Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/13/2011 10:32:20 AM EDT
My  5 month old puppy does not chew on furniture or walls, so I'm lucky on that front but he likes to gnaw on rawhide or dog toys.

the problem: they don't last and he's not fond of rubber/ kong style toys. I think it's because he confuses them with our three year old's toys which he knows hes not allowed to chew on.

We got him rope toys and they get shredded in a day or so, the supposed tough cordura squeaky toys had their squeakers ripped out in a week (I'm pretty sure if i stepped on a turd it would squeak, pig ears are gone in an hour, we moved on to rawhide bones and they last about a day but add up quickly.  We've tried to get the ones for big dogs and he still eats them like candy. Real bones last even shorter. We're just looking to see what others are doing since we spent a bunch on toys again last month and are looking for a little durability.

bad pics of the puppy:

The brown on his socks is the remnants of a flavored femur a friend gave him and he ate in a couple hours

Scraps of a 6" heavy rawhide bone he got last night.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I've found that human femurs last the longest... however, I'm running out.  It must be time to deploy again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Find yourself a butcher shop and get yourself a couple of the largest beef stock bones they have.

They work well with my Rotties, anything else lasts about 35 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine will go through 6" rawhide bone in a couple of hours if I let her.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Last year I gave my 110lb black lab a 20inch bone. She ate it in an hour and a half. She felt terrible the rest of the day, and the farts were potent, but she didn't throw up or anything.

I give her one once a year now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've found that human femurs last the longest... however, I'm running out.  It must be time to deploy again.

Got any dirtbag neighbors?

Just sayin'......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Lately, a bag of cow ears from Bass Pro tossed out on the floor keeps ours entertained for days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Kong chews.... last a good while.  get the ones you can fill with treats so he doesnt confuse them with the kid's toys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Nylabones
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nylabones

tried that and he just stares at it like my son's toys.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Nylabones

This.  They make "Heavy Duty" Nylabones for aggressive chewers.  Although they love them and they look cute while eatiing them stop giving your dog rawhides.  They have a hard time digesting them.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Elk, moose, caribou antler works very well.  I buy them locally but I know you can get them online.  My dog can destroy anything and these survive several days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Put some peanut butter inside the kong.  Shove a  biscuit inside the kong.   Try to the puppy excited about the kongs and other tough toys.  Don't let the dog chew unattended.  When he starts destructive chewing claim the toy and take it away.  Give it to him later and let him get trained to not be so rough in the chewing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Some kind of bone from Pet Smart.  It's not rubber and not plastic, not sure what it is.  But it is strong.  My GSD has been chewing it for 2 years now and hardly a mark on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Find yourself a butcher shop and get yourself a couple of the largest beef stock bones they have.

They work well with my Rotties, anything else lasts about 35 seconds.

I also get soup bones from Publix and they'll slice them too. I don't cook them. It's better for them no splintering
It'll last them days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice pooch,  I have a 12yo boxer that looks a lot like yours.  I used to give him femor bones that I smoked myself or rawhides and still do on occasions.  He chews through them fairly fast and I throw them away before he can hurt himself with them
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nylabones

there are reports that these are harmful to the dogs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Kong Balls, I have 2 of them and keep them frozen with peanut butter and dog snacks inside them, when one is licked clean I reapply the concoction, throw in the freezer and the other moves up into the rotation.

The Kong products have staying power, he hasn't tore one up yet.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nylabones

there are reports that these are harmful to the dogs.

Link?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Elk, moose, caribou antler works very well.  I buy them locally but I know you can get them online.  My dog can destroy anything and these survive several days.

elk antlers and kongs. both work quite well.
http://www.wntpetsupplies.com/flriradogfo.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Bones

Bullet has been eating bones since he was a puppy. He is a chewing machine. I am told all labs are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two boxers male and female. The female could care less about toys, she prefers sticks and branches. The male loves rawhide. He destroys anything else. The kong with peanut butter does well though. Femur bones don't last long either. He has no interest in in nylabones. Anything plastic for that matter. In fact, anything other than rawhide or kongs wont last an hour. I'd just stick to rawhide and peanut butter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Kong, nyla bone, and fire hose. You might want to try a kong wubba, it's wrapped in fabric and has a squeaker in it. These are the toys that last the longest for my Doberman. My freind has a pit that destroys everything, he gives her traffic cones and tires
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#24]
My German shepherd took off through the pasture and came back about 30 minutes later with a cow bone. Its lasted her 6 months or so and still holding strong. No idea where she found it because I havent been able to find anymore out there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have two boxers male and female. The female could care less about toys, she prefers sticks and branches. The male loves rawhide. He destroys anything else. The kong with peanut butter does well though. Femur bones don't last long either. He has no interest in in nylabones. Anything plastic for that matter. In fact, anything other than rawhide or kongs wont last an hour. I'd just stick to rawhide and peanut butter.

We got a femur thinking it would last him a while.

He chomped through it in no time.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I get a big bag of rawhide bones at Sam's for about $15. The bones are the straight ones about a foot long  but the rawhide is really thick and there is a lot more of it in each bone than the bones at the pet stores and Walmart that cost much much more. If my dog really works at it he can chew one up in about 15-20 minutes but he is older now and doesn't chew as much like he used to so he usually just chews about half a bone then relaxes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
KONG lasts forever
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
gough nuts from ray allen. guaranteed for life. our gsd loves them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#29]
As much as she likes 'em, I try and limit giving rawhide to mine. After eating one 6 incher, she gauranteed to have gooey poop and nasty gas for the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

KONG lasts forever

I'm getting that impression I just need to get him interested. We have one, we put some wet food on it and teased him with it.

He was excited with it long enough to nibble then lick the food off then ignore it.

I think he sees all plastic objects as my son's.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]
My female boxer is about 7 months now. At about 5 months she became an aggressive chewer. Teething I think. You may want to just bite the bullet for awhile and realize its a stage of his life that he will get over eventually.
Sad thing is, my male was like that too until 2.5 y/o. When they get nervous, they WILL find something to chew also. Thunder, home alone, me and the wife unit doing the nasty, they both find something to chew.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Kong Balls, I have 2 of them and keep them frozen with peanut butter and dog snacks inside them, when one is licked clean I reapply the concoction, throw in the freezer and the other moves up into the rotation.

The Kong products have staying power, he hasn't tore one up yet.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/TecRsq/Pet%20Pics/032.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/TecRsq/Pet%20Pics/029.jpg

Dear god!
What a moose of a dog!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

As much as she likes 'em, I try and limit giving rawhide to mine. After eating one 6 incher, she gauranteed to have gooey poop and nasty gas for the next couple of days.

His poop is always good and solid and he has gas anyways.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Oddly my dogs favorite thing to chew are those heavy orange juice containers and floor mats.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#35]
We have an American Bulldog who is about 120 lbs and the only thing he needs is the four wheeler tire he took from the shop about 3 years ago. Its pretty tore up, but the knuckle head wants nothing else.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My female boxer is about 7 months now. At about 5 months she became an aggressive chewer. Teething I think. You may want to just bite the bullet for awhile and realize its a stage of his life that he will get over eventually.

Sad thing is, my male was like that too until 2.5 y/o. When they get nervous, they WILL find something to chew also. Thunder, home alone, me and the wife unit doing the nasty, they both find something to chew.

He likes being home alone I think. He gets better naps without the 3 year old running around.

I just thought about it for a minute he turns 6 months old in a couple days.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I give my boxer mix puppy rawhide chews but lately she's taken to chewing my 100' hoses into foot long sections.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The largest rubber Nylabone they make.  It's black, and probably weighs a few pounds.  It's the only thing my pit bull/bullmastiff mix doesn't destroy in about five minutes.  I buy one every few months for him, but he's fully grown, not a full time chewer.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Kongs are great. Just not by themselves. Gotta have something in them. They are the only thing that has stood the test of time for my dogs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#40]
A big bone.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#41]

We've been buying oversized ones for him to try to see if it would slow him down.

He's still pretty small. he's about 45-50lbs. His mom is tall and thinner while his dad is built like a tank

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Here's mine from September. Great dogs, but aggressive chewers. Rawhide may not be the best, but has no ill affects for them.
eta- trying to figure out the image hosting thing
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albumshttp://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k623/donaldj3637/005.jpg

Here's mine from September. Great dogs, but aggressivechewers. Rawhide may not be the best, but has no ill affects for them.

eta- trying to figure out the image hosting thing

Good looking dogs!

Luckily mine isn't a chewer yet.

My sister's dog (my dogs sister from a previous litter) is. She chewed on walls.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#44]
We got this kitten for Tindy a couple of months ago, and he still hasn't worn it out...

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nylabones

these
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
KONG lasts forever

No they don't, my dog has gone through many Kongs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
My lab pit mix is a chewing machine, so far the Nylabone is the only survivor and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Our dog is a very heavy chewer and anymore there are only a few items that last very long..  When he was younger we did cow hooves, but they last a while then start to splinter..

I have read many times about not giving dog 'rawhide' type stuff.. A coworker had to have emergency surgery on her dog because he ingested a piece of rawhide and it would not pass thru..

Here is what works of us

Tuff Toys

Nylabone dinosaurs

Brian
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My lab pit mix is a chewing machine, so far the Nylabone is the only survivor and is still going strong.

What breed?
ETA-Quote FAIL
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
KONG lasts forever

No they don't, my dog has gone through many Kongs.

What breed?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top