Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 10:28:55 AM EDT
While changing brake pads/rotors/oil last weekend on my 2006 Explorer, I noticed my oil pan gasket was leaking.  Has anyone replaced theirs, or does anyone know how difficult it may be on this vehicle?  I know some vehicles are pretty straight forward, and some can be very complicated, with requirements like lifting the engine a few inches.

Anyone have experience with this?  I'd like to do it myself if it's pretty straight forward.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Should be pretty straightforward.  But sometimes there is a cross-member that is in the way and that makes it really difficult.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I dunno about an explorer, buy my 95 Jeep Wrangler's oil pan was a royal PITA!  about 20 bolts, all of various lengths and I believe two different sized heads, and man...holding that pan up with one hand while trying to get enough bolts started to hold it up AND keep the gasket in place.....

Never Again!

Shortly after that, I tackled the auto trans' oil pan...even worse!  Some tasks were just meant for a pro mechanic to do, I think.

Hopefully an Explorer is easier....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
2wheel drive or 4wd?

Fairly easy on a 2wd, but often times you will have to remove the motor mounts, and jack up the engine so that the oil pan can clear the cross member that is right below it.

4wd: Pretty much start removing things....such as front axles, before access is gained to remove the oil pan.

I have a 2002 4wd Durango.  If the pan starts leaking, I would seriously think twice about replacing the gasket.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Should be pretty straightforward.  But sometimes there is a cross-member that is in the way and that makes it really difficult.

Exactly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top