Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2011 7:53:55 AM EDT
Need some advice on how to fight a collection agency on a credit report entry.

The collection stems from a visit to a dentist in CA back in May of 2009.  The dentist was covered by my insurance but apparently some of the procedures that he performed were not (despite the office getting authorization, which may or may not have happened).   I never actually received anything from the dentist's office and only learned of the collection when viewing my credit report.  My score has dropped 77 points because of this.  The balance is about $550.

Any advice on how to clean this up and get it off my report?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Pay for services rendered?

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Pay it
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay for services rendered?

Two problems with that.

1st I don't think that will remove a mark on the credit report.  2nd, when the office says a procedure is covered and they "call" to confirm then I expect it to be covered.  It turns out that although the office "called"  the insurance company does not have any record of inquiry
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You could just mail them back the tooth.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Go live in the woods, take your AR.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The collection stems from a visit to a dentist in CA back in May of 2009.  The dentist was covered by my insurance but apparently some of the procedures that he performed were not (despite the office getting authorization, which may or may not have happened).   I never actually received anything from the dentist's office and only learned of the collection when viewing my credit report.  My score has dropped 77 points because of this.  The balance is about $550.

Contest with the  Credit Bureaus. The collection agency will have to prove that the debt is yours (most often, they cannot), or they will have to remove the entry from your credit report.

Paying up is also an option.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Head on down to the courthouse and file a Small Claims suit.  Its much easier to settle for that amount than pay an attorney to go to court and fight it.

EDIT:  Part of your claim request could be to remove it from your credit file.  Its not hard to have something removed from your credit file.  You just have to know how to do it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the only way to fix your credit score dropping is waiting 7 years. You could try to appeal to the credit scoring company.  However, it isn't easy to deal with them.

I had an issue 10 years ago when I decided to get 10% off my bill by applying for a store cc. My credit was perfect at the time. I never got the card. It was shipped to someone else and they charged a bunch of stuff. And then collections came after me. I went round and round with the store, with the credit score company, and ultimately I just had to wait it out. Finally my credit score is back up 800+.

It totally sucks. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#10]
There are legal ways to add comments to your credit report as well as notifying the creditor that they need to make corrections if they are in error.  It's a lot of mail-in bs but you can get that cleaned up.  Of course if the bill is legitimate, I'm sure the creditor will want what they were promised first.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Pay your bill then contact the agency to have it removed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#12]
This is not unusual. Especially if your dental insurance provider is MetLife. I know my dentist has called for approval on things which later disappear and they "lose" payment requests all the time. I would suspect my dentist, but coworkers that go to other dentists share similar stories.

Regardless, the fine print of all the stuff the dentist has you sign say you are responsible to pay if the insurance provider doesn't, so you really should pay him.

Tell him you will send the balance if he will have the credit score entry removed. His office mgr should be able to arrange that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:
If it is from a Collections Agency, you may be able to get the claim dropped as a HIPPA violation (see the above website and spend some time there).   You can also dispute the claim.   You can pay it to the Collections Agency under the conditions that the collection is dropped from your credit report.   (Learned that from a little bit of time perusing the boards over there...lots of good info).

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

First step is to file a dispute with the credit bureaus, on the basis that you were never notified of the debt.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I recently had a problem with a collections agency. When I deployed a few years ago, I suspended my cell service via deployment orders.  That's fairly usual for a military guy going on deployment.  Well, when I got back, I continued my service.

After my contract was up, I switched carriers. Then I moved back home to NH when I ETS'd. I recently tried to add a line to my new carrier, and they told me I couldn't due to an outstanding debt.

Apparently, when I suspended my contract, they simply terminated the contract, sticking me with a huge early termination fee. I was tired of the bullshit, and wanted it off my credit report, so I settled with them. It's off my credit report now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Paying it will not remove it from your report, but a collection that has been paid scores a lot higher than one that is still outstanding.  Go ahead and pay it off, that is the best thing you can do for your credit score.

Not necessarily true.  Some collection agencies will remove a paid collection item from your report.
I found out I had a collection against me for some late fees that I never got the chance to pay when Hollywood Video closed.  I was never notified, but it was around 200 bucks with interest and various charges (the original late fee was like $20).
I called the collection agency and said look, I can and will dispute this, but it's easier to just pay it.  I will pay it right now if you will remove it from my report.  I specified that it needed to be removed, not just marked "paid."  They agreed and told me to check my credit report 30 days later.  I did and it's gone.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Your objective is to fix your credit.  Pay the bill.  Have the creditor notify the credit agency.  That's all you can do.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Tell the dentist office to submit the claim to the insurance again. I've had to do that a few times.
It never went to collections, but telling the doctors office to resubmit the claim normally clears up any discrepancy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Close.  Offer to pay it for them to delete the entry.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:

If it is from a Collections Agency, you may be able to get the claim dropped as a HIPPA violation (see the above website and spend some time there).   You can also dispute the claim.   You can pay it to the Collections Agency under the conditions that the collection is dropped from your credit report.   (Learned that from a little bit of time perusing the boards over there...lots of good info).

AFARR

THIS.

Go to creditboards; they have step by step guides on how to accomplish this sort of thing.

Don't waste your time here in GD w/ this question.
Speed

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Get all 3 credit reports.
Dispute the debt
See where you stand at that point
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#22]
The doctor's office was sending bills to the wrong city and they kept getting returned to their office.  I just had them fax over the pation info paper work that I fille out and the address I provided is correct.  It seems that someone had a hard time reading the zipcode and put in the wrong digit into their system.  I just filed a dispute with experian...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close.  Offer to pay it for them to delete the entry.

The collection agency said they will not delete the entry
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]
45 is what you should blade at
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#25]
45 is what you should blade at
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#26]
clark howard.com

guy is always talking a good game. Sure he could halp!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:

AFARR

THIS.

Go to creditboards; they have step by step guides on how to accomplish this sort of thing.
Don't waste your time here in GD w/ this question.

Speed

These guys are right. That was gonna be my answer as well. Junk debt purchasers are scum, fight them back just for the way they try to screw people.
The consensus gd moral highroad "pay it off" doesn't count for much.. it's YOUR score. Plus all the rules change when jdb's become involved.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:

AFARR

Looked at this site, nothing there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Our ancestors would have sacked the collection agency and fed 'em to lions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think the only way to fix your credit score dropping is waiting 7 years. You could try to appeal to the credit scoring company.  However, it isn't easy to deal with them.

I had an issue 10 years ago when I decided to get 10% off my bill by applying for a store cc. My credit was perfect at the time. I never got the card. It was shipped to someone else and they charged a bunch of stuff. And then collections came after me. I went round and round with the store, with the credit score company, and ultimately I just had to wait it out. Finally my credit score is back up 800+.

It totally sucks. Good luck.

I'd have to think there would be a better way in that case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:

AFARR

It's on there....you might have to search for it.     Do a search on...'dispute/validation letter', 'pay for deletion', and look up your specific collection agency name.   That's a good start.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

woods is full.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

woods is full.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#34]
You can contest it... Or pay it if they agree to remove it from your report.

I had a very similar situation. I contested and they removed it because they couldn't find the signature slip or whatever. I was 17 and wasn't responsible for the bill... No shit they couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First:

www.creditboards.com

Second:

AFARR

You're kidding.

There is so much info on there it's almost overwhelming!

Try Here first:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showforum=45

Validation process explained, sample letters, case law...have at it
Speed

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top