Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2011 5:57:53 AM EDT

Sorry this may sound a lil racist but cant be helped. Yesterday it really hit me. I gotta get the hell out of Garland. We moved to Garland in 87 and it was pretty nice but now I almost don't recognize it. Gang activity has gotten bad here and you know things are going in the wrong direction when your town makes a center for day labor which gets hit by INS every few months. I swear driving through Garland you hit lil Mexico's every few miles.

The city has been trying to make some changes but I think it's too little, too late.

I don't remember it being like this when I was younger. Have you noticed any kind of negative trend in the area you live?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, my hometown of 5,000 people now has several strip malls and a Walmart.

It ain't Mayberry no more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#2]
They doubled the population of this street by tearing down a couple of old homes with big yards and packing them out with condos. Which they only got the permit to build if they made a portion of them low income. Since then My fiancee has had her car broken into once , trash can usually be found thrown on the ground , One fuckhead was arrested for trying to cut through the roof of the local grocery store. Another arrested with drugs. The list goes on.

This street used to be so quiet and friendly too =(
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Rockwall

I lived in Garland for a year in 1997. It was the same back then, the armpit of the metroplex.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My area is still on an uptrend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:06:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've noticed that those who normally inhabit the crappy part of town are slowly spreading my way.  Now I just need to convince the wife that we need to move before the value of our house goes down.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:08:34 AM EDT
[#6]
My area is still nice. Most of the criminals live over the border in Mass and they don't come up here to cause trouble because they know we all have guns

We get the occasional burglary, some shoplifting at the mall, every so often there is a bank robbery but that's about it, no gangs, no graffiti, no trash dumping.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
My parents neighborhood hasn't changed much except Dutch Elm Desease that wiped out the "canopy" over the block.  Kind of miss that.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've noticed that those who normally inhabit the crappy part of town are slowly spreading my way.  Now I just need to convince the wife that we need to move before the value of our house goes down.

This is happening in my town too.  Slowly but surely they are moving more inside our area.  It's ashame to see neighborhoods that were once clean and safe turn into places that are avoided now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
With the economy getting worse , seems like more B&E going on , every night you hear more stories about it on the local news.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If you live in a place where the economic "barrier to entry" is low, you can eventually expect the LCD to move in.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Urban Creep.

Yay for section 8!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]
We moved out of Charlotte NC 2 years ago...not for this reason, but mainly for property costs and such.  The suburb we live in is actually pretty much untouched by crime.  Eventually, they will all know there is a neighborhood out here, but for now, it's a nice little secret we try to keep.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Have you noticed any kind of negative trend in the area you live?

No.  I've only been here 5 years or so.  Same can't be said for the 2 previous states/places I've lived - they've gone downhill drastically.

The only place I can honestly say hasn't changed much is my place in Italy.  Same people, places, etc as when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really.  Still the same old hood.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes.     We never had break ins until the last couple years.  

I never thought I would see the day where I needed to put an alarm sys on the house
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
High property taxes and higher RE prices make great invisible walls, just sayin'...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in Charlotte & my neighborhood is actually on an upswing. It used to be a neighborhood where people would steal a car in another part of the city then drive it to my neighborhood & abandon it. We also had a couple drug houses. Now its a diverse neighborhood that has drawn a lot of lesbian couples.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I call it "Goblin Sprawl"
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#19]
It seems there is a shooting every day now in my town.  Really sad.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The town I grew up in was farmland when we first showed up.  A few years later, the town allowed a few giant apartment complexes to spring up.  The schools nosedived.  The crime rate went up orders of magnitude.  The local PD is now at least four times it's original size.

Best part?  The apartment complexes aren't paying much more than a pittance in property tax due to some kind of shady-ass waiver, so the homeowners in town not only get to enjoy the devolution of the town, but they get to pay the vast majority of the associated costs as well.

The scum are fairly evenly distributed among the races, you're as likely to get shivved up there by a white guy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We moved out of Charlotte NC 2 years ago...not for this reason, but mainly for property costs and such.  The suburb we live in is actually pretty much untouched by crime.  Eventually, they will all know there is a neighborhood out here, but for now, it's a nice little secret we try to keep.

Fort Mill?  Rock Hill?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:30:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
High property taxes and higher RE prices make great invisible walls, just sayin'...

Nah, the slum-lords just charge section 8 more rent

ETA, my street is still good neighbors,  I live on dead end with 5 houses.      If any go up for sale, I am prepared to purchase
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes. It sucks.

Ghetto bird searching for yoots every night around here.  Used to be a very nice neighborhood.  Now it's a couple years from being The Hood.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Crimewise no. But I do notice more of my neighbors are cutting back on maintenance and don't have the income to finish projects they started last year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:35:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Not really.

We're losing one homeowner to the plant closing in Union City (Goodyear), but the rest are retired and/or financially stable.

Folks I worry about moving in (ghetto rats) can't get a loan to buy a house in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Seneca SC commercial properties are in very bad shape. Every other building, strip mall space, or piece of Seneca proper land is for sale or foreclosed. The downtown is over 50% vacant. The homes that were being built and some commercial buildings being built in 2008 were stopped mid nail stroke and workers stopped. The hospital is losing a great deal of money and is seeing less and less medicare and business insurance patients and more and more medicaid. Our neighborhood which is right on the lake has 22 homes. I believe four are rentals (couldn't sell), six are second homes (empty and occasionally up for sale ever few month), and three are in foreclosure currently. We are in a rental home. Lots of denial with sellers here and the real estate agents. This is rural South Carolina and yes it is pretty and a cheap place to live, but these houses are not worth $600 - 900K. We aren't Naples Fl or Lake Tahoe CA. There isn't any fine dining, the golf courses around here are marginal, and unless you like to hunt and fish, there ain't a damn thing else to do if you ain't a redneck. It boggles my fucking mind seeing all these NE folks come down and start to bitch and complain about the town. WHY THE FUCK DID YOU MOVE HERE? All the neighbors bitch and moan about every damn thing about this place. I wish I could bulldoze down all these empty homes and commercial properties to clean up the place some. Makes me mad as hell to see Seneca look like some Mexican ghost town shithole.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#27]
My area is becoming gentrified.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#28]
We don't even rate a Dollar General store.  We got the Quarter Colonel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep we have 5 stop lights now.. They are putting in a new Natural gas pipe line so we have have shit ton of Texas welders here.. I am convinced that if you take a 200 pound Texan and knock the shit out of him the only thing that would be left is a silver belt buckle and Justin work boots..
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Clarksville, TN–––– This place is a shit pit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Where I live now, No. It is doing great. Small city where the local LEO's know every families car that is parked in the driveway/garage. The cop and the Mayor show up if someone pulls a moving truck up to a house. There are a good mix of old people and young people. The old ones are the perfect neighborhood watch and I'm a stay at home dad arfcommer, so its nice to have a secure home all the time.

We used to live in upstate NY in a neighborhood that was in a bad transitional stage. The apartment complex that was an 1/8th of a mile down the road had a major drug problem that culminated last year in a multi-murder drug deal gone bad with illegal Jamaican nationals doing all the killing. It was fucking nuts. And then two Christmas' prior a triple homicide about 4 blocks away on a random home invasion.

We now live in a beautiful 42 year old brick house with good neighbors, clean streets, private trash service, and local police that keep a watchful eye on things much like a small community police officer would have done 40 years ago. The elementary school is a 1/4 mile away and I can see it out my front window, my kids can walk to school and their is a kroger within walking distance if we really wanted to walk there. Its really quite nice. And I shoot every free weekend I have down at Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in Rockwall

I lived in Garland for a year in 1997. It was the same back then, the armpit of the metroplex.

My dad grew up in Rockwall and my grandma lived in Garland after she retired.  

When my dad was in Rockwall, it only had a small 2A school.  I also remember playing outside my gradma's house, it was a decent little neighborhood of older people.  Now, I wouldn't walk down the street by myself in that area

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#33]
no.  I only moved out here a year or so ago though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#34]
yup.  neighborhood i live in used to be mostly college kids and working class families.  now its a bunch rif raf.  several break ins lately.  i can't get out fast enough.  

same thing happened with the apartment complex my friend lives in.  when he first moved there, if he went to his place between 8am and 5 pm, there was hardly any cars in the parking lot.  everybody was at work.  a few months ago he came home at lunch and the parking lot was almost full, bunch of people just hanging around outside.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#35]
You can't trend downward when you're at rock bottom!!!

Always a silver lining, always.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

IL, SC?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My area is still on an uptrend.

What he said.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#38]
North Dallas still looking good.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#39]
4 houses burned down on my street in the SD fires 4 years ago.  Looks like a war zone.  Still no rebuilding.  The lady next door has gone nutty and let her place go to shit.  At the peak, I am certain her house would fetch $3M.  Now, she lives in it and doesn't even have electricity.  The neighborhood was once quite upscale.  Now............Not so much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Wasn't it Garland that the kid in Zombieland was taking about?

"it might look like zombies destroyed it, but that’s just Garland" or something similar?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Before I moved from Florida, a buddy of mine was pulled over in my neighborhood for looking suspicious.  Turns out a white guy in a black neighborhood sets off warning bells.  The deputy told him to be careful, as he was in a high crime area.  I never even noticed the rising crime trend, but after that I started to.  Car thefts from my neighborhood; larger police presence; graffitti.

I moved to a few miles outside of Detroit.  No downtrend here.  Can't get much lower.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

"it might look like zombies destroyed it, but that’s just Garland" or something similar?

Yes.......................
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#44]
The truth is the truth, whether some like to hear it or not...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Haha, Gotta love St. Louis City living
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, Gotta love St. Louis City living

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Ya it has changed.

When I built my house there were 2 houses on the 5.5 mile long road. Now there are around 20. But that's over a 35 year span.

But none the less it does seem crowded now even though I can walk out the front or back and start to hunt.

Oh well, progress.

EBR666
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm in the suburb right outside the Memphis line.  The crime is coming my way. Where I live is all middle to high class white.  If I walk about 1.5 miles towards the Memphis city limit.  It goes to lower class and mostly black.

Just yesterday they arrested 2 jail escapes about 1/2 mile from my house and they were coming my way.

I gotta get out and move another 5-10 miles towards the country sometime.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Well, ive lived in my current house for only 2 years so I cant say that Ive been around to notice any changes. Given the nature of my town I dont see gang activity going over well. (SDA college town).
For a place with a population of nearly 7000 it sure is a sleeply little town.

The wife grew up near Mansfield. Her parents still live in a very nice area but times have changed since she was little.

ETA: I lived in Bedford for 2 years. While it was clearly already "bad" when I got there, I saw plenty of remnants of a quiet, nice area of the metroplex which has been taken over by "less than desirables" A shame really. Looking at most of it youd never suspect
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"I'm in Garland, Texas.  It may look like zombies destroyed it but that's actually just Garland."

I live in a suburb of Chicago that is just...meh.  Very few grocery stores, only a couple of banks, no really big chain restaurants save for fast food.  I live on a street with a church on the right of me, and on the left is what I think is some sort of rental/boarding house.  Then we have the section 8 apartments where last year there was a drug dealing, cross dressing sex offended that got busted.

Not nice compared to the suburb to the northwest and to the west, nicer compared to the suburb to the northeast and southeast.  The suburb on the northeast has housing projects where suburbanites come to get their weed and their crack, and the suburb to the southeast is just...poor.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top