Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 8:26:23 PM EDT
I know that regular scopes should not be used on an airgun, because the recoil is in the opposite direction, but is the reverse true?

I saw a scope last night that seemed a bargain in the cheap scope category.  It's made in china, but has a 30mm tube, illuminated mildot reticle, decent glass and a solid build.      Here is it:   http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-night-pro-scope.html

I know there are better quality options in the $300, $600, $900+ range, but some of us have an interest in putting together cheap yet reliable blasters.

Anybody have experience with these scopes?    Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, why do you want to do this?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know that regular scopes should not be used on an airgun, because the recoil is in the opposite direction

Huh?  I'm sure a decent scope could handle the "recoil" from an airgun.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that regular scopes should not be used on an airgun, because the recoil is in the opposite direction

You are wrong, and so is BillofRights.

high-powered springer airguns will absolutely destroy most standard scopes.

springer airguns recoil both directions.  Not just opposite direction.

I've used my air rifle scope on my .22LR's, but thats where that ends.  There is decent glass out there that isn't made in china or cost $2000.  Burris, Nikon, lower end Luepold, Redfield, etc, etc.  Keep saving.  You'll need to get new rings anyways since the airguns use a 11mm dovetail.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
$90?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know that regular scopes should not be used on an airgun, because the recoil is in the opposite direction, but is the reverse true?

I saw a scope last night that seemed a bargain in the cheap scope category.  It's made in china, but has a 30mm tube, illuminated mildot reticle, decent glass and a solid build.      Here is it:   http://www.airgundepot.com/rws-night-pro-scope.html

I know there are better quality options in the $300, $600, $900+ range, but some of us have an interest in putting together cheap yet reliable blasters.

Anybody have experience with these scopes?    Thoughts?

sure, why not?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste your time and money on chinese optics.  Spend a little more and get a Redfield Scope.  Made in USA, lifetime warranty, and EXTREMELY clear optics.  I have not bought one yet, but settled on a Redfield 3-9x scope for my M&P 15 22LR for the Appleseed Project.  I have my eye on the Accu-Reticule one at my local shop for $160.

http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Geeze,  the noise to signal ration has shot up significantly in recent years.  People will say "well, that's what you get for posting the question in GD".  

And they would be right.

Thing is, GD gets many more viewings, and still contains has a few smart, knowledgeable people.  
It may well be a crappy idea, but can anybody tell me Why? (in technical terms)

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The scope "may" survive but the glass will suck, and you buy a scope for the glass.

technically the site picture will look like shit at any appreciable ranges

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't waste your time and money on chinese optics.  Spend a little more and get a Redfield Scope.  Made in USA, lifetime warranty, and EXTREMELY clear optics.  I have not bought one yet, but settled on a Redfield 3-9x scope for my M&P 15 22LR for the Appleseed Project.  I have my eye on the Accu-Reticule one at my local shop for $160.

http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html

Good advice for sure, and I'll probably will get one of those.  

However,  I was tempted by the illuminate midot.  I like the Leupold one obviously, but I have more important uses for $1000 these days.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I will never understand the logic of spending $700+ on a rifle only to mount a $75 optic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Primaryarms.com is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The scope "may" survive but the glass will suck, and you buy a scope for the glass.

technically the site picture will look like shit at any appreciable ranges

I looked through one, and it really didn't look that bad.  Not up to par with my Acog, but better than you would think.  

It's accepted that Chicoms can make 50" HD LCD TV's, but it's assumed they can't make lenses.  

I have some nice glass, and appreciate the difference, but this isn't meant for a gun that I'll be using to fight the Taliban.  (unfortunately)

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I will never understand the logic of spending $700+ on a rifle only to mount a $75 optic.

First, why are you assuming I am putting it on a $700 rifle.        

Second, why wouldn't you use a $75 optic if it works?          Would you use a $75 stock?  Magazine?   BUIS?   Ammo?

Some people enjoy building functional budget firearms.    

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have some nice glass, and appreciate the difference, but this isn't meant for a gun that I'll be using to fight the Taliban. (unfortunately)

If I may be curious, what do you consider "nice glass"??
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
GET THIS

Its $154, but there are tons of 15-20% off coupons for Dick's website.

The 3-12AOC one It has an adjustable parallax.

Works for me for a year now.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]
You probably could... airgun scopes can typically be used on rimfire, and .223 doesn't kick that much.  One major hardware issue is the rings/mounts, as most airgun scopes are designed with 3/8 inch dovetails in mind.  On the airgun recoil issue, DanTSX nailed it perfectly.

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used my air rifle scope on my .22LR's, but thats where that ends.  There is decent glass out there that isn't made in china or cost $2000.  Burris, Nikon, lower end Luepold, Redfield, etc, etc.  Keep saving.  You'll need to get new rings anyways since the airguns use a 11mm dovetail.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Second, why wouldn't you use a $75 optic if it works?          Would you use a $75 stock?  Magazine?   BUIS?   Ammo?
Some people enjoy building functional budget firearms.    

On this website? Firearms are a bigger budget item than food here.

ETA I'll tell you a 50 dollar NCStar can handle the recoil just fine. As for dedicated airgun scopes, I have no idea.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

African safari guides can tell the Americans apart from the Europeans by the rifles they carry.

Americans have $1000 guns with $100 scopes on them while the Europeans have $100 rifles with $1000 scopes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Ok, what "5.56 rifle" are you looking to mount the air rifle scope on?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Second, why wouldn't you use a $75 optic if it works? Would you use a $75 stock? Magazine? BUIS? Ammo?

I do have a $75 optic on a .22 rifle, and it works fine.  As far as stocks, magazines, ammo, and sights go, its really not relevant considering we are discussing cheap airgun scopes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Ok, what "5.56 rifle" are you looking to mount the air rifle scope on?

I have built or bought six AR15s for $500-600, most with Colt uppers and internals.  You just have to look around.   Five converted Siaga AK's, plus several .22 rifles, and a few bolt guns in the sub $400 range.  If you think you have to spend $700 plus for a good rifle, you are doing it wrong.  

A lot of good budget scopes are available.   For example, I picked up one of these for $130.  http://www.cabelas.com/riflescopes-cabelas-alaskan-guide-premium-riflescope-3.shtml     The glass is remarkably good.     Clarity and  light gathering is better than my Nikon Prostaff. (another good budget scope)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#24]
The problem with using an airgun scope on a .223 is that the parallax will be adjusted for a much shorter range than the useful range of a .223.  E.g., parallax will be set for 50 yards or less.

Parallax explained.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#25]
youve been here since 2001 so i doubt you could be much younger than me... so recoil in the wrong direction?? huh?

people try this time and time again and it never works, no amount of airgun, bb gun, airsoft, paintball type bullshit is ever gonna stand up to the abuse of an intermeddiate caliber carbine... ever

I can say however that with enough hot glue and a set screw that a colt 1-4x recce optic can in fact be somewhat well zerod onto a bb gun...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmm no shit. learn somehting new every day. my apologies OP.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#27]

CLEAN UP on aisle 1,..........Airsofter aisle 1.........we need a clean up on Aisle 1
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

youve been here since 2001 so i doubt you could be much younger than me... so recoil in the wrong direction?? huh?

people try this time and time again and it never works, no amount of airgun, bb gun, airsoft, paintball type bullshit is ever gonna stand up to the abuse of an intermeddiate caliber carbine... ever

I can say however that with enough hot glue and a set screw that a colt 1-4x recce optic can in fact be somewhat well zerod onto a bb gun...

The problem is not that firearms "recoil in the wrong direction."  What you seem not to understand is that spring piston air rifles have bi-directional recoil.  On a high power air rifle such as my RWS-34 this will destroy scopes intended for mounting only on firearms.  You must use a scope rated for air rifle use or the bi-directional recoil will trash most firearms scopes, even high dollar ones, because they are not designed to handle it.

Also, just because something is labeled as an "air rifle scope" doesn't mean it's a cheap POS.  Leupold and Burris make air rifle scopes, for example.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#30]
If it'll mount, you can use it.  But it may only make it a few shots before pieces of the scope fall off or the alignment is trashed.

Use the correct product for the given application.   It saves a lot of frustration and keeps gear breakage to a minimum.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is not that firearms "recoil in the wrong direction."  What you seem not to understand is that spring piston air rifles have bi-directional recoil.  On a high power air rifle such as my RWS-34 this will destroy scopes intended for mounting only on firearms.  You must use a scope rated for air rifle use or the bi-directional recoil will trash most firearms scopes, even high dollar ones, because they are not designed to handle it.

Also, just because something is labeled as an "air rifle scope" doesn't mean it's a cheap POS.  Leupold and Burris make air rifle scopes, for example.

I understood that I was mistaken which is why I left my post as it was originallyy and apologized directly to the op for my mistake
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I paid $99 for a Nikon Prostaff that was on my AR,and now sits on my Savage .22. Nice scope for the money,glass is clear and has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#33]
About 10 years ago the Beeman airgun catalog showed one of their scopes mounted on an HK91.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my springers have nice rifle scopes on them,  the cheaper ones wont hold up at all on a springer
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
About 10 years ago the Beeman airgun catalog showed one of their scopes mounted on an HK91.

The Beeman SS-2 is one of the best scopes I ever owned......It spent most of it's time with me mounted on .223's

Good luck finding one for anything less than 3-400 nowadays

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/01/look-back-in-time-beeman-ss2-short.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Will it work once? Yes.
Will the optic quality suck? Yes.
Will it hold zero? Maybe.
Will it be reliable? Probably not.
Will you end up replacing it later with a more expensive optic, throwing out the POS scope you're looking to buy now? Only if you actually shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Heres my take on it, you can take it or leave it.
Regardless of the physics of recoil, with an Airsoft or Pellet/BB gun you are only attempting to shoot "paper" (target shooting) and will never under any circumnstances have to rely upon said weapon system to neither down a big game wild animal (ethically), nor save your own life or the life of a loved one. It is IMHO that you leave the airsoft stuff to airsoft and assemble a completely reliable weapon system that you can depend on shot after shot, after being stored for months, bounced around in the truck / field and grants the owner the confidence to know he/she will hit and nutralize his/her target in which he/she engages efficently and most importantly on the first round. Eliminating the uncertainty of the round missing the intended target and terminally contacting an innocent bystander or less missing the target alltogether.
Real guns deserve real optics. I am speaking from experience when I say that a quality optic is well worth what you pay for it. Most likely the iron sights that come with the weapon will be far more reliable than a cheap optic.
Respectfully,
USMC_0317_SS
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#39]
your asking the knuckleheads here about air gun recoil? lol good luck with that.
if it is truely a quaility air gun scope (old beeman with blue ring) you could mount it on a 50 cal and it would outlast the rifle. a real airgun scope will have springs in it to ease the harsh recoil. If you check ebay the old beeman scope always bring more than what they cost when new. I worked at a fun shot in the late 80's and bought several of them. i have never mounted them on an airgun, only centerfire rifles and have yet to have one fail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top