Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 1:36:59 PM EDT
no insurance companies. I mean no insurance at all. No car insurance. No health/medical insurance. No homeowners insurance. No Life insurance. No insurance on your guns, oil paintings, anything of value. Absolutely no goddamn insurance anywhere for any reason.

How many less attorneys would this country have?
Would the court system be less clogged?
How would our economy be changed?
How would our lifestyle change?
Would the world be a better place or worse/chaotic?

I really hate insurance companies.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The bad thing about insurance is that you only win by losing.  What'd they do to piss you off?  Existence is enough for me...

Storytime - my granddad had been with the same insurer for PL/PD auto for FIFTY DAMN YEARS!  His first accident in 50 years was someone hitting his car in the parking lot while he was INSIDE THE DAMN STORE!  Underwriter immediately tripled his premium for no damn good reason.  He went to another company, told his story, and got his old rate back.

Things that need to happen in the insurance industry -

Leave me alone about speeding tickets - they have no bearing whatsoever on my risk as a driver. Cops get "good driver" discounts, and some of those guys driving actually scares me...

If I don't have a claim for, say, 10 years or so, suspend my premiums.  I'm not consting you any damn money, stop costing me money.  That's a "good driver" discount I could get behind.

Let me take you out for a checkride every now and then.  Actually evaluate my individual skill as a driver, and stop applying statistics to me.  Statistics can say anything you want them to!

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you ever had a wife or child that was seriously ill and needed an operation? That is why we pay the monthly bill. Hopefully we won't need it, but then we might.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Insurance totally sucks...

til you need it.                          
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
F-f-f-f-f-orget it!

Where would we be without lawyers?

Let's just say that our leader would be Tony Blair, our First Lady the Queen, and cricket would be our national pastime.

You guys owe us big time! [:D]

Oh yeah, [u]you'd[/u] still be married to that first wife of yours. You know the one with the good tooth and not an overabundance of charm or sex appeal.

Don't make me post pictures...

Eric The(LikeToBuyYourFileBack,Now?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Eric[TheFunny]Hun- I didn't say get rid of lawyers, but if insurance was never "invented" wouldn't we have much fewer of these vermin, er, excuse me, I mean professionals? [:D]

Oh, and next time you refer to my ex-wife please mention how clean and white that toof was. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Insurance is a gamble...

Every month you bet the insurance company you are going to crash, get sick, die, etc...

When you "lose" the bet (don't crash, get sick, die), you bet again the next month...

When you "win" the bet, they pay you off...

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Leave me alone about speeding tickets - they have no bearing whatsoever on my risk as a driver. Cops get "good driver" discounts, and some of those guys driving actually scares me...
View Quote

Actually, it does.  Speeding is an indicator.  You may be a safe driver (although if you are a habitual speeder I doubt it), but speeding is a risk factor.  People who get caught speeding frequently speed, they also have a far freater liklihood of being involved in accidents [b]they[/b] are liable for.

Most of the cops I've talked with state that they pay higher insurance premiums because they are on the road a lot more often, thereby increasing the liklihood of an accident.

If I don't have a claim for, say, 10 years or so, suspend my premiums.  I'm not consting you any damn money, stop costing me money.  That's a "good driver" discount I could get behind.
View Quote

Stop paying the premiums.  Insurance is just that, insurance.  You may not need it now, but when you do need it......

Let me take you out for a checkride every now and then.  Actually evaluate my individual skill as a driver, and stop applying statistics to me.  Statistics can say anything you want them to!

FFZ
View Quote

Statistics are about probabilities, and are fairly predictable.  The kind of statistics they use are published by the CDC and USDOT, as well as various state agencies.  They don't, in fact, say whatever they want them to say.  The fact that you have been tagged for speeding by the police means that you are [i]not[/i] a safe driver.  The safest drivers have consistently proven study after study to be those who obey traffic laws all the time.  

I'm not real fond of insurance companies myself.  The idea of them individually testing you is incredibly asinine.  Do you comprehend this thing called man/work hours?  The number of people any one company insures would preclude any such individual testing.  However, insurance companies do individually tailor premiums.  Frequent traffic infractions are a solid indicator of a liability problem, therefor your premiums will be higher.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Insurance was INTENDED to cover major losses that one person could not bear.  One guy I knew ran into severe health troubles and ended up in the hospital for months;  he maxed out his $1,000,000 lifetime limit on his health insurance.  This is what insurance is SUPPOSED to be about.

Unfortunately, every whiny special-interest weasel wants insurance to cover prescriptions, well-baby care, basic visits to the doctor, acupuncture, aromatherapy, aura counseling, and every other POS "new age" bit of psychobabble that gets dreamed up.  That drives up costs for the sane people as well as the insane.

Most other areas of insurance are still somewhat reasonable, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
No insurance? I'd be out of a job.

Here's a thought: If you don't like insurance, don't buy it. So what did the insurance company do to put a hair up your butt?

(I know that some states force you to buy liability insurance in order to drive. I think that's BS. If someone is worried about getting whacked by an uninsured driver, that someone should buy an uninsured driver policy.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top