Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 1:48:31 PM EDT
So I managed to root it using Z4. Now what should I put on it?

I read that Rubix is a good stable ROM, but where do I download it from?

Do I have to put a ROM before I put themes?

I would love to see some screen caps of your phones and the links where to get the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm running Liberty 1.5 and I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a droid x but have no idea what the purpose of rooting ones phone is for , please tell me what doing it is good for !
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
quick boot (allows rebooting, power off, etc)

titanium backup

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Now you can install Wireless Tether - if you have an unlimited data plan.  Makes your phone into a mobile wireless hotspot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now you can install Wireless Tether - if you have an unlimited data plan.  Makes your phone into a mobile wireless hotspot.

You can do that for free with PDA net also.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmmmm . that sounds cool !  I might need step by step instucs on doing that !
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]
How does one do this?
Why does one do this?
Will Verizon let one do this?

And yes, I have a Droid X.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Now that my DX is rooted, how do I back up my phone so it doesn't get bricked? Do I have to back up the files to my PC somehow?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Clockwork Mod recovery bootstrap allows nandroid back ups of the ROMs.

Also Titanium Backup can be used to back your apps up before flashing a new ROM onto your device.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Also check out the thread I posted asking pretty much the same questions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm . that sounds cool !  I might need step by step instucs on doing that !

Disclaimer - Verizon will say rooting your prone will void the warranty.  

After it is rooted just search the Android Marketplace for wireless tether.  Install, it use it.

I own PDANet - I bought it for use with a previous Windows 6.5 phone.  The free wireless tether is way better then PDANet.  You can also set an access key on the Wireless Tether if you use it where others could see the hotspot.  I would suggest doing so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
DX/D2 Overclock, AdFree Android, Quick Boot, Cachemate....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also Titanium Backup can be used to back your apps up before flashing a new ROM onto your device.

I did the Bootstrap thing right after I rooted, like it said to do in the instructions I was following. Do I need to Backup with Titanium Backup also, or is just Bootstrap good?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#15]
You can use Titanium Backup to backup your apps, otherwise you will have to reinstall all your apps from the market after you flash to a new ROM.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Gotta tag this one!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok Im ready to do this. I have watched the video and downloaded z4, liberty rom and titanium backup.

So from what I gather you transfer the z4 root program to your phone and activate it. Once that is done do you install and run the titanium backup program to create a backup point? Then install the Liberty rom?

Thanks..
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Setcpu use that to create profiles and save battery life. For instance I have it set to drop my cputo300 mhz when the screen is off

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the DroidX Bootstrapper... it makes flashing other ROMs EASY!

Make a nandroid (backup) of your current setup first.

I ran Liberty 1.0 for a while, but the theme changer derped on me and fscked the whole thing.  Had to the whole thing.  The whole thing I tell you!  Went back to my OEM ROM for now.

DEFINITELY get Titanium Backup if you're going to stick with the stock ROM.  

This is an excellent guide on how to use the bootstrapper.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:13:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the Bootstrap thing right after I rooted, like it said to do in the instructions I was following. Do I need to Backup with Titanium Backup also, or is just Bootstrap good?

Bootstrap will take an 'image' of the whole thing.  If you have to restore to it, your phone will be exactly where it was when you made the backup.  

Ti Backup does app and data level backups.   Do both.  

If you're using a custom ROM, you probably won't need to use Ti Backup to freeze the bloatware, because, well, there won't BE any bloatware!  

Gotta check to see if there's a good CM7 ROM available....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Give me 2 seconds and I'll give you a link to Rubix, I just installed it earlier tonight, MUCH BETTER ROM

Rubix on XDA

Rubix is outstanding thus far, but I'm also overclocked at 1.15ghz. I ran a Quadrant Standard at 1555 earlier, which was much higher than the top competitor.

There's also a link in there to get Rubix Unthrottled, which eliminates the carriers throttling after 2gig
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I just rooted my Evo last night. It's a good time so far. Not so sure about all the ROMs and stuff. For the moment I'm just sticking with the stck one.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm pretty happy with my Droid X as it is, but watching that Z4 Root how-to video, it looks so damn easy, and everyone says it'll make your phone better, but I'm torn about it...

Took me less than 3 minutes with Z4 to root, I've had my phone since Friday at 1030am, rooted by 4pm, flashed by 415pm, and have gone through 5 separate roms and like them all.  So far Rubix is the fastest and my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok well I followed the instructions and z4 has been loading for about 3-4 mins now... Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope, each phone will be unique, so give it a few more and see where you stand.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Shit still waiting.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit still waiting.....

When I first tried z4root, it took a while and never ended.  I restarted the phone and tried again later, and it took about 5 minutes but completed.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit still waiting.....

When I first tried z4root, it took a while and never ended.  I restarted the phone and tried again later, and it took about 5 minutes but completed.

So its been about 30 mins. Should I just exit the program, restart and try again??
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit still waiting.....

So its been about 30 mins. Should I just exit the program, restart and try again??

Damn, took like 30 seconds after I restarted it...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, shouldn't take that long. A few seconds on my X with Z4.

Pull your battery and start over, like I did.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#32]
OK. Liberty ROM is installed and phone is rebooting. Before I installed the ROM I created a backup using koush bootstrap. What else do I need to do?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

OK. Liberty ROM is installed and phone is rebooting. Before I installed the ROM I created a backup using koush bootstrap. What else do I need to do?

Are you Catholic?

You could pray to St. Isidore of Seville.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok I am attempting to add my arfcom email but I cannot get it to work. I had it before but cant figure it out...

I also cannot get set up on my hotmail account.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I went ahead and made a Nandroid of my stock/rooted ROM tonight and then installed Liberty 1.5.  Runs fast and smooth, of course.  Only thing I dislike is that it uses the basic Android camera app, which doesn't shoot in full landscape.  I was hoping they'd update that in 1.5.   I then installed the current Apex ROM and poked around on it for a bit, but said fuck it and went back to my stock ROM.   Restoring from a Nandroid is easy as pie.  

I hope the Nook Color developers get it to be this easy!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Bah, lost all my contacts and all of my apps did not get reloaded with Ti Backup.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bah, lost all my contacts and all of my apps did not get reloaded with Ti Backup.  

It may be too late to recover, but try MyBackupPro next time. You can back up your data so you don't lose contacts, call logs, text messages, etc. Also, if your contacts are synced with your Gmail you should be able to recover them when it resyncs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm running MIUI on my Evo.  Its pretty good so far.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Smokin. I get ~1300 with my OG Droid rooted (2.2) and clocked to 1.25.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:16:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be too late to recover, but try MyBackupPro next time. You can back up your data so you don't lose contacts, call logs, text messages, etc. Also, if your contacts are synced with your Gmail you should be able to recover them when it resyncs.

I don't understand I backed up every app with Ti backup one by one. It only reinstalled some of my apps and the rest have a line through them and give no option to reinstall, only uninstall or delete. I can't even buy the Pro version of Ti Backup because it wont accept my credit card.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Barnacle WiFi tethering.  I believe there are some CPU overclock apps for the Droid family.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Is there any going back after rooting it? (Returning it to factory?)
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#44]

What does this all mean, I think its the speed of the processor. If so, mine bone stock from the store is giving me a 1364 reading using quadrant. Is the 1500 reading that much better?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What does this all mean, I think its the speed of the processor. If so, mine bone stock from the store is giving me a 1364 reading using quadrant. Is the 1500 reading that much better?

I notice an improvement but bone stock my phone only scores in the 800-900 range.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I don't understand I backed up every app with Ti backup one by one. It only reinstalled some of my apps and the rest have a line through them and give no option to reinstall, only uninstall or delete. I can't even buy the Pro version of Ti Backup because it wont accept my credit card.

Your contacts/call log/etc is not contained within the apps. It's stored separately as data. I haven't messed with Ti Backup much, so I'm not sure if you can back up the data with the apps or just the apps themselves.

MyBackupPro allows you to back up the phone's data, the app APKs (the actual app file itself to reinstall) and the app data (like saved profiles/settings). You can choose to do all of it or only part.

You may need to redownload most of them off the market. Paid apps will still be paid, so you just redownload them. You can also try setting up your google account again and downloading Ti Backup Pro off the market. It might take your cc that way.

Quoted:

Yes. If you backup your original ROM, you can always revert to the factory ROM and settings. You can then unroot the phone and it would be pretty much undetectable for warranty/factory purposes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit still waiting.....

Yes

Mine hung up the first time around, also I didn't loose any contacts or apps (either time).

Also, I got overclockwidget and undervolt my phone while the screen is off.  When I turn the screen on, the widget overclocks my phone automatically so that I get the best of both worlds.  When my phone is idle, and not doing anything, it is using as little power as possible, and when I'm using it, the thing blazes.  

I went from getting a little less than a day with mixed use, to being able to get 2 days with the same use, and more if I use it less.  I honestly rooted for those 2 reasons, and I don't have to deal with blur anymore (DO NOT DELETE ANY FILES WITH BLUR IN THE NAME).
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:23:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, right in z4root is has that option.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok sorry to steal the thread again but I have some questions.

I still cannot get my emails to work (both arfcom and hotmail). I enter in all the info and I get this message : "unable to open connection to server"

Also I cannot find the original text messaging widget that I had on the phone before. It basically was a large widget that had a preview of my text messages.

My email widget is missing either...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:50:07 AM EDT
[#50]
go check out  androidforums .com   and     xda-developers.com you can find answers to all your questions
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top