the last year, both rated and unrated. Get your packet together, do your research, get ready to wait, and cross your fingers that a 6 month wait doesn't turn in to a 15 month wait. Ask me how I know.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions another rated applicant may be able to answer.

Thanks, I had that site bookmarked from many months ago but had forgotten about it.  I will do some research on it tomorrow.  I have been afraid of high retention rates, but I guess I have to start sometime.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, just be ready to wait. Next rated board is in August, selections released in September (assuming this one isn't canceled also), then could be anywhere from 6 months to a year after being selected until you leave for OTS. Not sure what current wait times are looking like, but that's the way it has been over the last year.

Also, the rule of thumb is that the Air Force doesn't need you, but if you want to be part of the Air Force bad enough, you may apply. Don't be put off if that is the attitude that the recruiter projects on to you. It's a reality. Figure that they get a lot of tire kickers, few people that actually get a packet completed, and even fewer that get selected. Your O recruiter will assist you, but don't expect him to lead you by the hand at any point.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have any certificates and/or ratings already?  Aviation specific degree?  ???
If you're not already a pilot, I wouldn't hold your breath.  That long shot is more like a don't-count-on-it shot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I am taking the same route as you; I will be taking the AFOQT April 1st. I figured I better take the test first before I start on my packet, no point in wasting anyone's time if I cannot do well on it, I picked up the the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test book to help me out. Good luck to you man I hope you make it and maybe I will see you somewhere along the way.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yea, just be ready to wait. Next rated board is in August, selections released in September (assuming this one isn't canceled also), then could be anywhere from 6 months to a year after being selected until you leave for OTS. Not sure what current wait times are looking like, but that's the way it has been over the last year.

Also, the rule of thumb is that the Air Force doesn't need you, but if you want to be part of the Air Force bad enough, you may apply. Don't be put off if that is the attitude that the recruiter projects on to you. It's a reality. Figure that they
get a lot of tire kickers, few people that actually get a packet completed, and even fewer that get selected. Your O recruiter will assist you, but don't expect him to lead you by the hand at any point.

I'm in the same boat as the OP but I am going Naval aviator. Applied back in September and got turned down. Just submitted my package for the second time, it went up for the April review board. I just had an interview with a Navy Captain for my package and his explanation was that we are maintaining the force level we have, no longer in a build up. Because of that guys like us, ie non- Academy or ROTC guys need to have a kickass application to get a pilot slot right now. My father was a Naval aviator in thee 80's out of college and the hardest part was deciding when to leave for OCS. Its a different game now. For me it has always been my goal so im going to just keep applying til i get in.

There is little hand holding on completing an Officer application.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I am going for my first meeting with an Air Force Officer Recruiter on thursday.

I already have a bachelor's degree and based on our phone conversation, I met the basic qualifiers.  I want to be a pilot, I know its a long shot but It is what I want to do.

what are the basic qualifiers ?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you have some kind of specialized degree (engineering, etc.), it is not a good time to go blue.

B_S
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you have some kind of specialized degree (engineering, etc.), it is not a good time to go blue.

B_S

That's pretty much always the case.  You need either a technical degree (by the AF's definition) or to meet the requirements for a rated job or OTS is off the table most of the time.  ROTC is the way to go, just do it for two years and get a Master's degree, your odds of actually getting a commission are much better than through OTS.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not telling you to not go for it, but if you REALLY want to fly, the Army has the best program out there (well, for rotary wing, but I'm not getting into a RW/FW debate). Everyone is cutting back, but Army aviation is cutting back less than the others out there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not telling you to not go for it, but if you REALLY want to fly, the Army has the best program out there (well, for rotary wing, but I'm not getting into a RW/FW debate). Everyone is cutting back, but Army aviation is cutting back less than the others out there.

I'll be considering all branches.  AF is just on the top of the list.  I hadn't thought much of helos before, but I have been warming up to the idea.  A good friend of mine's dad is a Lt. Colonel in the Army, so he is trying to sell me on the idea too.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Do you have any certificates and/or ratings already?  Aviation specific degree?  ???

If you're not already a pilot, I wouldn't hold your breath.  That long shot is more like a don't-count-on-it shot.

I prefer to think of it as a long shot

But really, I know I won't be happy if I don't go for it so I have to try.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I am taking the same route as you; I will be taking the AFOQT April 1st. I figured I better take the test first before I start on my packet, no point in wasting anyone's time if I cannot do well on it, I picked up the the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Test book to help me out. Good luck to you man I hope you make it and maybe I will see you somewhere along the way.

Thanks good luck to you too.  I picked that book up too, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He asked me about my degree, GPA, health, drug use, credit, fitness and maybe a few others.  Nothing real in depth, but he didn't discourage me from continuing based on anything I said.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Also, the rule of thumb is that the Air Force doesn't need you, but if you want to be part of the Air Force bad enough, you may apply. Don't be put off if that is the attitude that the recruiter projects on to you. It's a reality. Figure that they get a lot of tire kickers, few people that actually get a packet completed, and even fewer that get selected. Your O recruiter will assist you, but don't expect him to lead you by the hand at any point.

Thanks,  Im not in any hurry.  I know I need to do this, otherwise I will regret it.  

My buddy that just got his packet submitted suggested I just be sure to be persistent because of that reason.  He said only people that are really persistent with the process will ever get anything finished.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be considering all branches.  AF is just on the top of the list.  I hadn't thought much of helos before, but I have been warming up to the idea.  A good friend of mine's dad is a Lt. Colonel in the Army, so he is trying to sell me on the idea too.

Just let me know if you have any questions. I finished flight school about a year ago so I can answer a lot of your questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top