Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 3:15:32 PM EDT
Just think about this for a second… what if everyone soldier was issued two BataC clip instead of six 30 round clips.  They would have a little more ammunition however a few problems could arise.  Its true a soldier would have to reload less but when they do they only have on more magazine left, and if they were to damage that other magazine, they would have lost half of there ammunition supply.  

There are advantages to using the BataC over having three 30 round clips, however there seams to be more disadvantages to having a BataC over three 30 round clips… what do you guys think?
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There is more to combat then not running out of ammo. Mobility and the ability to aim are 2 things that are compromised when using Beta mags.
Also beta mags cost much more and require more maintainence.
Betas are not gonna give you much of an advantage except when using full auto which soldiers do not use very often anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:18:25 PM EDT
[#5]
1) Forget stealth, Beta C's rattle.
2) If round 28 jams, the reast are stuck until you have time to deal with it.  With USGI mags, if round 28 get's stuck, you pop out the mag and load in the second 30 rounds.
3) Heavier weapon.
4) sleeker carrying.  10 USGI mags are easier to carry that 3 beta C's.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
1) Forget stealth, Beta C's rattle.
2) If round 28 jams, the reast are stuck until you have time to deal with it.  With USGI mags, if round 28 get's stuck, you pop out the mag and load in the second 30 rounds.
3) Heavier weapon.
4) sleeker carrying.  10 USGI mags are easier to carry that 3 beta C's.
View Quote

Yep. If you're trying to be quiet, you don't want a loaded C-Mag anywhere around you. Might as well hang bells off your LBE.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
If they could redesign the BataC so that the magazine was behind the pistol grip so that it’s increased weight had less impact on the soldier, eliminated the rattling sound, streamlined the profile of the BataC so that it now was within the same profile of an M16A2 with a USGI30 magazine and simplified the mechanism of the BataC so that it was less prone to failure would this new BataC/M16 setup be suitable for combat use?

It would be like having a complete squad armed with SAWs instead of just M16s.  I don’t know if this would be a good thing or not, but at least the men and women that served in such a unit would have a tremendous firepower advantage against any adversary they encountered.  
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#9]
    Give Joe a couple of hundred rounders and his basic load would need replenished after every contact. Many soldiers would burn thru a C-mag pretty quickly. Having "just" 30 rounds makes one keep track of his rounds a bit more.
    We had C mags issued a while back, but they were given to the SAW gunners to replace the hundred round "nutsacks". They were issued without any instuctions or training  and , holy crap, no one could get 'em to work. Big surprise. They were also thinking they would be used on training using blanks, when a SAW usually won't feed blanks out of a M16 mag.
   I would actually like to see one or two C mags issued to say, one man per team(M4), as in  one well trained and disciplined man, it would make for good sustained fire while others manuevered(sp)
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless your defending you home(castle-fort)How much ammo do you want to CARRY (along with your SHTF bag ) when your on the move? There is your answer!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I would want to think what you meant to say is can I have so much Ammo that i should think about how i have it stored that it does not become a problem to fire-fighters and my neighbors in the advent of a house fire when I am away from my abode!

Hell Iv'e got lots of ammo by the front door so I can drag it out quick ,but what if I'm not there?   I don't have a cellar so don't know where I can safely stash it.  

Just living dangerously now, how about you?

Bob       [8D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But, but, but, . . . they're [b]fun[/b], and I have waaaay more fun than combat.  [BD]

Edited to add . . . thanks to the tremendous blessing of having the good fortune to be born in the United States of America, with its inherent wonderful life and lifestyle, and with due credit to our Veterans, who gave me my freedom.  [beer]

I second this motion.

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Weight being a major factor in the battlefield, the Beta C is not the better choice. I think that they weigh 2.5 Lbs empty. That is a lot of 30 round mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top