Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2011 8:06:55 PM EDT
Regarding the sucky Reno Gun Show I just got back from, I give you this question:

Has the Internet made Gun Shows obsolete?  I will make the first vote of: YES

Reno Gun Show Link
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
For some things yes. Like in Pa, you have to have a tax ID to be able to get a table at most shows. So that kills alot of the guys who used to just go and set up with shit they had laying around. Not really in it as a business, but it was something to do. So now its all dealers, and they do it to put food on their tables. I still go, you get alot of people who walk in with stuff for sale, so you can still find deals. It has really made the market much bigger, which is good, but not so much for shows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Most gun shop customers do not realize they can order a gun themselves and have it shipped to a willing FFL, if they did half the gun shops in the country would go out of business or discontinue buying stock for there stores and just focus on transfers.

If the liberals really wanted to shut down gun shops in large numbers they would simply update NICS to work across state lines via phone and remove the ship too FFL requirement.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Not completely. Buying ammo cans at gun shows is better than buying online + shipping. I also use gun shows to compare firearms I've only seen online.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Where else can you get such a great selection of beef jerky, overpriced nazi paraphanalia and moisture wicking gun-socks?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I put down yes although I still see use for the shows in some cases. If you are looking for something used or say old guns(ww2 guns) where you would want to see them first it can be nice. Past that in my area they are more expensive then the local shops in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The only reason I voted no is that the shows are still the easiest way to pick up stripped lowers now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
No, I can get used brass primers and sometimes bulk powder cheaper at local shows. I can buy new guns cheap without having to travel to the dealers store over an hour away. I can shop dealers that have no store and only come to shows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Only good thing about that show is the bar setup before you go in, inbetween ballrooms, and at the end of the other balroom.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I can think of worse ways to waste an afternoon and 7 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I still go to get hands on whatever im thinking about purchasing, then I come back home and price it/buy it online.

Just because I don't buy anything doesn't mean its not an enjoyable day trip
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
No.

I can get stuff at gunshows with no S&H.

Also, I can handle stuff at gunshows and get a feel for it. Didn't like the MSAR as much as I thought it would.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]

I go for the smell of B.O., and to finger stuff I might like.

Can't do that on the interwebz.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Not completely obsolete. There are plenty of firearms that are not longer in production and simply can't be ordered new from one of the online mega-dealers. There are also still a lot of older guys that simply will never use the internet. For large bulky items like reloading componets, ammo cans, etc you can't beat a gun show.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I voted yes.  

There are three decent shows a year in my area.  The rest are junk shows.

I pretty much gave up going to shows.  The exception is if I'm hunting down a specific item thai is difficult to find.

The internet is where I get the majority of my firearm related stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
For curio guns, I feel more comfortable buying them from someone in person than a gunbroker nobody and I also like to checkout/finger firearms. Plus some things are cheaper to pick up a a gun show because of shipping costs. (I do buy most of my curio guns from internet FFL's.)

But having said that, I buy about 10 times more product on the internet than at the gun shows.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes!

Local Places cant compete with prices on the net.

lastt show I went to the cheapest I found a stripped lower was $130 and I had bought mine from a local store for $100 and there on the net for $65 with shipping
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#18]
No.
I like to handle a gun before I buy it.
I buy a lot of stuff at gun shows –– including guns –– that I had no idea I was shopping for.  Something catches my eye and I just have to have it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Nope.

I enjoy buying things in person more often than over the internet, not only with guns but electronics, etc. Although it may be higher priced, I like getting what I paid for when they have my money, not 3-10 business days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I even saw a booth selling that new magical bracelet thing!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#21]
It is nice to be able to see and inspect the actual gun you are going to purchase.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#22]
No they did it to themselves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It is nice to be able to see and inspect the actual gun you are going to purchase.

This.

I still go and buy plenty of stuff at shows.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#24]
No.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes.

I used to go to every gun show in the area. Now its simply not worth it by the time I pay for gas, parking and admission. Those always add up to more than shipping if I just buy online.

The only "gunshow" worht going to anymore is Shot Show.  For everything else, Midway, Brownells, LaRue, DSGarms, & ammunition to go & walmart.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Price gouging and overall BS are why I havent been to one in years
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I went to a show last weekend down in Tampa FL. and it was packed to the rafters with people and they were buying guns like crazy.
The tables set up by the vendors to fill out the paper work were packed. It was almost like the Obummer scare .
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes, it has for me.

I have NEVER purchased a firearm from a gun show.

I have purchased firearms from gunshops, but have not done so in about 10 years now.

I have purchased smaller items from gun shows and shops recently, but frankly I have yet to see a better deal on a firearm even after shipping and FFL transfer is taken into consideration at a gun show then online.

I suspect MOST the FFL dealers at the gun shows are purchasing firearms, like me, from CDNN Investments sometimes.  

The entrance fee to me is just not worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Not even close.

Of course J&G and Miwall attend the local shows so that makes it worth it right there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not even close.

Of course J&G and Miwall attend the local shows so that makes it worth it right there.

Miwall does frequently have good deals on discontinued or overstocked factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't think the internet did that. The gun shows and the vendors did it to themselves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty much.  The only time I'll go to one now is if I have cash on me and want to pick up some ammo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I voted yes. I've been a certified gun nut for close to a decade (longer if you count my high school rifle team and US Army stint) and have never been to a gun show. I hear nothing but negatives about them and can get everything I need via the internet (including arranging off-paper private transfers, which aren't allowed at Oregon gun shows).
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I deal st gunshows and see plenty of things that I can get for less online but there are still bargains to be had, you just need to know what you're looking at. I've gotten bargains on guns, ammo and plenty of other goodies you'd never find online. The crowds are usually good at the shows in south central PA and MD as we sell a lot. They're not obsolete for us.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#36]
You can't people watch at online gun stores or auction sites. That aspect of gun shows is priceless.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
No. A and B and C

A: I walk into a gun show, buy a case of ammo with cash and who knows? What record has been kept?

B: I keep the money in my state.

C: The merchants (gunshows and not) I buy from are face to face, be it guns, dive gear, silver, whatever, known face to known face. I know they will not sell me a bad product and I am such a frequent customer, they often cut me a deal. I doubt very much that I could have that kind of relationship with any company on the Net.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I've bought several guns from the local shows over the last five-ish years, plus a couple cases of ammo, and some reloading components.  I've also sold a few guns.  I rarely see any great deals, but I do find reasonable prices on what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I've learned my lesson. Paying for parking and an entry fee, only to see the same prices on guns I see at dealers or classifieds. No thanks, not again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Gunshows shot themselves in the foot. 60% above MSRP is .
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I buy 90% on the internet. I did buy a GSG 1911 at a gunstore in Shelby, OH.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#42]
For me personally the internet has almost made gun shows obsolete, but I will stipulate it's partly because I have little interest in new model guns.  

If I did get an interest in something new I currently have 2 very fully stocked gun stores within a mile or so of my house, and neither one charges a fee to get in the door.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Where else are old men going to display their collections of outrageously priced Remington Model 11 shotguns, "rare" Winchesters and sporterized Mausers?

I drove 60 miles today to go to a gunshow in a pretty small town. I went to this show once before and saw a few decent deals. This time, I was like WTF did I waste all this gas for. Lots of overpriced Fudd guns and a few WAY overpriced AR type things. I finally found a decent Eddystone 1917 that I bought for $415. I also picked up some power tools from an out of work construction worker who had them for sale on this table.

Still, gun shows are good way to kill an hour or two. They'll carry on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#44]
A great way to make sure there is no paper trail.

Besides: As long as liberals rail against them, I will attend them.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
No, for any variety of good reasons (none having to do with jerky or beanie babies.) Some quick examples: complete lightly-used MPC bolts for $15, factory MAB P15 mag for $25, and a relatively rare Haitian-marked Mauser in a big pile of old rifles. Sometimes digging through boxes yields some good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Hardly; some people will still go to shows (myself included) to see products in person, inspect them, handle them and haggle more closely than what you would do on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A great way to make sure there is no paper trail.

Besides: As long as liberals rail against them, I will attend them.

A lot of the dealers at the gun shows in my area are FFL's. The same paper trail exists with those guys as in their shops. There are plenty of nonlicensed sellers, though. The guy I bought from today wasn't all that happy when I told him I had to have a name, address, etc. . . .
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Not quite, but close.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish they would stock more of the high end optics at gun shows, that's something I would like to see.  It'd be nice to actually get to look through an example of what you are going to be buying before pulling the trigger as they say.  But they just don't hardly have any optics or acessories, probably because it's way cheaper to get those things online.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I can get stuff at gunshows with no S&H.

I can get stuff online without having to pay a gas/parking/and entrance fee.

Touche, but I drive a good mileage car and parking is free.

All around it is cheaper than a hazmat fee and shipping for the amount of ammo I get.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top