Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 6:45:28 AM EDT
Is there a special name for the big round tumor like things that sometimes grow on the trunk of a tree? I always thought it was called a bole, but when I started googling that it sounds like the bole is just the main structural member of the tree.

The reason I ask is I was cutting some wood over the weekend and cut down some cherry that had one of these big round tumor like things in it. I cut it out because I thought it might be fun to carve an actual bowl out of it. After cutting away the bark and roughly squaring it up I have a about a 12x12x16 piece of cherry with some pretty gnarly grain in it that I think would look pretty cool.

Anyone else do this and have any cool pictures of your work to give me some ideas?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen "One Man's Wilderness" (featuring Dick Pronnecke, who built a log cabin single-handedly in Twin Lakes, Alaska)?  He did something very similar.  I always thought it was called a "bole" as well.  He found one and made a nice bowl out of it.  The video is shown on PBS quite frequently so you can check it out and see what he did.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you seen "One Man's Wilderness" (featuring Dick Pronnecke, who built a log cabin single-handedly in Twin Lakes, Alaska)?  He did something very similar.  I always thought it was called a "bole" as well.  He found one and made a nice bowl out of it.  The video is shown on PBS quite frequently so you can check it out and see what he did.

Yeah, I have those on DVD. Awesome series and partly what gave me the idea!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It might be a tumor.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Burl
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Burl

This

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Pics?  that sounds pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Burl

Thanks! I was scratching my head on what to google to figure it out.

"tree trunk tumor"
"tree trunk knot"
"tree trunk bole"
"round sphere like thing on a tree trunk"

Aw screw it, arfcom will know!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#9]
No idea a cherry burl would have this much interest. I'll try to take some pics of it tonight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
It's actually a bacidiomycete - or type of fungi.

Trees can also grow a "scar tissue" from damage, bole weevil, blight or logging/skidder damage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top