Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 8:02:33 PM EDT
I just got randomly selected to buy these five 5oz silver coins (25oz total) from A****. I can buy these for $875.33+$99S&H or $974.33 total ($38.97/oz)  and I see them going from around $1800 today. Should I commit?

Here is an already completed auction for the EXACT same thing that sold for $1800 today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/America-Beautiful-2010-Silver-5oz-5-Coin-Set-Sealed-/300536819558?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item45f963ef66#ht_718wt_892

And one from yesterday that sold for $1875.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-America-Beautiful-5-oz-Silver-PCGS-BU-FS-Coins-/120694560410?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1c19f4d69a#ht_615wt_892

*Left cold for a reason.

I have only two hours to commit. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
First, they're not coins.  They're silver.  I'd rather get silver coins and not silver made to look like coins.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Silver is at $34.96/oz right now.

$34.96 x 25oz = $874.00

Purchasing at this price is a good deal only if you believe silver will continue to increase in value, AND if you believe it should cost $99 to ship something that weighs 25oz.  

By way of comparison, just prior to the Y2K hype, silver was barely over $5/oz.  And I'm reasonably sure it shouldn't cost $99 to ship something that weighs just over 1.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They're just bullion and have no numismatic value, so there's no point in paying anything above spot for them.

Apmex is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd skip 'em and get some eagles or maples. They are hella raping you on shipping

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're just bullion and have no numismatic value, so there's no point in paying anything above spot for them.

Apmex is your friend.

Quoted:
I'd skip 'em and get some eagles or maples. They are hella raping you on shipping

If I bought 25 Silver Eagles from APMEX, it would cost $1,031.00 plus $19.95 S&H or $1050.95 ($42.04/oz). There is a premium associated with all silver bullion that I am finding. I am looking for an immediate turn-around and all the offers on 'the auction' site has them going for a significant premium. Some have over 25+ bids and there are multiple purchases which decreases my fear of shill accounts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apmex is your friend.

Quoted:

If I bought 25 Silver Eagles from APMEX, it would cost $1,031.00 plus $19.95 S&H or $1050.95 ($42.04/oz). There is a premium associated with all silver bullion that I am finding. I am looking for an immediate turn-around and all the offers on 'the auction' site has them going for a significant premium. Some have over 25+ bids and there are multiple purchases which decreases my fear of shill accounts.

Silver Eagles are also inflated. Some people like them and feel that they're worth a premium. I don't - to me they're just bullion. They're not official coinage; they just look cool.

If I were in a buying mood I'd buy Random generic rounds or bars or junk silver. Last time I was paying attention you could still make some money buying junk silver on ebay.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apmex is your friend.

Quoted:

Silver Eagles are also inflated. Some people like them and feel that they're worth a premium. I don't - to me they're just bullion. They're not official coinage; they just look cool.

If I were in a buying mood I'd buy Random generic rounds or bars or junk silver. Last time I was paying attention you could still make some money buying junk silver on ebay.

25oz from that would cost $959.00 + $19.95 = $978.95 ($39.16/oz)

Your recommendation would actually be $4.62 MORE expensive, for silver that carries no premium if I want to sell (unlike the ATB coins which seem to be selling for almost 2x), not minted by the US government in a aesthetically pleasing manner, and not guaranteed by the US government of its weight and purity.

Why would I want to purchase that silver over what I originally purposed?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
haven't looked at ebay lately

know where to sell my kookaburras if I decide to

1300-1500 for a kilo? Jesus Christ

too bad ebay/paypal takes 10%

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
haven't looked at ebay lately
know where to sell my kookaburras if I decide to

1300-1500 for a kilo? Jesus Christ

too bad ebay/paypal takes 10%  

The ebay and paypal fees will cut into the profits.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apmex is your friend.

Quoted:

I don't pay a premium on eagles and stick as close as possible to spot prices and even have kitco bookmarked on my phone for negotiations.

what I like is they are easily identifyable and easy to trade and sell.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#12]
if you can't afford a green monster then don't waste your time, and save up to buy a monster
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are legal tender, worth $1.00 face value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top