Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 7:03:24 AM EDT
I have been somewhat following the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan and its disruption on Japans economy as a whole as well as on individual companies with facilities in directly effected cities. This got me thinking about optics specifically. Virtually the entire mid - high range of the optics price stack consists of scopes manufactured partially or entirely in Japan. I am curious if production will be significantly impacted by this natural disaster. Has anyone heard anything?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I can see a Group buy coming up: Japanese optics, like new, only slightly contaminated by radiation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quite the humanitarian, the OP is

-rb

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can see a Group buy coming up: Japanese optics, like new, only slightly contaminated by radiation.

The radiation might take care of any mold issues from them being waterlogged.  Win/win.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Peak optics!

Shortly I will be posting my pre-tsunami Millett DMS in the EE for the low low price of $500.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If a volcano destroys Germany and Sweden I would have an optics problem.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been somewhat following the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan and its disruption on Japans economy as a whole as well as on individual companies with facilities in directly effected cities. This got me thinking about optics specifically. Virtually the entire mid - high range of the optics price stack consists of scopes manufactured partially or entirely in Japan. I am curious if production will be significantly impacted by this natural disaster. Has anyone heard anything?

I was serving dpreview and bythom, since I am a Nikon DSLR photog.
Nikon lens and DSLR factory suffer damage from the earthquake, but not from the tsunami, but currently is closed for operation.
Several major optics, lens, and camera manufacturer (including Canon) have manufacturing plants located in the area, and are currently closed.

I think they are in damage control mode now, concentrating on saving life and stopping the reactors.
It is safe to say there will be future shortage, and will take some time to recover from the loss and damages.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Uranium illuminated reticles FTW
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

-rb

Let's just hope he doesn't go Toyota shopping...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Where is Light Optical Works (LOW) located?  

They're the world's Tier 1 lens manufacturer and where a lot of high end scope makers get their lenses and/or whole scopes made.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where is Light Optical Works (LOW) located?  

Suwa, Nagano

Light Optical Works
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

-rb

I don't see how discussing possible impacts on the supply stream of products from Japan is somehow cold

or belittling the massive death and destruction there

but please carry on

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-rb

WTF
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hell yeah!! illuminated reticle
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#15]
There will probably be other things developing shortages too.
The people that figure it out first can act first and purchase what they might need before the supply chain dries up.

The main thing is to get those reactors under control - what a disaster.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There will probably be other things developing shortages too.
The people that figure it out first can act first and purchase what they might need before the supply chain dries up.

The main thing is to get those reactors under control - what a disaster.

computer chips are going to take a hit

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top