Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 10:17:29 AM EDT
I've been playing around with picking up one of the newer Brunton Solar chargers, specifically this unit:
http://store.bruntonoutdoor.com/portable-power/panels-and-chargers/solarroll-reg-4.5/

And hooking it up to one of these:
http://store.bruntonoutdoor.com/portable-power/storage/sustain-trade-orange/

The intent is twofold. Im planning on doing some backpacking with a good freind of mine in the relatively near future, and I like the idea of being able to strap that fleixible mat to the top of my pack to trickle-charge the battery, which I could then use to power small electronics when we make camp in the evening. It also just strikes me as some really handy SHTF equipment.

Just fishing to see if the hive has any experince with this sort of gear, and if they can offer any advice on the matter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Brunton Solaris 6 and 12 and they work pretty good. Like with all solar charges, they take a while to charge things. How long will depend on which model you have and how much juice your equipment needs.

You might want to ask in the Survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a lot of money for a 4.5 watt panel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is a lot of money for a 4.5 watt panel.

I agree, but it's flexible and intended to be pretty durable. I plan on using it almost like a pack-cover on my backpack.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You can save a lot of money by shopping around. You can buy a powerfilm 15 watt solar charger for less than 200 bucks. They were on sale a week ago for 150 bucks and I screwed around and missed it.  Check out Amazon.com.  I have a few friends that have them and they are pretty happy for a foldable/rollable solar charger.  The powerfilm ones were highly recommended to me by a guy who puts them to good use in the field.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can save a lot of money by shopping around. You can buy a powerfilm 15 watt solar charger for less than 200 bucks. They were on sale a week ago for 150 bucks and I screwed around and missed it.  Check out Amazon.com.  I have a few friends that have them and they are pretty happy for a foldable/rollable solar charger.  The powerfilm ones were highly recommended to me by a guy who puts them to good use in the field.

This. Definitely check out the Powerfilm foldable solar panels. I have been researching portable solar panels non-stop for the last three weeks and they are the best. Like already stated, Amazon is the best place to get them. Also look at the Tekkeon mypowerall battery packs to go with it if your hiking. Their 3450i r2 model is gtg for what your described uses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top