Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/9/2011 10:49:37 AM EDT
Just developing...

Mobile-based International Shipholding Corp. handles the crew and provisions for the vessel. In the latest attack, 4 suspected pirates in a skiff approached the Maersk Alabama with a hook ladder but were rebuffed Tuesday by warning shots.

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/03/maersk_alabama_targeted_again.html

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
fool me once...
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
About f-ing time that the tankers plying those waters employed "private security" who use deadly force against pirates.  

Use of any nation's navel forces on board is, however, a non-starter under the law of the seas.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
About f-ing time that the tankers plying those waters employed "private security" who use deadly force against pirates.  

Use of any nation's navel forces on board is, however, a non-starter under the law of the seas.

Hell...setting off a few firecrackers on deck would probably scare off most pirates.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

so is piracy.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
warning shots.

Depends on how far out they were, if by 600 yards they're 'dialing' in I think that's a reasonable approach. At least they had something to use for 'warning shots.' Why every port in Somalia isn't a burning heap is beyond me, hell part of me secretly hopes the next ship the pirates hijack and kill the crew turns out to be a Chinese or Russian flagged. At least we'd get to see some pirate shark-food made then.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#7]
time to arm todays merchant vessels like 200 years ago.

so what would be the equivalent to 8-12lb'er guns?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
warning shots.

no shit
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
You would think that any ship going to that area would have a half dozen semi auto AK's available. Or even pump shotguns with slugs and buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Sure as fuck isn't the first time, sure as fuck won't be the last!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Could we just use Q-boats?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Mk. 38 mod 0 or mod 2 25mm guns

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Warning shots have been SOP for maritime operations for a LONG time.

The pirates typically like to attack during calm seas, which is a plus for those security crew in terms of a shooting stability.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
It's amazing what firearms in hte hands of the good guys can accomplish for peace and safety.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blackpowder cannons would be more fun.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blackpowder cannons would be more fun.  

Ok, then we should go with 12 pounders loaded with double canister!

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#19]
How many armed Predators would it take to sink every Somali pirate "mothership"
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ok, then we should go with 12 pounders loaded with double canister frozen hams and lard-dipped canister shot!

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#21]
A directed microwave weapon would be the ticket.  Let the ocean boil them alive.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Pass The Ammunition!

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so is piracy.

Well then you could complain about the pirates' disregard for international law to the Somali government . . . - er, wait, what government?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's amazing what firearms in hte hands of the good guys can accomplish for peace and safety.

It's just too bad they were warning shots and not head shots.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Roll Tide!

I wonder what kind of security they are running.

Wonder how much the pay is?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#26]
A large ship has to provide a MUCH more stable shooting platform than those little dhows... particularly in rougher seas.

Hitting them before they can hit you should be a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My navel has a fleet of 20 ships, including an aircraft carrier and 4 nuclear attack submarines

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Miniguns????

Or mortars/rpgs?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so is piracy.

Well then you could complain about the pirates' disregard for international law to the Somali government . . . - er, wait, what government?

I'm pretty sure that a "kill 'em all" approach is still considered a-ok when it comes to piracy.

Nobody has the stones to actually do it, though (okay, except the Russians.)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My navel has a fleet of 20 ships, including an aircraft carrier and 4 nuclear attack submarines

Yes. But your navel forces are NOT on board commercial vessels.  

We also have navel forces on ships in that area.  When they can, they intervene against pirates.  Our navel vessels are ships of war.  The distinction between commercial vessels and ships of war is crucial.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

40mm Pom=Pom Twin Mounts maybe????
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Warning shots eh?

Oh but guns won't solve anything, right?

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We also have navel forces on ships in that area.  When they can, they intervene against pirates.  Our navel vessels are ships of war.  The distinction between commercial vessels and ships of war is crucial.

A navel vessel wouldn't need to be very big

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.

Yep.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

i hear it has to be the size of a bellybutton at the least...

but naval vessels... well... they are absolute behemoths

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, I was having so much fun

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell...setting off a few firecrackers on deck would probably scare off most pirates.

I sucking chest wound would be better......
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking party pooper

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys have powerful belly buttons
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Belly buttons FTW!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
warning shots.

no shit

Don't get too bent out of shape over it.

This may just be PR speak for missed shots.  One can hope.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#44]
My solution...

Pirate repellent - made in Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Um, why?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Which UNCLOS Article is that?

UNCLOS talks about warships being the only ones to arrest pirates.  doesn't say anything about shipriders for self defense.

It's not a good idea though.  Too many ships, not enough people to go around, or platforms to get them there and pick them back up, or food, or berthing, or any number of other things.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Because LOST is as fucked up a document as any ever written by the hand of man.

My version of warning shots is fired at the Central T,  a T-shaped region drawn between the eyes and

centrally running down the neck.

The first dead pirate is adequate warning for the rest of them to back off and go fishing.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking party pooper

nevermind i misquoted so uhh...

you could always move to a maritime province and have you own navel force?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

if it makes you feel any better i think cbr900s are gorgeous bikes :D

I'm a Ducati man myself

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Freighters need more Quad .50

Sure it isn't the fanciest gun, but damnit is it a sexy contraption.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top