Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 11:14:34 PM EDT

Beginning in January of 1981, American workers will once again be heeded.  Their needs and values will be acted upon in Washington.  I will consult with representatives of organized labor on those matters concerning the welfare of the working people of this nation.

I happen to be the only president of a union ever to be a candidate for president of the United States.

As president of my union—the Screen Actors Guild—I spent many hours with the late George Meany, whose love of this country and whose belief in a strong defense against all totalitarians is one of labor’s greatest legacies.  One year ago today on Labor Day,  George Meany told the American people: "As American workers and their families return from their summer vacations, they face growing unemployment and inflation, a climate of economic anxiety and uncertainty.”

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Beginning in January of 1981, American workers will once again be heeded.  Their needs and values will be acted upon in Washington.  I will consult with representatives of organized labor on those matters concerning the welfare of the working people of this nation.

I happen to be the only president of a union ever to be a candidate for president of the United States.

As president of my union—the Screen Actors Guild—I spent many hours with the late George Meany, whose love of this country and whose belief in a strong defense against all totalitarians is one of labor’s greatest legacies.  One year ago today on Labor Day,  George Meany told the American people: "As American workers and their families return from their summer vacations, they face growing unemployment and inflation, a climate of economic anxiety and uncertainty.”

Barry Goldwater, but its ok cus he never really was very Conservative to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

the gipper
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope

ETA....Had to go for a smoke, I could hear the shit storm

brewing from out in the boiler room
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
ronald reagan
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ronald reagan

Also known as 'The Gipper'.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya gotta love a guy who rats out his fellow union members.  No integrity.  Snitches deserve stitches.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ronald reagan

Yep
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ya gotta love a guy who rats out his fellow union members.  No integrity.  Snitches deserve stitches.

He embraced the union until their communist ways and thuggish tactics were revealed to him, then he fought them and ended up being one of our greatest presidents.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He embraced the union until their communist ways and thuggish tactics were revealed to him, then he fought them and ended up being one of our greatest presidents.

Yup. Because people getting together to get what they want is anti American and only the guys who already have the money should be allowed to use thug tactics.  Lord knows how pro-talent those Hollywood studio contracts were in the 30s, 40s and 50s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was on the Board of Director's of SAG 1941, 1946, and 1947. He was SAG's president 1947-1952 and 1959.

I guess he didn't understand unions even when he lead one for several years..........................................
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It's still a matter of too many people collecting benefits and not enough people paying for them.

No matter where we go from here, there will be blood, because nobody is gonna believe it until they see it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:51:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Did SAG members ever try to shut down California by breaking into and seizing the legislative chambers?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Reagan - no different than any other politician. He did what he was paid by his masters to do - however hypocritical those acts were.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did SAG members ever try to shut down California by breaking into and seizing the legislative chambers?

PATCO engaged in an illegal strike.

President Regan gave them 48 hrs to call it off.

PATCO continued to strike, after the 48 hrs.

President Reagan dealt with the ILLEGAL action.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#15]
This thread is FULL of hate and discontent !
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't he also grant amnesty for illegals?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#17]

"They remind us that where free unions and collective bargaining are
forbidden, freedom is lost.  They remind us that freedom is never more
than one generation away from extinction. "

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#18]
It's always a fucking blow to "conservatives" when they find out Reagan disagreed with them.

I'm surprised Hannity isn't hiding this film footage in some undergound lair like the Vatican hides the gospel of Christ.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:46:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ronald reagan

This.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Reagan wasn't a Reagan conservative. Modern "conservatives" try to lift Reagan to plateaus in which he himself never summited.

Reagan was neither the giant the Right made him to be, nor was he the monster the Left tried to make him.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya gotta love a guy who rats out his fellow union members. No integrity. Snitches deserve stitches.

Yup. Because people getting together to get what they want is anti American and only the guys who already have the money should be allowed to use thug tactics. Lord knows how pro-talent those Hollywood studio contracts were in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Just be cause someone "wants" something doesn't mean they deserve it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#22]
collective bargaining for private sector union  jobs?
sure
collective bargaining for public employee unions?
no
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
collective bargaining for private sector union  jobs?
sure
collective bargaining for public employee unions?
no

this
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#24]
The guy who banned machines guns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya gotta love a guy who rats out his fellow union members. No integrity. Snitches deserve stitches.

Yup. Because people getting together to get what they want is anti American and only the guys who already have the money should be allowed to use thug tactics. Lord knows how pro-talent those Hollywood studio contracts were in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Just be cause someone "wants" something doesn't mean they deserve it.

Yes but that is up to the company that employs them and negotiates the terms of what they "want".

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Patriotism or self interest?

He made his famous speech in 64

In 1960, while still working for General Electric as host of GE Theater, Ronald Reagan became part owner in a production company
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#27]
It is obvious some of you know very little when it comes to how a negotiation with a labor union goes...

Of course each union is different and at one time, they were necessary. Sadly today the majority of the union workers themselves have ruined the value of the unions with their more more more for less less less attitude and poor work habits. If you have not seen workers taking advantage - you simply have not seen much. Or choose not to see it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#28]
no issues with PRIVATE UNIONS which is what all the Unionists seem to forget, big difference between PUBLIC unions and PRIVATE unions.

Although I don't believe private unions are of any benefit to anyone.

PUBLIC unions should be outlawed and disbanded,

Unless you are willing to let me sit in on union negotiations between union and management and taxpayer, let me represent the taxpayer in the negotiations you will be begging just to get minimum wage if it were me negotiating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top