Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2011 9:32:40 PM EDT
I've messed around with knife making on and off.  I'd like to make a big chopper.  Something that is utilitarian and can be used around camp as a utility blade, from making fire kindling to pounding tent stakes.

Draw me a blade/handle profile.  MS Paint, hand sketch scanned, trace an existing knife, I don't care.  The one I choose gets a bronze membership from me.  I won't put any limitations on the design such as length, since I can scale it to my liking.

If for some reason no one comes up with something that I want to make, I'll choose at random from everyone who entered a design.

ETA: Enter as many as you'd like.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
i was going to ddesign you the most awesome blade ever but theres no incentive for me, sorry.  Or mayber im drunk and full of shit, youll never know!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i was going to ddesign you the most awesome blade ever but theres no incentive for me, sorry.  Or mayber im drunk and full of shit, youll never know!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
http://i51.tinypic.com/2ijnok5.jpg

I just whipped this up in illustrator. Its a vector file so i can send you a pdf that will scale perfectly to any size. The bottom part of the handle could easily be used as a hammer. I could add some serrations if you wanted. Poor college student here, would love a membership.

Rylan
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've messed around with knife making on and off.  I'd like to make a big chopper.  Something that is utilitarian and can be used around camp as a utility blade, from making fire kindling to pounding tent stakes.
Draw me a blade/handle profile.  MS Paint, hand sketch scanned, trace an existing knife, I don't care.  The one I choose gets a bronze membership from me.  I won't put any limitations on the design such as length, since I can scale it to my liking.
If for some reason no one comes up with something that I want to make, I'll choose at random from everyone who entered a design.

Welcome to the knife making hobby! I play around a bit too. I would leave the tent stake pounding to a rock or a log. That said. What metal type and thickness are you looking at using? Maybe I can come up with something
Here is one of mine

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
here's a cool knife that my blacksmith instructor made that would be a nice chopper:

here's his website:
http://helmforge.blogspot.com/2010/03/hello-everyone.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I suuuuck at drawing... but I got an interesting idea for you.

How about a knife with a unique blade. Have the edge of the blade be of the regular large chopping variety, but have the rear of the blade be weighted. The rear of the blade should bulge out a tad to form a triangular shape with the flat edge facing back. So if you're looking down the point of the blade, it looks like kind of like a golf tee, like this... (Ignore all the X's I used, had to get the damn thing to align properly... that's how bad I suck at drawing/illustrating lol)

IIIIIIIIIIIII
xx IIIIIII
x xx   III
x  xxx   I

Set the angles depending on how sharp/thin you need the edge to be and you should be golden. You said you'll be adjusting the length of the knife, but it can add more mass/heft to it for chopping the really thick stuff, while the back side is completely flattened out to form an awesome hammer to pound anything with. It should be unique and you can have a carrying sheath or straps designed to have the flat end of the knife against your body.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd do something like this:

Railroad spike - plenty of mass for chopping big/hard stuff, and the intact head would make an awesome hammer you wouldn't ever have to worry about fucking up.

Plus, they look wicked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:07:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#11]

FTMFW!!!!  I gotta laugh because this is almost exactly what came to my mind and that I was going to MS Paint before I scrolled down.  Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]

A penis growing out of the side of a fucked up head?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Terrible paint skills plus crappy touch mouse on a laptop do not mix.

I however cannot take credit for the design as I borrowed from this as I always thought it would make for a good cutting knife.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 2:45:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to the knife making hobby! I play around a bit too. I would leave the tent stake pounding to a rock or a log. That said. What metal type and thickness are you looking at using? Maybe I can come up with something

Here is one of mine

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm182/E-mag/egg.jpg?t=1299140851

Probably make it out of a leaf spring.  I don't want a 60 RC cutting blade.  Something that's 45 -50 and can be sharpened with a file and not break under stress.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
What someone needs to do is cross a machete with a Samurai sword, oh wait
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Have you thought about a machete mixed with a Katana sword?

ETA: Damn beat to the punch...
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#24]

LOL, that is awesome. "Punchy spikes" got me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#25]
This is why I love GD.

HUGE caveat: I know absolutely nothing about knives and knife physics. Truth be told I am scared to death of anything bigger than a buck knife (after having nearly severed 2-3 fingers with a skinning knife when I was 14). I also knew absolutely nothing about paint until, oh, 10 minutes ago??

With that being said, behold!!! The Camp Cleaver

I pretty much made a meat cleaver. Figured it would be some serious thickness. and, from the front view, would be pretty solid until you get to the edge to give you a lot of heft and weight behind each stroke. It isn't light but then you don't care as you intend to just use it around camp. I figure it is between a machete and large knife. handle is wrapped with cord/leather because I think it looks cool and makes it less of a kitchen knife and more of an outdoors knife. The pommel counterbalances the enormous blade and can be used as a hammer. Also adding to the weight at the end is a hammer. You get the gist. Sits right on top of the blade and can be however big you want. Also gives good weight on chops to make it through thick limbs.

I had been kind of thinking about something similar and came up with this.

Oh, I put a little doohicky towards the back. Think it is a wire cutter? I just see them on all the big knives.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Would you like a 45 degree blade?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Blade

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#31]

I have thought about modifying one of these to accept a tomahawk/bearded ax on the non hammer side

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have thought about modifying one of these to accept a tomahawk/bearded ax on the non hammer side

http://www.outdoorcraftsmansupply.com/images/products/display/s55099.jpg

If I knew anything about metallurgy I'd make my own combing a tomahawk, ulu, and hammer into one camp abomination
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's my submission.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#34]
This
This
Or this

Obviously not of my own design, but I've always thought this would be a great chopper being that the balance of the blade is so far forward, recurves, like khukris are known to be fantastic choppers. I'd probably use something common like 440C or 1055, maybe just a regular spring steel as it's rather hard, made out of thicker stock and a flat near the tip on the spine side for hammering, with a more utilitarian handle material like micarta or G10 and for finish, just park it, bake it in cosmoline or other petroleum product, let it leech and call it good enough, though I do like the blued w/ mirror polish, makes the pores in the metal microscopic ergo making it more difficult to rust up.

OR

Something like this beauty.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2jff2tx.jpg
Dem' shaky hands.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.outdoorcraftsmansupply.com/images/products/display/s55099.jpg

If I knew anything about metallurgy I'd make my own combing a tomahawk, ulu, and hammer into one camp abomination
I have thought about making a camp ulu something like this with an extended handle for chopping from HERE

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

http://1userverrack.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/blade-server.jpg

("....and it will track aircraft at 20 miles."––Maurice giving his son in law, Darrin, a magical watch, (w,stte), "Bewitched")

Nice

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Behold: Arfyblade!

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Havent been drinking.  Which is probably a good thing, since using paint with a touch pad is a pain in the ass.

Its big for chopping, has a flat portion on the back spine for hammering, and has an alligator for chomping and biting, and a spur for making your horse/donkey/polar war bear go faster.

If you stab someone with it, the alligator can eat their innards while its inside of them.

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Knife people freak me out. You know, people who are REALLY into knives? Not just practical knives, but are also into the weird ass knives, that look more dangerous to the user than the target? Multi-point knives, with blades that are going in every which direction....

Those kind of people... I think are not right in the head. Frankly? I'm not a fan of knives. The idea of a knife as a weapon, depresses me... because it means I wouldn't have a gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#43]

I would never associate with someone who would own one of those.

FWIW, that's what I was talking about...

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Knife people freak me out. You know, people who are REALLY into knives? Not just practical knives, but are also into the weird ass knives, that look more dangerous to the user than the target? Multi-point knives, with blades that are going in every which direction....

Those kind of people... I think are not right in the head. Frankly? I'm not a fan of knives. The idea of a knife as a weapon, depresses me... because it means I wouldn't have a gun.

But they are very good tools! I use a benchmade every day.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I would never associate with someone who would own one of those.

FWIW, that's what I was talking about...  

He'd be a bastard at the poker table, though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I changed mine up a bit.  Also, that huge round boss at the end is for pounding in your tent stakes.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#47]
 Some good replies, both for chuckles and suggestions.  Thanks for playing.

1|V's submission is the closest to what I'd like to do.  I think I'll change the sweeping radius to a 45 degree angle since that's the cool thing to do, but you *ahem* hit the nail on the head with your striking surface.

Let me know if you'd like your membership extended or donated elsewhere.  

Thanks for playing

I'll post a new thread for "the making of."

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I am happy you liked it.  I will IM you in the AM
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Good luck! Post the new one here so I don't miss it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top