Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 4:36:05 AM EDT
Lots of us criticizing Obama for golfing etc, but wouldn't it be nice if the emperor of Japan got off his royal butt and addressed the nation?  He could be a rallying point for the nation but I find his silence amazing.  I know he is just a figurehead now, but he is a very important figurehead and maybe if he visited the ravaged areas and even helped a bit it would be a huge morale boost for the nation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#1]
OK.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Good point!!! We never tried his dad for war crimes; MacArthur treated him like a gentleman, the heir of the Chrysthanthemum Throne should step up to the plate, and rally the people in their time of need.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Asian politics are different. They do a lot of things behind the scenes and say things by not saying them. In this situation I'm fairly certain the Japanese royal family is doing stuff behind the scenes in order to help their nation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Asian politics are different. They do a lot of things behind the scenes and say things by not saying them. In this situation I'm fairly certain the Japanese royal family is doing stuff behind the scenes in order to help their nation.

I wish Obama would STFU and do something useful behind the scenes.

"Hope and change"?

Bollocks - more like "Talk and Whinge".
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Prior to and during the first part of WWII the emperor had no problem being seen in public rallying the troops.  While most Japanese no longer think of him as a god, he is still the repository of everything that is Japanese in their mind.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish Obama would STFU and do something useful behind the scenes just sit back and chill TFO until November 2012.

"Hope and change"?

Bollocks - more like "Talk and Whinge".

Fixed it fer ya.  He is an embarassment.... but elections have consequences.  We are living those now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Fighting Mecha-Streisand with Mothra and Robert Smith of the Cure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Emperor Akihito doesn't care about Japanese people.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2010/11/kanye-west-mike-myers.jpg

Someone needs to photochop Kanye out of that pic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://cdn.theurbandaily.com/files/2010/11/kanye-west-mike-myers.jpg

Someone needs to photo karate-chop Kanye out of that pic.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
...maybe if he visited the ravaged areas and even helped a bit it would be a huge morale boost for the nation.

Dude, nothing fucks up relief and rescue operations more than having some VIP visit in the middle of it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...maybe if he visited the ravaged areas and even helped a bit it would be a huge morale boost for the nation.

Dude, nothing fucks up relief and rescue operations more than having some VIP visit in the middle of it.

I would completely agree with this.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an important consideration, plus knowing that in at least one western country, it's leader is better left on a golf course.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Different society.  Even today the Emperor doesn't get out and mix with the population.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
the emperor has been a figurehead in Japan for at least 300 years.
he's a bigger joke than the British royals.

he's busy, anyway; new shipment of bukkake movies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top