Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2002 6:54:43 PM EDT
[url]http://www.thedenverchannel.com/den/news/stories/news-145338720020511-210515.html[/url]

"The missing gun is a Colt AR 15, described by police as a powerful and potentially dangerous tactical rifle often used by SWAT officers and only given to a small number of officers on the force."

We should force the police to carry less dangerous weapons, like the FAL, M1A, or Barrett semiauto.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, the prices for LEO only ARs are that expensive.[:O]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it had a lot of goodies on it
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Also stolen were two magazines holding between 40 and 80 rounds of ammunition and the gun case, police said.

--What, they don't know the size of their mags?  lol

"There is significantly more power in an AR 15 than a regular handgun," said John White, Denver Police spokesman

--now an AR is a handgun?  just not a "regular" one?

The AR 15 is considered to be a specialized weapon that could be potentially hazardous in the hands of an untrained person, police said.

--personally, i'd rather have an untrained person trying to shoot at me  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah crap!

I didn't know my AR-15 was more powerful than a handgun.  Damn.  What the hell am I going to do with it now?  I mean, something like that "could be potentially hazardous in the hands of an untrained person".  Better get myself trained before I blow off my foot, or something.

Hum, wonder what that hole is in the end of that long metal thingie?

Hey, any of you boys know how to use an AR-15?
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

i saw one on the internet one time[:D]
View Quote

I heard that they can shoot off like a hundred rounds a second, shoot through 4 guys wearing body armor, plus they make the owner want to shoot innocent people and babies.

We're all in big trouble if there is really one of these things out there on the street.  I'm going to go lock my front door now and then go hide in my attic.  Let me know when they find it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Man its not a Colt, Its a olympic arms and it keeps jamming and he should of shut the trunk, It is such a piece of sh*t I wish I could return it.
GG
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
These guys are funny.    Those evil AR-15s in the hands of the cops.  Is this guilt by association or are they now the good guns?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
That $2,000 reward will get you two Bushmasters and a case of South African FMJs! [;D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If you find it, be careful.  I've heard that they fire a bullet FOR EVERY PULL OF THE TRIGGER!!!  [:O]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Missing for 7 hours from the trunk of a trained Leo??

SNIFF......SNIFF.....SNIFF

Something aint right here, inside job???

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh my! 1 bullet for every pull of the trigger? Things like this should be banned. I think you should have to do a combination of key turns and trigger pulls to fire it. And so it doesnt look all evil maybe it should shoot flowers and have a button instead of a trigger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#14]
He should be fired!
I work in a fairly secure enviroment.
Everytime that I leave my vehicle I lock the doors. My weapon (HK G41) is in a locked rack to boot.
IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
The article in question must be viewed in the context of the audience it intends to address. That is, the cloistered, non-shooting/evil-black-gun-fearing, skulls-full-O-mush readers that haven't the slightest clue about firearms, and whom seem to share a common opinion that the law is a phenomenon unto itself, rather than a codification of some greater/higher sense of a moral consciousness (And don't ask how the law ever came into being in the 1st place). This, in concert w/ writers who fall into the same category - except that they get paid to publish & profer their opinions as fact to said general public - guarantees the type hyperbolie that is common currency in modern rags.

C'est la vie.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That $2,000 reward will get you two Bushmasters and a case of South African FMJs! [;D]
View Quote

Shoot, for $2000 I'll send them mine and then buy a pre-ban and a post ban for myself.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#17]
This happened here in the Valley of the Sun suburb of Glendale,AZ. Swat officer left his MP5 in his trunk, when he got home. Next morning  he found someone broke had into his car and stole his MP5.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"The missing gun is a Colt AR 15, described by police as a powerful and potentially dangerous tactical rifle often used by SWAT officers and only given to a small number of officers on the force."
View Quote

RANT ON:
Mine is a [b]Rock River Arms AR15[/b], described by [b]me[/b] as a powerful and potentially dangerous (in the hands of the wrong person) semi-auto carbine often used by [b]me[/b](OFF-DUTY of course) and paid for by [b]me[/b] because the NYPD doesn't trust ANY officer with ANY firearm, and if you are lucky enough(super hook) to get on a particular detail which allows you a long arm, you'll get the mighty [b][red]Ruger Mini-14![/b][/red]
RANT OFF:
We should force the police to carry less dangerous weapons, like the FAL, M1A, or Barrett semiauto.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Consider me first on line for an M1A please!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you find it, be careful.  I've heard that they fire a bullet FOR EVERY PULL OF THE TRIGGER!!!  [:O]
View Quote

Damn, I've got several pistols and rifles that do the same thing.  Dare I touch them?  Maybe I should call the fire department.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#20]
The AR 15 is considered to be a specialized weapon that could be potentially hazardous in the hands of an untrained person, police said.
View Quote

OMG! What if some untrained freak has this rifle? WHAT DO WE DO NOW!?[shock]
I mean, it's specialized and everything! Now I'm pissed.[pissed] I have one and I don't think mine is specialized.

coyote3
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Man its not a Colt, Its a olympic arms and it keeps jamming and he should of shut the trunk, It is such a piece of sh*t I wish I could return it.
GG
View Quote
Oly's Jam?  Nah!  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm first for the Barrett!  You can run, but you can't hide.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#23]
the guns are only given to a small number of officers, but anyone can go to the gun store and buy one right now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm betting that DaveLasso did it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Some one stole two police shotguns here in Tulsa about 2 weeks ago.  I thought the they kept these things locked.   MAYBE they should put trigger locks on them to keep unautorized people from using them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some one stole two police shotguns here in Tulsa about 2 weeks ago.  I thought the they kept these things locked.   MAYBE they should put trigger locks on them to keep unautorized people from using them.
View Quote

Yeah.  It's for the children.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#27]
The serial number of the gun is 8777, in case anyone cares :)
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ah crap!

Hum, wonder what that hole is in the end of that long metal thingie?

View Quote

Betcha' yew can git one of them thar "mall ninja's" to sho' yew how it works???
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, some kids around here got into a cop car in the cop's driveway, which the cop brilliantly left unlocked, and got a Mini 14, a tac vest, and a "pepperball gun."  This thing is a paintball gun cops use to fire OC-filled paintballs.  The kids then robbed a Circle K with the pepperball gun and shot the clerk with it.  Good thing they didn't use the Mini.

"Take guns away from the cops.  For the children."
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#30]
he should have had one of these:

[img]http://www.pro-gard.com/grafx/g5010ar5.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm betting that DaveLasso did it.
View Quote

I saw some of his posts before i signed up, he was a nut.

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#32]
just saw an ad on EBlay.con, where a guy wants to sell an AR-15
cal: .223 Rem.
Model: Police Only

Qualified operators only need apply !!!!!! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
There were a couple of auto-break-ins not long ago, here in N. Texas. Cops would park their personal vehicles at restarants, and their toys would be stolen while they were eating.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, I've got several pistols and rifles that do the same thing.  Dare I touch them?  Maybe I should call the fire department.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Put the phone down. Firemen don't know how to handle these things.  Hold on while I get you the address of my FFL, so we can assure you of their safe, um, disposition.  Send the ammo separately, please. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
he should have had one of these:

[img]http://www.pro-gard.com/grafx/g5010ar5.jpg[/img]
View Quote

A 300 dollar gun rack, right up there with the 86 dollar toilet seat...
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#36]
you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh nuts, they're "specialized" and "shoot a bullet each time you pull the trigger"?

Damn it.  Mine's not that specialized!  Mine will only fire a bullet if I load it, charge it then pull the trigger.

These special issue AR-15 thingies are sounding better all the time.  Glad I got me one.  Now to get trained so I can tighten up my 1.5 inch groups, before I get dangerous or something!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Question: Would a normal citizen get charged with anything for having a firearm stolen from his/her car?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, Hell, maybe I should take my old beatup ASA AR15 to the DPD and swap them for the $2000.  Good deal for everyone, right?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, the lost AR turned up and is fine.
A teenage girl heard a bang and a crush, as a car started in front of her house, and found the black rifle pretty much in the gutter. Happened right in front of the house where the parked police cruiser was parked, when the gun was "stolen". The girl hid it at a playground, and later handed it to her mother, who in turn called the police.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
[img]http://images.ibsys.com/2002/0512/1453468.gif[/img]

He he, they can't even get their rifles straight.  The pic provided appears to be a AR10T, not sure if it is an Armalite, but definitely a .308.  So would that still make it a 'powerful and potentially dangerous tactical rifle'???
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#42]
It was found.

[url]http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E608105%257E,00.html[/url]

This lady sure is doing a lot of fast explaining.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#43]
City Councilman Ed Thomas, a retired officer, likened the incident to the former "Andy Griffith Show" on television, in which Deputy Barney Fife had to keep his single bullet in his shirt pocket to keep from having accidents.

"Andy had to take the bullet away from Barney, and that may be the case here, too," Thomas said. "It could have been a real tragedy, and the department is lucky."
View Quote

That's classic.  At least we're not the only ones who recognize the idiocy in all of this.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#44]
My wife had to endure my rant as I listened to the news story on this one.

She said if it wasn't for my knowledge, she would have thought that this horrible machine gun weapon that could shoot through engine blocks had been stolen. (And not even full auto!)

Thanks to KMGH Channel 7, Denver for your sensationalist reporting.

regards,

legrue
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]
MarkM
The shotguns in Tulsa were in one of those racks.  They busted out the windows in the 2 cruisers and got one rack open.  On the other crusier they took the rack and the shotgun.  It was on the news last night. Crimestoppers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Did any one catch the little drawing in the denver post article.  It said the AR-15 had a 600 - 900 round per minute rate of fire.  Now how'd they do that.  You gotta have a fast finger and be able to change mags awfully fast.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Question: Would a normal citizen get charged with anything for having a firearm stolen from his/her car?
View Quote
Not in AZ.  I had a Government model stolen from my jeep; it was recovered and returned in less than a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top