Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 12:50:20 PM EDT
The local newspaper where I live makes great political hay by constantly pointing out that you only need a GED to apply for a police officer job. They never bother to look at the education of the applicants who actually get hired, because that doesnt help their agenda. So they focus on the published minimum requirement instead.

If must have killed them to publish this article

"LAKE FOREST – A deputy whose expertise resulted in the arrests of three people after she found nearly 50 heroine-filled balloons will be honored as the city's Deputy of the Year.
Deputy Christine Chang, who has been with the Orange County Sheriff's Department since 2000 and assigned to Lake Forest since 2008, will be recognized by the Lake Forest City Council on Tuesday night for her achievements, productivity and professionalism.

<snip>

Chang has a bachelor's degree in criminal law from UC Irvine and a master's in behavioral studies from Cal State Dominguez Hills...."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/chang-292229-lake-city.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm curious as to how that crow tastes?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a GED. It is a good alternative for people who cannot finish high school.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't most agencies require you to obtain some type of degree within a certain time period, if you don't already have one?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody should point out to the reporter and the editor that "Heroine" is not an illegal substance.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Around here we've got so many CJ grads coming out of WOU and competing for those
slots that come open here I very much doubt there's too many GED types with a badge.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Somebody should point out to the reporter and the editor that "Heroine" is not an illegal substance.

Perhaps the minimum requirement for editor is just a GED?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was a cop, all you needed was a GED.

And, I'm sure that a lot of the crazy, spastic, off-kilter motherfuckers that I worked with had a hard time getting over that bar.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Around here we've got so many CJ grads coming out of WOU and competing for those

slots that come open here I very much doubt there's too many GED types with a badge.
Wait until the economy picks up. College grads will laugh at a slot in the Big Blue Machine.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Detroit PD comes to mind.  Given the suckness that is working in detroit they dont get many college grads looking to risk thier lives for 12 an hour. I applied twice and was turned down, the first time was right before the law off in 2005 and again in 2009 the second time they basically told me it was because I am white.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Tulsa PD requires a four year degree.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a problem with people who 'only' have a GED, regardless of profession.
And I've known more college-educated idiots than I can count.

Education <> intelligence.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I know dozens of cops with GEDs and we still actively hire them IF they are someone we want. That said, promotions are somewhat limited to GED holders. I'm not sure why this is so controversial.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]
the majority of the guys getting hired have a degree and college.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I was a cop, all you needed was a GED.

And, I'm sure that a lot of the crazy, spastic, off-kilter motherfuckers that I worked with had a hard time getting over that bar.

When I got hired baclk in the dark ages the minimum requirment was a GED.

The unofficial requirement was a bachelors degree or 4-years of active duty military. My academy class started with 30 from each of those two groups. It finished with 29 former military and 7 college grads.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually, you can apply for any job with a GED.

Doesn't mean you'll get it, but you can apply for it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The only Police Officers I know that don't have four year college degrees have a significant amount of military service/experience.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Wait until the economy picks up. College grads will laugh at a slot in the Big Blue Machine.

Seriously runcible, it's been that way "forever" around here.  They (WOU/WOSC) use our Armory to train in.  We see 70-80 of them
(CJ Majors) rotate through here every couple of months.  That PROBABLY says something about Oregon's economy since the late
90's (When I came back in) but I'd really have to wonder what some kid with a GED would have to do to get picked-up by one of the
LE Agencies around here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I am actually working writing up the results on some research right now that shows little to no effect for bachelors degrees in patrol officers across the measures. This is a medium size department in an urban area.

There is some evidence that links education to use of force interestingly, but we really need more data on the issue as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have two bachelor's degrees, and I just graduated the police academy last month.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our PD only requires a GED but even in good times the overwhelming majority have a degree, military or both.  The communication skills that are needed today almost require some type of education beyond a HS degree/GED.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
This documentary says otherwise:

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am actually working writing up the results on some research right now that shows little to no effect for bachelors degrees in patrol officers across the measures. This is a medium size department in an urban area.

There is some evidence that links education to use of force interestingly, but we really need more data on the issue as a whole.

Those that can communicate do and those that can't, fight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
A GED is all you need if you also have the right skin color.  Some applicants are more equal than others, you know.  The DOJ has told my home town PD that they need to lower the bar:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/city-agrees-to-lower-test-scores-for-police-exam-1103409.html

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A GED is all you need if you also have the right skin color.  Some applicants are more equal than others, you know.  The DOJ has told my home town PD that they need to lower the bar:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/city-agrees-to-lower-test-scores-for-police-exam-1103409.html

GED my ass, more like a 4th grade "education" there....their hearts are in the right place though so it's all good......
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Department of Justice demands cities lower test score requirements for LEO exams

The federal government has demanded the city of Dayton, Ohio lower
testing standards for law enforcement positions in the city. The DOJ has
a quota in place, indicating not enough African Americans passed the
exam so they want the passing score lowered. The Dayton NAACP does not
think the testing standards should be lowered.

Of course, this is tied directly to
federal handouts to the police department or the city, as funding always
is accompanied by mandates. In this case, Dayton needs to lower the
standard or they won’t get their "share” of funding. From ABC 2 in Dayton.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Damn tabbed browsing...

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My dept. has tons of older guys who got hired with just a GED or regular HS diploma. I'm one of them. You need college or military now, The test to get hired was so easy it was laughable.
I'd say better background checks are more important than college. They finished my background "check" over 2 years after I was hired and on patrol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have two bachelor's degrees, and I just graduated the police academy last month.

Good for you!

Can't say that I miss being a cop, but... what I learned about the world, people, myself, in those few years... it still resonates with me today, 17 years later.

Just remember... any asshole can be a cop. It's not that hard a job to get.

But, to be a good cop... to do the job well...  that's not as easy as some folks think.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I know dozens of cops with GEDs and we still actively hire them IF they are someone we want. That said, promotions are somewhat limited to GED holders. I'm not sure why this is so controversial.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be a cop. I know a lot that have college degrees and some of them aren't the brightest stars in the sky. I also know some with GED's and a lot of them are the most proactive Officers on the department. I would much rather work with a guy that has common sense, street smarts and a GED, than a guy with a 4 year degree that is only book smart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#30]
shit all i need is a GED to be a cop there?

Around here they all want at least 2 years of college, more is better
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, it PASSED the spell check, it HAS to be correct.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

My dept. has tons of older guys who got hired with just a GED or regular HS diploma. I'm one of them. You need college or military now, The test to get hired was so easy it was laughable.
And yet, your fucked-up ass turned to be a pretty damned good cop.

Funny how things work out, isn't it?

Being a cop is like having sex. You won't know if you're good at it until you do it.

Of course, by the time you do it... it's too late to back out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, it PASSED the spell check, it HAS to be correct.

Hold the phone... does this mean Dan Rather has finally been exonerated???
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey!  I only have a GED.

<––––not a cop.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you!

Can't say that I miss being a cop, but... what I learned about the world, people, myself, in those few years... it still resonates with me today, 17 years later.

Just remember... any asshole can be a cop. It's not that hard a job to get.

But, to be a good cop... to do the job well...  that's not as easy as some folks think.

Best of luck.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would be interested in seeing the results of that study. I wonder if the results would be counterintuitive. Our college guys get sued a lot more often than our military veterens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top