Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2002 11:47:08 PM EDT
OK , here it goes....

Saturday night, 9:00 PM:  Decide you MUST start making beef Jerky yourself. Realize you have no clue how.

[b]9:10[/b] Post message on AR15.com asking about how to make jerky. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=116109[/url]

[b]9:11-9:20[/b] surf the net looking for jerky info. then take info you have read, and compare it to info provided by trusted source (AR15.com members).

[b]9:30:[/b] Leave for Store to buy $39.oo dehydrator, and meat.

[b]10:30[/b] leave store after buying $109 worth of stuff including dehydrator, Mad MAx DVD, Metabo Life Pills (maybe they work and I'll loose weight).
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]10:45[/b] Leave grocery store with meat, bread, and assorted stuff to make Jerky. Cost $25.00

[b]10:55[/b] Stop at bar on way home for a beer, have two.

[b]11:20[/b] Get home. Unpack dehydrator. Glance at directions.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk1.jpg[/img]

Toss meat in freezer, thinking it will be easy to slice if partially frozen.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk2.jpg[/img]

[b]11:59[/b] Decide you are still thirsty and go to have ONE more beer.

[b]2:05[/b]Several bars later get home after "several" more beers and shots of Southern Comfort. Remember Beef Jerky project. Get all required things in one area, Beef, mixes, knife.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk3.jpg[/img]

[b]2:10[/b] Decide you do not want to ruin TOO MUCH beef if plan fails. Set larger package aside.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk4.jpg[/img]

[b]2:15[/b] Begin cutting beef into slices. Slices are anywhere from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch. Realize you will cut a finger off if you try and slice remaining beef into strips. Toss several shakes, puches, and bottles of stuff in marinade container.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk5.jpg[/img]

[b]2:30[/b] Place strips into prepared merinade sauce. Place container into fridge.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk6.jpg[/img]

[b]2:45[/b] realize you are starving and start cooking left over beef.

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk7.jpg[/img]

[b]3:05[/b]Eat leftover meat and begin typing a report to fellow AR15.com members regarding evenings labors.

I'll update you on how things are going tomorrow.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I give out beef jerky every year as Christmas presents.  I make a LOT.

From experience I'll add... I believe you're on the right track, but I think you could use a couple more beers. [Beer]

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
1)  (Sorry about your drinking problem.)  
2)  Buy flank steak
3)  Trim the fat
4)  Marinate in "liquid smoke", red pepper, black pepper, salt, onion, chili, garlic, paprika solution overnight
5)  Skewer 1/4" strips, and hang in oven racks on low heat, (with oven door open) for 10-12 hours.
6)  Seek help for your alcoholism, or, as an alternative, have another!

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Mmmmmmm....jerky. My favorite is venison.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:00:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mmmmmmm....jerky. My favorite is venison.
View Quote

There is no comparison.  But it has to be cooked in a regular "smoke house" or a "smokey joe" type smoker/cooker.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Aviator,
You could have saved alot of money and time.
You can make jerkey easily, quickly and cheaply in your regular oven using metal skewers to hang the meat, a buddy and I did two large deer into nothing but jerky this way in various flavors. We made regular, terriaki, and Daves Insanity Sauce hot. All turned out great in about half the time. We ate jerky like it was candy for about a month.

Brenlover
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an entire doe...well, the meat from an entire doe, anyway...in my freezer. I'd like to make some jerky from the quarters. What's the best way to defrost it to start working?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Dang your hide aviator..... Now I am going to have to make some jerky today [:)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I've made beef, turkey and bird (chicken breast), and it's the bird jerky that gets the most complements.  Also, crispy is preferred over wet, so I cook mine for 18 hours with an American Harvest (cooks hot)

Basic Maranate (dump in bowl & mix):
16oz soy sauce
4oz liquid smoke (mesquite)
4oz brown sugar

- Marinate for 12 hours in frig.
- Lay meat on shelve(s)
- All liberal amount of fresh ground pepper
- cook for 18 hours.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:18:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn! Well, I'm off to the store.
My dehydrator has been dormant for far too long!
I am a jerky fanatic!! I must make some RIGHT NOW!!

Thanks for reminding me Aviator!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I made Venison Jerky this year.  My wife has a deli meat slicer that made the job all the easier.

I am somewhat satisfied by the job however next time I would like it hotter.

I also want to change the colour....mine is really black....maybe less soya next time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Ever try the hambuger jerky?  HUMMMM.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I made Venison Jerky this year.  My wife has a deli meat slicer that made the job all the easier.

I am somewhat satisfied by the job however next time I would like it hotter.

I also want to change the colour....mine is really black....maybe less soya next time.
View Quote

I am envious of your meat slicer!

For HOT, I use lots of coarse ground black pepper & Cayenne pepper.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]
TROUBLKEMAKERS,,everyoneof you!!  now I have to get up, go to the store, gather supplies and go to work.[:0] fullclip
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm hungry now. Thanks, dickheads..

-T.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I went to the store, made my marinade,
sliced my meat (Ouch! [:D]) and it's in the
fridge till tomorrow when the dehydrator cranks up!
I even made some meat pies for dinner!

My marinade is so spicy from Cayenne, Black Pepper & Garlic that it made my eyes water!!
I can't wait!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm hungry now. Thanks, dickheads..

-T.
View Quote

It's not our fault, Blame Aviator!!
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've made beef, turkey and bird (chicken breast), and it's the bird jerky that gets the most complements.  Also, crispy is preferred over wet, so I cook mine for 18 hours with an American Harvest (cooks hot)

Basic Maranate (dump in bowl & mix):
16oz soy sauce
4oz liquid smoke (mesquite)
4oz brown sugar

- Marinate for 12 hours in frig.
- Lay meat on shelve(s)
- All liberal amount of fresh ground pepper
- cook for 18 hours.

View Quote

Never thought to use chicken breast for jerky.
Damn, that sounds tasty!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite:
Marinade
4 cups water
3 tablespoons Morton TenderQuick mix
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh garlic cloves as required.
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tobasco)
1 tablespoon Liquid smoke if drying in kitchen oven.

This marinade is for approx. 2 lbs of meat. Don't waste your money on a dehydrator, the oven method works great. Dry on oven racks or my secret, I bend small paper clips into hooks and hang the meat strips from the oven or smoker rack. Dry with the heat set as low as possible with the door cracked open. The jerky is done when it bends but doesn't snap.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't you just turn the oven on its lowest setting, prop the door open just a crack, and leave the jerky in it to dry for a few hours??
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]
No comment on the beef jerky other than this:

Never drink LOTS of whiskey on a stomach full of beef jerky....not pretty.

Does the Mad Max DVD have the original Australian soundtrack on it?

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I love jerky too.  But do any of you guys eat just plain pepperoni sticks?  Im not talking about the little slim jims but the real inch round think ones. I slice them up and eat them with a can of diet coke or a beer. Probably the worst thing in the world but tasty!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I love jerky too.  But do any of you guys eat just plain pepperoni sticks?  Im not talking about the little slim jims but the real inch round think ones. I slice them up and eat them with a can of diet coke or a beer. Probably the worst thing in the world but tasty!
View Quote

Yeah, but not for some time. Hard to find a good stick of pepperoni.
Plus, it's hard to find a good Provolone cheese to go with it...... (GA has no clue on good Provolone)
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#25]
[b]11:00[/b]  Wake up, remember jerky project. Load jerky into new machine...

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk9.jpg[/img]

[b]12:00 - 21:00[/b]Curse hangover, go shoot in pool tournement. Come home and remove Jerky. Good Stuff!!

[img]www.milpubs.com/images/jerk8.jpg[/img]

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Will those microwave dehydrators make beef jerky too?
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
look at all these gun owners raving about beef jerky.

IS IT ANY WONDER WHY THE JERKY GUYS KEEP SHOWING UP AT THE GUN SHOWS???

if the jerky guys didnt make no money at the gun shows they would stop showing up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Could be worse.  Jerky has survival value.  We could be talking about kettle corn. [:p]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I duno if the blace you buy your beef at will do it for ya but I know here if you got to King Supers they will slice the roast or what ever for ya. I like mine really thin, think ya get more flavor that way and they can get it about 1/16" and it turns out great!!!! You might try this out next time. Save ya some time, and after too many beers.... maybe a finger too!!!

DIESEL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top