Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 6:26:52 AM EDT
I recently moved my email accounts from Cox to MyDomain servers and now it's like there's a spam avalanche every time I log-in.

I like using Outlook Express for quick glances at my email and I don't like using MyDomain's "cloud" email system. They use "Open-xchange" for email and "spam assassin" but tell you that you're going to have to go through over a thousand spams before it will start working right, and I presume that it only works on their "cloud" and not emails downloaded to Outlook Express.

Can anyone recommend a spam blocker that works with Outlook Express?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Do yourself a HUGE favor and ditch Outlook Express.

Pretty much ANYTHING is better.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest switching to an email provider that had better filtering. There is no sense in doing filtering client side.

Full disclosure: I work as a sysadmin for a large email hosting company.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:42:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Gmail does an amazing job of trashing spam so I never even see it.

1. Get gmail account.

2. Setup gmail to fetch your other email (mail settings -? accounts and import -> check mail using POP3)

3. access your email through gmail web interface (or through POP/IMAP in a client such as outlook express )

4. Transition to using your gmail address for everything so you get it faster then your old email addresses
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would suggest switching to an email provider that had better filtering. There is no sense in doing filtering client side.

MyDomain is using something called "Open-Xchange" for an email server and they don't seem to be doing anything to filter the spam. This is getting ridiculous.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Gmail does an amazing job of trashing spam so I never even see it.  

1. Get gmail account.
2. Setup gmail to fetch your other email (mail settings -? accounts and import -> check mail using POP3)
3. access your email through gmail web interface (or through POP/IMAP in a client such as outlook express )
4. Transition to using your gmail address for everything so you get it faster then your old email addresses

This sounds like great advice, but most of my emails are on business matters and I need my "dot.com" email address. Anything with "yahoo" or "aol" or "google" (gmail) in the address looks amateurish to clients.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using Ipowerweb (own my own domain) for years.  They have a great filter and I rarely get spam filter.  I
get very very few junk mail.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MyDomain is using something called "Open-Xchange" for an email server and they don't seem to be doing anything to filter the spam. This is getting ridiculous.

Depending on what they (MyDomain) charge, I could refer you to a great place for email with good rates and filtering, that may employ a few arfcommers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top