Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:57:18 PM EDT
Yesterday's went so well, I figured I'd try again!  

Okay, before I get started, a few basic facts for the readers:

1) I am not a Kalifornian.  From MI originally.  Since college, I've lived in AZ, CA, WA, and Guam (with a stint in AFG, to boot).  
2) I am of average height and weight (maybe above average weight) - 5'11", 205#.
3) I am a Naval Officer, a male nurse, with nearly 19 years of service.
4) While I used to drive a 1-ton pickup, one day I realized I never pulled anything or used the bed for hauling and it was costing me big bucks on diesel.  I now commute in a Ford Fiesta.
5) I am middle-aged, white, bald guy.  Other readers have labeled me "racist, sexist, elitist", amongst other names.

These aforementioned facts will save me trouble later, if this thread goes the way I hope it does.

Okay, rant . . .

I commute approximately 20 miles, one way, to work, M-F.  I see my share of "bad" drivers.  While I'm not perfect, I do try to minimize my ass-hatttery when behind the wheel.

Today's gems, from my drive home (and just general daily observations); I'll limit it to three:

1) Why do guys/gals driving big-ass 1-ton pickups, delivery vans, or Family Trucksters forget it's not a Ferrari they're attempting to maneuver through rush hour traffic.  I was nearly sideswiped, not once, but twice by big p/u trucks who try to squeeze their way through traffic, that's barely moving as it is.  The funny thing is, a few minutes later, after the second guy changed lanes yet again (while I patiently sat in my lane), I ended up passing the guy as his lane came to a complete stop.  

2) I'm tooling along in my lane.  Traffic's moving maybe 40 mph.  Very few gaps in traffic, it is rush hour in SoCal.  Two cars in the lane to my right, decide they want to be in my lane.  Car #1 is maybe 1/2 a car length ahead of me.  He signals, I let him in.  Car #2, who started behind Car #1 (and right next to me) then speeds up and puts his blinker on and when I don't back off and let hiim in, he tries to squeeze in.  When he realizes he isn't going to make it, he backs off.  Then pulls next to me and gives me the finger.  Why do folks in the lanes next to you figure it's your duty to let them in when they put on their blinker?  I felt I did my duty, I let one guy in.  Car #2 could have just "zippered in" and come in behind me.

3) Traffic finally picks up a bit of speed, maybe 60 mph.  I'm in the second lane from left on a four lane highway.  I come up behind a guy who's traveling maybe 50-55 mph with a nice big gap in front of him.  No problem, I put on my blinker and take the lane to our left.  I begin to pass him and he begins to speed up.  I'm in a Ford Fiesta, he's in a BMW 3-series.  He quickly closes the gap in front of him - travelling maybe 65 mph now - I haven't altered my speed at all at this point.  The gap in front of me closes, too, and I'm now moving slower in my lane than he is in his.  I then come in behind him again, leaving a nice big gap between us.  He slows and allows the gap to grow between him and the car in front of him.  Right back to square one.  This seems to be a common thing in CA (maybe everywhere).  Why do some drivers feel it necessary to speed up whenever someone tries to pass them?  

Have fun!  I'm sure the many "perfect" drivers and model citizens will come along and tell me of all the ways that I've FAILED.  

Oh, I did say 3, but here's a bonus . . . why do some folks NEVER USE THEIR BLINKERS?  Do they not realize they are there?  Are they that lazy?  Not hard; takes a second and requires very little energy.  SoCal drivers seem to have a monopoly on this FAIL.  

Rich  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In So-Cal, drive aggressive or GTFO!!!

Used to drive 250-300 miles a day all over L.A..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, but for #3 you do what it takes to get in front of him, then slow down to the speed that was previously faster than him.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I just went to LA. The driving I saw was terrible. I thought I was going to get my ass run over out of road rage, despite the fact the light showed I'm allowed to walk and I walk really briskly. Not to mention the fact that no one stops at red lights before making right turns.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
LA isn't even on my top 3 list of cities with bad drivers
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to complain about US drivers, then I went to central america, its better here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

LA isn't even on my top 3 list of cities with bad drivers

No shit. They may drive like assholes, but they at least generally know how to drive.

Come on out to PA, especially the turnpike. Not one jackass out here knows how to MERGE.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Why so many poor drivers in SOCAL?

Hell, maybe 20% of the people that you'll meet come from SOCAL!

The ASSHOLES that got pushed out of their home town come here!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a Bay Area native and my wife is from Rhode Island.

When we go back to visit, I'm a total terror on the RI freeways.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey....Your the same guy who went off on a Mall cop...

And you complain about how we drive.....

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in LA two weeks ago and almost posted a thread about how overhyped LA traffic was.

Bunch of pushovers. They'd burst into tears in DC traffic and then the water from their tears would cause them to ride their brakes

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs more mall cop.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
LOL!

Try driving in rush hour traffic in Mexico if you really want a challenge.

Makes southern California look like disneyland.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Our freeways here are madness. Time to nut up or shut up.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This. Stay in the slow lane if you can't handle it. Driving in SoCal is kinda like driving in NASCAR. 4 lanes of cars driving 80 mph with a car space or less between them is win.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like the 405 near the 10.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And you're still alive.  You have skills.z

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I LOVED driving in SOCAL, nothing like pulling the grapevine at 100mph.

Or the run from Camp Pendleton to Anaheim.  Full on hard dick speed fests.

What I can't figure out, is why the fuck all the Californians that moved to my home state instantly turn retarded on the road?

These are people that as mentioned can do 80mph bumper to bumper, eating, talking on the phone, and putting on make up, but they get up here and can't get to the speed limit?  WTF!?!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Stay in the slow lane if you can't handle it. Driving in SoCal is kinda like driving in NASCAR. 4 lanes of cars driving 80 mph with a car space or less between them is win.

This and we don't tailgate here we draft.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#19]
California is the best state to drive in.

I wish people here in Seattle drove like Californians, but no, the roads here are full of tards driving 5 under in the left lane.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh, I did say 3, but here's a bonus . . . why do some folks NEVER USE THEIR BLINKERS?  Do they not realize they are there?  Are they that lazy?  Not hard; takes a second and requires very little energy.  SoCal drivers seem to have a monopoly on this FAIL.  

Rich  

Chill, bro; it's all part of the fun.

San Antonio drivers are usually people who are in it for the journey, not the destination: i.e, slow as molasses. Except on morning rush hour - then it's fun.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to deal with the same crap living in Northern VA. I lived right in the middle of 95 and Rt. 1, terrible drivers galore. Hell I deal with the same things here in SC, though nowhere near as much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Were looking at the trees or lost.
Quoted:
I LOVED driving in SOCAL, nothing like pulling the grapevine at 100mph.

Or the run from Camp Pendleton to Anaheim.  Full on hard dick speed fests.

What I can't figure out, is why the fuck all the Californians that moved to my home state instantly turn retarded on the road?

These are people that as mentioned can do 80mph bumper to bumper, eating, talking on the phone, and putting on make up, but they get up here and can't get to the speed limit?  WTF!?!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

First post and all.

Had the "honor" of driving from Benning into LA proper on the 10 last week...on a bike. Put yourself in a "I'm already dead so have fun" attitude. I imagined myself chasing a GP rider that I could never catch. My wife and mom would have died of heart failure if they could have seen me but it was a blast.

Houston traffic sucks but LA is next level all the way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top