Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/12/2011 8:28:07 AM EDT
I always when I see the signs at a gunshop that advertise EMS/FF discounts.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Cause nurses don't have to shoot people on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Politics....

Not because any companies really give a shit...it comes down to $$
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you ever seen some of the places that EMS/FF get called to?

I honestly think that all first responders should be armed in some manner.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Who the hell are your EMS/FFers shooting?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]
because they are women

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#7]
they are first responders...

heros in the minds of many,,

if thats justified or not..  is not the issue here..

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It's just not fair! Somebody should make these businesses give discounts to everyone who wears scrubs! Or...wait...everyone who has anything to do with the medical field! Yeah...that's it!

Do it out of fairness!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you ask the shop?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Women don't use guns.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Perhaps because they generally aren't running into burning buildings, risking their own lives to save others.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps because they generally aren't running into burning buildings, risking their own lives to save others.

Never had to jump on a HIV/Hep B addict in the ER have you?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as the discounts on firearms for police/fire/ems go, I believe that usually has more to do with a federal exemption from the federal excise tax on firearm sales that exist for first responders.  I'm guessing nurses aren't listed as one of those exemptions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they are not cops, they are not issued nor trained in firearms.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Cause FF/EMS is more tacticool
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
First responders != Nurses

But seriously, only LEOs are professional enough to shoot themselves in the ass carry firearms.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I see this thread having a high potential for a downward spiral.

In!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Well lots of those shops do sell stuff a first responder can use, ie. Hooligan tools, glass breakers, first add packs gloves, ppe, suff like that.  Any firearm should not get a discount.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some EMS/FF could respond here:  Are you allowed to carry a firearm while working?  I suppose it varies by employer, but I had the impression most are not permitted to do so.
So a discount for firearms has nothing to do with carrying out their duties; which is why I joked about nurses not shooting people as part of their job (as if EMS/FF did so routinely)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's face it, emptying bed pans and foley bags just isn't that dangerous.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I think this is a low self esteem thread. Someone just doesn't feel wanted. What we need is some Calgon to take us away...

But for reals...what kind of faggotry is going on in this thread?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
because they are women

No I'm not.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Nurses who are also firefighters/EMTs would qualify.  Just sayin'.

Sadly, my local funshops do not offer discounts...

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Why don't they give discounts to doctors too? Is it because most of us are rich, cocky pieces of shit?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe some EMS/FF could respond here:  Are you allowed to carry a firearm while working?  I suppose it varies by employer, but I had the impression most are not permitted to do so.

So a discount for firearms has nothing to do with carrying out their duties; which is why I joked about nurses not shooting people as part of their job (as if EMS/FF did so routinely)
Only the Fire Marshals are allowed to pack heat on duty where I work, and I would imagine that there are very places that allow otherwise for liability purposes.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#26]
first responders
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Have you ever seen some of the places that EMS/FF get called to?

I honestly think that all first responders should be armed in some manner.

Come work in my ER on a Saturday night.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As far as the discounts on firearms for police/fire/ems go, I believe that usually has more to do with a federal exemption from the federal excise tax on firearm sales that exist for first responders.  I'm guessing nurses aren't listed as one of those exemptions.

Neither are LE/FF/EMS.

Only the actual agency is exempt from the excise tax.

And most firearm discounts arent through the gun shop but from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Why not Plumbers, Electricitians, Insurance Agents... WTF?  OP should be happy that anyone gets a discount, even if it's not him
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#30]
How about us service techs who get called out at two or three in the morning to very bad areas of town to work in hidden dark locations all by our lonesome.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well lots of those shops do sell stuff a first responder can use, ie. Hooligan tools, glass breakers, first add packs gloves, ppe, suff like that.  Any firearm should not get a discount.

Halligan, dammit!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Certain groups only get discount trying to bring them to a business, since one business does it, a similar one has to do it as well to be more competitive. (or some business owner just has a soft spot for people in certain lines of work)

I see no reason EMS/FF should be lumped in with police for discounts of firearms, but.. I think the above line applies.
Mil, Police, FF, EMS get discounts, but the Defense contractors who make the superior tools/weapons, the Doctors who drive the medical advancement and the nurses who do the care and work dont get shit.
Its funny to me how so many fall all over themselves to praise a few who do an important job and there is no mention of some real heavy hitters... except some contempt for the evil defense and medical industry...
little praise for the minds who invent, create, advance tools and processes or sciences..etc.. and we make heroes of the users of tools.
I wonder if it is related to class envy....
edit- not that I am suggesting anyone should or should not have a discount or that the word "need" should appear anywhere in relation to discount, just a lingering observation that this thread brought to my attention... Also, arent police, firefighters, EMS, etc... all issued gear by the department or emplpyer? if they had to purcahase something wouldnt it be a write off or reimbursed?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I think it's because EMF FF and EMT are considered "public servants".
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Halligan, dammit!

That leads me to another question along the same lines. Why don't hooligans get discounts?

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Because Gaylord Fockers make way more $.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither are LE/FF/EMS.

Only the actual agency is exempt from the excise tax.

And most firearm discounts arent through the gun shop but from the manufacturer.

Ahh didn't realize that ... I knew it was from the manufacturer, but I thought the discount came from no fet.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I've never actually gotten an LE discount at any gun store I've been to.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#37]
well i am guessing it has something to do with respect , emergency service workers preety much put themselves in harms way on a regular basis to make sure me and women they have never meet make it home to their

families, not to knock on what a nurse does but really when was the last time you saw a nurse crawling through a building that was on fire searching for someones loved one or have you ever seen a nurse start an i.v. in a car

flipped upside down in a ditch while trying to make sure he (or she) or their patient didn't drown while waiting for someone to cut open the car. i know that 12 hour shifts in an emergency room can get rough , always getting your

lunch break and working in a dry well lighted environment can be hard on anyone. fireman cops and ems professionals give their lives almost daily for the same people that sit around and bitch about them getting discounts on guns

coffee and pizza how , maybe next time 411 people who share your chosen profession all die at roughly the same time on an early september morning  someone will find it in their hearts  to let you save a few bucks on your next

firearm or cup of coffee
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halligan, dammit!

But Hooligans use it, therefore, its a Hooligan tool.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

well i am guessing it has something to do with respect , emergency service workers preety much put themselves in harms way on a regular basis to make sure me and women they have never meet make it home to their

families, not to knock on what a nurse does but really when was the last time you saw a nurse crawling through a building that was on fire searching for someones loved one or have you ever seen a nurse start an i.v. in a car

flipped upside down in a ditch while trying to make sure he (or she) or their patient didn't drown while waiting for someone to cut open the car. i know that 12 hour shifts in an emergency room can get rough , always getting your

lunch break and working in a dry well lighted environment can be hard on anyone. fireman cops and ems professionals give their lives almost daily for the same people that sit around and bitch about them getting discounts on guns

coffee and pizza how , maybe next time 411 people who share your chosen profession all die at roughly the same time on an early september morning  someone will find it in their hearts  to let you save a few bucks on your next

firearm or cup of coffee
Nobody is saying these people deserve any less respect, but lets be realistic while we are at it with all the praise.

I did not see anyone bitching either, just trying to make sense or logic of it.

They have the job they do because they want it, or because they settled for it, just like everyone else.

They are no more an important link in the chain of saving a life than the people working at the hospitals they deliver the wounded/injured to.

those firefighters died victims of the same catastrophe as everyone else who died doing their job or whatever they were doing at the time. Had they known what was going to happen they would not have gone in, it was not a mass suicide, it was murder.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because we aren't all tactical and all that shizzle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've never seen an EMT person ever carry a gun on duty so they don't shoot people all day either.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Halligan, dammit!

Auto spell correction

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#43]
S.W.A.G.: RNs aren't first responders.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's not all we do there skippy and if that is really how you feel about nursing maybe you should try to shadow somwone on a med/surg unit or in the Er for a 12 hour shift.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#45]
There are other perks...Ask an RN/LVN/GVN the last time she (or he) got a traffic ticket? Nurses/FF/EMS and teachers (remember this is TX) rarely receive tickets here for minor traffic offenses...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Nurses: controlled work environment
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Being a first responder is much different than working in a building. Not dissing the profession by any means, but as a Wildland Firefighter Hotshot , you really get put into the shit sometimes.......I.E. Life threatening situations. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Figure this one out...

The gym I belong to offers a membership discount to employee's of the V.A., yet they don't offer a discount to military members or veterans.  I asked one of the membership dweebs why they offer a discount to the people taking care of military members, yet not to the actual military themselves. I'll give him credit for telling me that he doesn't make the rules, but if he did, military and vets would get free membership.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top