Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 12:56:03 PM EDT
What you have, what you don't, what you need more of, if you need to start even a week or two stash just in case?  

Did you even think about it at all while you watched it unfold and how fast it can all go to hell?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course... I have also had three people I considered sheeple come to me for advice on getting prepared. I will help them, and in doing so, help myself.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a basement , but a tornado  hit would fuck us up. .  Under ground bunker I imagine would be fucked by a major quake.

I could use about 10,000, 000. in cash   But that would be a a bonus, and not a prep.  

The under ground bunker maybe the best idea, we have nuke plants closer to the east, north, nd ond south east, oone the quad cities to the west,  The wind blows mostly west to east.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not really worried about a tsunami here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Boy I should have prepped my typing skills.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
yes
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just because there isn't a Tsunami threat doesn't mean a bit of prepping won't make your life much easier in a natural disaster that is possible for your area.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Every disaster (man made or natural) makes me take stock of my supplies. I always buy more...  Try to get things set up better. I'm running out of room.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because there isn't a Tsunami threat doesn't mean a bit of prepping won't make your life much easier in a natural disaster that is possible for your area.

Well if it's a Tornado, I've got a nice creek bed to get into*.

But outside of a man-made disaster like 9-11 or a wildfire, I can't think of anything that could really happen to me here. And either of those can't really be any more prepped for within my budget/likeliness of them happening.

*I think I recall hearing that was best.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My main point to make with my coworkers is that people are having problems getting any food already,  so it's not a bad idea for them to have at least a month of food in the house for their families.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nor am I. But I'm also awfully close to Yellowstone, where the opportunity to be in a pyroclastic flow's path is high, much as you may be in that of a hurricane. I suspect you'd have more notice than I would.

If nothing else, the JPN tragedy has firmly underscored the need to be moment's-notice mobile in some respects, and ready to hunker down in others.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My main point to make with my coworkers is that people are having problems getting any food already,  so it's not a bad idea for them to have at least a month of food in the house for their families.

That took what, only two days or so? And it's going to affect much more then the area's actually affected by the Tsunami. Water is also already an issue and electric is also being "rationed" out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife and I have periodic conversations about being ready for the next big ice storm,  and have for years.  We yesterday had a good conversation about water storage.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I need a better stockpile of water and wood for the fireplace.  I'm most prepared for zombies.  Anything else happens I'm screwed.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#17]

All the preps in the world won't do shit when they are washed away by a 30 foot wall of water.

I need to get to mountians or AZ or UT before the Canary Islands fall into the atlantic
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought an inflatable raft for when the great lakes empty. I figure me the wife our two girls and my gsd can all sit on the second story of the house and when the 30ft waves come we will ride into the sunset. Ok you got me I didn't buy a dank thing
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course. Just like Katrina. These are example of how quickly things can go wrong. It doesn't matter your location either. Yours may not be an earthquake or tsunami. Society is fragile.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Drudge article said a 10 story tidal wave hit the lost city of Atlantis.....60 miles inland.

I live in Ohio.......an axis change in the right direction would put Lake Erie over the entire state.

Water can go anywhere

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All the preps in the world won't do shit when they are washed away by a 30 foot wall of water.

I need to get to mountians or AZ or UT before the Canary Islands fall into the atlantic
If you were a survivor what would you do? There is no power, and the temps are in the freezing range. Hopefully, you have food & water stored away, and clothing for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drudge article said a 10 story tidal wave hit the lost city of Atlantis.....60 miles inland.

I live in Ohio.......an axis change in the right direction would put Lake Erie over the entire state.

Water can go anywhere

I think if the tsunamis make it to 6,000 ft above sea level, I'd rather just die anyway.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]

I need to check the expiration date on my potassium iodide pills.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We have a basement , but a tornado  hit would fuck us up. .  Under ground bunker I imagine would be fucked by a major quake.

I could use about 10,000, 000. in cash   But that would be a a bonus, and not a prep.  

The under ground bunker maybe the best idea, we have nuke plants closer to the east, north, nd ond south east, oone the quad cities to the west,  The wind blows mostly west to east.

underground bunker suspended on big springs like our missile silos

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

believe it or not... theres a region of spain, i think, that if/when it goes... were looking at a pretty BIG tsunami event.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Nah. After all, I live on Long Island. What could possibly happen?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm thinking the guy in Monroevia may have had the right idea afterall
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Water can go anywhere

There's basically no limit to how big an impact tsunami could be. given enough energy everything could get hit, right up to the Rockies.

Not very likely, but nature is capable of anything.

I'm pretty well prepped but I've been thinking lately I need to get better organized to evac quickly if necessary.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I've done a couple of mental checks on preps as I've been reading some of the news. We're pretty much good to go. I live in Houston and we were prepared before Ike hit the area.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Not that AZ has much to worry about natural disasters. I did however restock my first aid kits and restocked my pile of costco water I've let dwindle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were a survivor what would you do? There is no power, and the temps are in the freezing range. Hopefully, you have food & water stored away, and clothing for everyone.

I do have food, water, clothing, batteries, cooking fuel, guns, and ammo stored.

My point is, I live a few miles from the coast and about 20 feet above sea level. If what happened in Northern Japan happened to South Eastern VA my preps will likely be destroyed.

There are just some forms of SHTF that no level of preparing can do anything about, unless you have the forsight to not be in the area when SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What you have, what you don't, what you need more of, if you need to start even a week or two stash just in case?  

Did you even think about it at all while you watched it unfold and how fast it can all go to hell?

They are one most prepared and organised groups and individuals you are ever likely to find.
Including such things as annual community earthquake drills, and evacuation drills.

But Preparation doesn't mean much when your preparation (house/car/you) is washed away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#34]
KI pills. Three nukes in my metro area.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are one most prepared and organised groups and individuals you are ever likely to find.
Including such things as annual community earthquake drills, and evacuation drills.

But Preparation doesn't mean much when your preparation (house/car/you) is washed away.

I don't know about all of that, there are a lot of people outside of the tsunami affected areas already low on water and food. And that, after just a few days, shouldn't be happening if they were really prepared with personal preps of a few weeks. Nationally is a different story, I would consider them better prepared then us in that area.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep.  I work at a nuke.  If an accident happens there, they may try to lock me in to combat the event.  I had to develop an E&E plan based on getting off site through site security, including staging a separate BOB so that I can walk home.  I included lead lined underclothing, just in case.

j/k
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#37]
My prep plans now no longer include a bug out shelter in japan...

Added a boat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
My thought was that, no matter how much you have stockpiled, it doesn't do you any good if your house disappears along with all your supplies.  Also, it doesn't do you any good if you are away from your house, like at work.  Yes, my car is well-stocked, but if I am on the ninth floor, and my car is in the basement garage, it might as well be on Mars.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Ironically I bought 10 cases of GI MRE's two days before the event in Japan.  For some reason in the last month I have been in a panic mode of sorts about prepping, Since the quake/tsunami/potential meltdown....nothing.  But many ideas flood my little brain.  I have been spending a lot of hours in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Not really. I'm not going to get hit by a wave.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My wife and I have periodic conversations about being ready for the next big ice storm,  and have for years.   We yesterday had a good conversation about water storage.

This is something I need to work on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#42]
No.

It made me realize that you can prepare for anything, and still die without warning in mere seconds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep.  I work at a nuke.  If an accident happens there, they may try to lock me in to combat the event.  I had to develop an E&E plan based on getting off site through site security, including staging a separate BOB so that I can walk home.  I included lead lined underclothing, just in case.

j/k

Won't they be giving you a lead tunic and a shovel to run up on the roof and push the fuel rods back in?  Mongo the Biobot  

At least you get your KI for free

The state would probably even give you an Order of Lenin  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I just put 911 on speed dial
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#48]
My house is on a 500 foot hill.

That would have to be one big ass wave.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not really. I'm not going to get hit by a wave.

Yea, Pennsylvania is fairly safe from tidal waves and most earthquakes.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be fully prepared. The big coming event for North America is likely to be the action from the New Madrid fault line. That destruction will probably wipe out all the trans-continental land links. Bridges, railroads, pipelines, communications.

And then, those of us located in the hills and countryside of Penna. will have to deal with the likes coming out of places like Phila and Erie and Pittsburgh. And hordes of influx from New Jersey (uck).

So the wave we have to be prepared for is that wave of humanity from those urban cesspools.

So, yes, I have given and continue to give a great deal of though to my preps.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I am currently out of state for work, so this makes me think how I would get home if a disaster struck while I was on the road. Since I fly 90% of the time I am very limited on what I can bring with me.  I have spent many hours thinking of E&E from the places I travel to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top