Cool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Are they not common in captivity?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

We are talking about a fish that can get up to about 10 ft, they grow to about 4-5 ft in one year, and are open water very powerful swimmers. So to see one in home aquaria is both kind of cruel and rare.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are talking about a fish that can get up to about 10 ft, they grow to about 4-5 ft in one year, and are open water very powerful swimmers. So to see one in home aquaria is both kind of cruel and rare.

I think that's the part I missed.. I thought this was like a city aquarium with one of those giant shark/big fish tanks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's the part I missed.. I thought this was like a city aquarium with one of those giant shark/big fish tanks.

Nope just the wacky japanese that like to take ginormous fish and stuff them in TINY enclosures where they can't even turn around in. I have seen pics of japanese aquariums where they have a 3 foot Goliath african tiger in a 400 or so gallon tank.

Just to give you an idea this is a 3-4 foot GATF.

Stuffed in this size aquarium

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:09:08 AM EDT
[#8]
They don't live long in an aquarium.  They end up stressed and with a broken bill, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi1fjaZwDQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They don't live long in an aquarium.  They end up stressed and with a broken bill, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi1fjaZwDQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is the only one to ever be kept successfully in a public fish tank EVER

I believe its still there. Never been to Japan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top