Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 9:02:41 PM EDT
Pledge is great for cleaning windows/glass.

Gin is great for cleaning your glasses.....afterwards you can lick them clean.

Soapy water for aphids.

Magic marker for touching up black paint jobs.

Anyone else have any???

Household ints from Sgtar15.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Shaving cream is a pretty good degreaser, and will strip old wax off your car.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammonia for carpet stains and cleaning windows (diluted).

WD40 for pre-treating grease stains on clothes.

Dab of bleach in each load of dishwasher.
Dab of bleach in sink for hand washing of dishes.  
Bleach in toilet for stinkie rings.

Dishsoap for installing tires on motorcycle rims.

Valsoline for prepping certain fiber engine gasgets.

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Orange oil from a frsh orange also gets sticky stuff off.

Clear Matt spray paint as a great shoe protectant, kind of like a ScotchGuard.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
mosquito repellent is a really strong solvent against plastics and waxes, oil-based paints and latex paints.

Actually works better than Krylon-based latex paint remover.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]
A dab of bleach kills weeds, I hear....

Scott

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Vinegar for cleaning windows - gets water spots and stuff off without leaving streaks.

Notebook paper for poishing chrome after cleaning.

WD-40 + 30 minutes works for most labels.

Pour old sodas on plants to help them grow (plants LOVE caffeine!)

Beer to repel snails from the garden.

Coca-Cola is probably the best automotive battery cleaner I have seen.  Pennies work better than bicarb for preventing corrosion, tho...

My wife could write an encyclopaedia on this stuff, and I know there's some I'm forgetting...

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Coca-Cola is also the best "solution" for unclogging a NG tube, or other tube feeding access route that is stopped up...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
WD-40 = Great bee and wasp killer.  

Brake Cleaner = The most effective and quickest weed killer on the planet.  In less than one hour the plant is wilted and dead.  (Do I sound too much like and environmentalist?)

CLR = Use to clean concrete tools, especially right after use.

Tooth paste = Use a small dab on your car windshield to cut the road grime and get rid of streaks.  It needs to be raining and your wipers running, and don't do this while driving as it takes some time for it to work off.

Wine = In a glass bottle makes a good fruit fly trap.

Liquid soap = Lubricates screws so they can be driven into hard woods without breaking.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Berrymans B12 Chemtool Carburetor and Choke Cleaner works really well on spiders. I used it on a large black widow, she actually melted and started to smoke. DO NOT GET THIS STUFF IN YOUR EYES. It hurts. A lot.

Powdered pool chlorine and brake fluid when mixed will spontaneously combust, occasionally explosively. In small quantities, very entertaining. Large quantities would be a very bad idea. Use proper protective clothing and eye protection when attempting this.

Ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel fuel make a dandy explosive. Okay, it isn't quite that simple to make explosives, but those are the key ingredients.

Science is your friend.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Peanut Butter
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I keep telling them they're nuts, but the young guys 'round here use oven-cleaner to clean their motorcycles - even the aluminum rims.

As a kid, we used to watch the lye in drano react with aluminum foil to produce, uh, was it hydrogen?

I use the hair dryer to remove sticky labels.  Also vaseline seems to help.

Some folks used to use Coca Cola on the outside of the windshield.

What was the deal with a bag of Bull Durham and the windshield?

Got an old sink with the porcelain shot.  Boraxo works better than cleanser on it.

OT, but for lighting the lantern, I keep a long, stripped (no paper), twisty tie (from around the celery) to hold the match up inside.  Any similar malleable small bare wire would work I suppose.  Attach to the bail.

Baking soda is better than toothpaste when camping. No sticky mess and no smell to attract critters.

Some folks put out a bowl with dish soap & water for killing yellow jackets.  When they were really bad once I poured syrup from canned fruit on the ground 30 feet away so we could eat in peace - sorta worked.

I don't think people put oatmeal in radiators much anymore.

One winter, had to use an old style popcorn popper (not the hot air kind) to heat up the 90-weight enough to pump it into the tranny.

I don't see how Pledge would work on windows without leaving a film, but remember that stuff they used to call glass-wax? Put it on wet, let it dry, wipe the powder off.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's not forget steel wool for starting campfires.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#15]
... One bag of Beechnut chewing tobacco to rid horses of worms.

... Crayon to fill in the stampings on your AR lower.

... White toothpaste to plug small holes in the wall.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#16]
For ants in the house, 409 or any other cleaner.  It wears off, so hit the entry point with poison.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes!
Bring back GlassWax!
Bring back GlassWax!
Bring back GlassWax!

I still remember also using that stuff to stencil Christmas decorations on the windows. I guess I've been out of the loop. When did they quit selling it????

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes!
Bring back GlassWax!
Bring back GlassWax!
Bring back GlassWax!

I still remember also using that stuff to stencil Christmas decorations on the windows. I guess I've been out of the loop. When did they quit selling it????

NMSight
View Quote

Evidently I stuck my foot in my mouth.  A quick Google search revealed:
[url]http://www.jensco.com/jensco/glasswax.html[/url]

Haven't seen it in my local store, though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
how do you start a campfire with steel wool
View Quote

Get the fine stuff - 0000 grade.

OK, you do need ignition to get it going, but the stuff makes good tinder, though blowing on it helps.

Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Soaking rusty tools or other all steel parts with rust in vinegar overnight is a great way of removing most of the rust.
Soak
Brush with brass or nylon brush
Wipe with rag
Repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Started fluid for killing hornets and bees.  Knocks them right down, then step on them before it wears off.  Much cheaper and quicker then raid.  Don't light it, though, that would be overkill.

Oxyclean really does kick ass, just like in the infomercials.  Buy it at Sams club though, for about $7.00 / tub
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:24:03 AM EDT
[#23]
club soda removes blood stains
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:44:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Metallic paint + plastic bag = relief from problems

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:55:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Metallic paint + plastic bag = relief from problems

View Quote

LOL...not to mention killing off a few brain cells! Hey..whatever works for you [;)]

Gold is the best with silver a close second. [:)]

medcop
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:47:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
club soda removes blood stains
View Quote

do i want to know how you know that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Vaseline stuck in freezer for a few hours used to hold recirculating balls in groove while rebuilding steering boxes (vaseline later dissolves in steering fluid)
Gojo-non abrasive kind-rubbed into laundry stains gets just about anything paint/grease based out.
Brake fluid for removing oil/grease stains from pavement or concrete -scrub in Brake fluid then wash away with hose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top