Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2011 11:07:01 AM EDT
Only $179 at AT&T. Fo or no Fo? I have never had a smart phone though I am considering this for my fist. I will probably stick with AT&T due to the GF being on the network. Being a refurb is a little concerning and it seems that most of the insurance/extended warranty plans are worthless or overpriced.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
HELL, I can get the NEW iPhone 4G for $199, why cheap out on $20?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

32g?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I both got refurb 3G 8GB iphones almost 3 years ago. No problem with them at all. Obviously they're slow as shit now, but so are any 3G's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
This is with a contract, right? Refurbs generally get tested more thoroughly than off the shelf. 32g for $179 is good.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

32g?

Yeah, that's a really good deal.  Fo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I fo'd. Otterbox Defender otw as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Otterbox Defender as well, but the silcone is wearing loose around the ports. These just came out and look sweet. I'm thinking about getting the green one.

Here's the link http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/survivor-iphone4
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Ballistic box
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell yes get that.

Refurb is usually a good deal. Full warranty like new, minus new cost.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I am thinking about getting a window mount as well. It seems there aren't a lot of decent solutions out there when the phone is in the case.

This one may be worth a try.
http://www.amazon.com/SlipGrip-Holder-iPhone-OtterBox-Defender/dp/B0045XA4V8/ref=sr_1_39?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1299622609&sr=1-39
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

Warranty is only 90 days.

ETA: I already have one otw, posted earlier.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yes get that.

I am talking about getting Apple Care on it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

I thought they didn't really cover much?

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

Check out SquareTrade Warranties Link. Better warranty than anything out there since it will replace against accidental damage. My next iOS devices will get them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

Check out SquareTrade Warranties Link. Better warranty than anything out there since it will replace against accidental damage. My next iOS devices will get them.

If something happens it's still $150 with their deal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

Ok so get Applecare for $70 and be hung out to dry for the full price of the device when you drop it in water. Are you really that cheap to not spend an extra $30 to get full coverage on a refurbished unit that has a 90 day warranty?

ETA: I've had my dealings with Applecare on 2 different occasions and they will look for any possible reason to deny a hardware/software claim. I was given a refurbished 3G when my original 3G's silent switch on the side broke off. Two months later I was transferring files and when I touched the outside I got shocked hardcore. After going in circles with Applecare they finally let me take it into a store for replacement. On the phone I could tell they were convinced that I had dropped it in water or something to cause the damage and therefore the electrical shock.

When I took it into the apple store the techs took about 20 mins taking the phone apart trying to find fault with me so they could deny the claim. Of course they found nothing because I was telling the truth and they replaced the phone.

My point is do you really want to dick with Applecare when there's a better option out there for a marginal increase in price?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I always buy refurb when buying apple products... they cover them the same as if they were off the shelf. and you can get apple care witch will extend the coverage.
last month I went to apple to get a battery replaced on a laptop (laptop is 3 years old and they replaced it for free) there was a guy there that was with his friend who was having a repair done. The friend casualy joked with the apple tech about fixing his broken glass on his 3g iphone, the tech took his phone and replaced the glass for free.

apple often (not always but more often than not) will go out of their way to take care of the customer.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yes get that.

Ok so get Applecare for $70 and be hung out to dry for the full price of the device when you drop it in water. Are you really that cheap to not spend an extra $30 to get full coverage on a refurbished unit that has a 90 day warranty?

ETA: I've had my dealings with Applecare on 2 different occasions and they will look for any possible reason to deny a hardware/software claim. I was given a refurbished 3G when my original 3G's silent switch on the side broke off. Two months later I was transferring files and when I touched the outside I got shocked hardcore. After going in circles with Applecare they finally let me take it into a store for replacement. On the phone I could tell they were convinced that I had dropped it in water or something to cause the damage and therefore the electrical shock.

When I took it into the apple store the techs took about 20 mins taking the phone apart trying to find fault with me so they could deny the claim. Of course they found nothing because I was telling the truth and they replaced the phone.

My point is do you really want to dick with Applecare when there's a better option out there for a marginal increase in price?

They have always covered everything I sent them aside from neglect, and I have dealt with AC for 14 years.

Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have the Otterbox Defender as well, but the silcone is wearing loose around the ports. These just came out and look sweet. I'm thinking about getting the green one.

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SurvivorCase.png

I have the black one, and it is pretty freaking sweet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

I totally disagree 100% with you on Apple Care. As a MacBook Pro owner I've had two batteries replaced and something else done on the motherboard. Did not cost me one penny and this is a MacBook Pro that is four years old.

I will always, always, always have Apple Care on any Apple product I own. They will go out of their way to make sure you are 100% happy. I love my Apple Store.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:06:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell yes get that.

I never said I wasn't getting coverage or one over the other I'm just trying to weigh my options along with the pro's and con's of my options.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#22]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:48:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Just ordered a set of Motorola S305's bluetooth headphones for the gym. Hopefully they will be trouble free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

http://cultofmac.cultofmaccom.netdna-cdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SurvivorCase.png

I just ordered the OD one.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#25]
This is OT since not Apple Care, but is is Apple warranty related.  We took our daughter's Ipod Touch in 1 week before the warranty expired for a problem she'd been having with it.  They replace it no questions asked.  Apple does have good customer service.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bad ass

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I got the 16G for $99 today - had the upgrade credit with Vz.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd be wary of a phone that had to be rebuilt this soon after it's release.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#29]
refurb doesn't necessarily mean rebuilt.  Some people don't like the iphone and return it.  These can't be sold as new anymore so are now refurbs. or atleast that was how it was explained to me.

I bought the 32gb 3gs refurb and have had no issues with it for the past 1.5 years.  ymmv
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd be wary of a phone that had to be rebuilt this soon after it's release.

They are returned under the 30 day trial policy and checked to make sure there are no problems. They aren't rebuilt.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I think I might have to get the igun app.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I was checking out the insurance options and found that I did damage my phone, like cracking the screen, it would only cost $199 to get a refurbished replacement through Apple. The Square Trade deal would cost me $150 for the same replacement but I will have to pay $100 up front. Hmm... I think I may just get Apple Care and not worry about the full coverage.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]
My survivor od case from griffin just came in. My phone is now the terminator. IT WILL NOT STOP UNTIL TEXT MESSAGES ARE SENT AND ALL GEOCACHES ARE FOUND.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top