Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 4:27:16 PM EDT
We have a Service rifle match every month at my IWLA range.  100 yards.  Shooting my AR15 preban with 16" barrel.  No sling, no coat etc. 5 dollars.

I watched part of the first relay.  So I would have a feeling on how everything works.  The first relay had 17 shooters.  The 2nd was only 4. [:)]  Right before we shot there was a quick heavy downpour and then it got muggy.

First was 20 rounds off hand in 20 minutes.  Loading one round at a time.  My first 3 shots were in the black.  Thats good for me because I'm mainly a plinker.  Final score for this round was 169.  I beat 2 others and one guy got a 175.

Second was 10 rounds sitting in 1 minute with a mag change.   The guy to my right was shooting a garand and it might have effected me a little. [:)]  I could have shot better but ended with a 81.

Third was 10 rounds prone in 1 minute with a mag change.  I learned something from the previous round.  This time fire the 2 then check the scope.  Then fire the next 8.  I did it opposite last round.  Shot a 85.

Last was 10 shots in 10 minutes loading one round at a time.  Glasses started to fog up and there was mist coming up from the ground.  doh. First 4 were in black and then bam, one right outside the black.  ARRG.  Ended up with a 92.

Final score of 427.  I beat two others and the other guy got something like a 435.  

Btw, I was shooting Q3131a.

Can't wait for the BRC match.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
curious as to how you do the 1 round at atime? can you have mags preloaded, or do you just stick 'em in the chamber?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I had no idea on what to do, so I ejected the mag.  Safety on.  Loaded a round and reinserted.  Bolt release, then safety off.  Fire.

Btw, forgot to add.  I injured my trigger finger this morning.  How?  Reloading 30-06.  I somehow got my finger on top of the case and raised the press.  Nice circle cut in my finger.  Doh...  [:D]  That is worth about 10 more points. hehehe.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
curious as to how you do the 1 round at atime? can you have mags preloaded, or do you just stick 'em in the chamber?
View Quote

I use a single round follower, stuck in an extra mag. Get it and your open bolt indicator from Sinclair.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
ouch!!!!
always wanted to shoot service rifle, and for the time being, i only have a postban bushy with 16" bbl, but at 100 yds, i can keep them all in the black sitting and about 9 of 10 offhand. (this was on a NRA rapid fire pistol target, black part 'bout the size of a paper plate.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I use a single round follower, stuck in an extra mag. Get it and your open bolt indicator from Sinclair.
View Quote

got any contact info for sinclair?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Here ya go Quietshoez, [url]www.sinclairintl.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

got any contact info for sinclair?
View Quote

[url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.championshooters.com/[/url]

10-X
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Great first score and Welcome to the Game!!  Now just wait til you line up your sights on that target 600 yards away, squeeze off a shot and watch it fall.  Too cool for words!

Come on over to the comp board, some of the BEST shooters in the country post over there.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats a great score!!!
Keep it up!

Btw; This match is a bit different than ours,
We shoot;
10 standing - 10mins - single load
10 sitting - 60sec - 2 in the first mag 8 in the second start from standing position
10 prone - 70sec - 2 in the first mag 8 in the second start from standing position
20 prone - 20 mins - single load

We shot a 200 yard reduced course.

I just started last June.  (some people may remember my first post-- thw web sling post [peep] )
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]

They let you shoot with a scope?....I thought you suppose to use iron sight. The range master asked me once to joint in but I have no time for it. Someday when the kids grows up I will be able to attend. Good shooting though. [beer]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:46:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They let you shoot with a scope?....I thought you suppose to use iron sight. The range master asked me once to joint in but I have no time for it. Someday when the kids grows up I will be able to attend. Good shooting though. [beer]
View Quote

No scope, My preban AR is an A3 type.  Flattop and I have a removable carry handle attached.  Basically for IWLA, they will allow any gun without a scope.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Robert,

I got to learn from you one day....I am in process to acquire a Beretta O/U shotgun a 386 to go up and try out the skeet range.  I will let you know when that happens, we can have some fun.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Great job!  One question, did they change the targets for the different portions of the match, or keep them all the same?  The reason I ask is that if you dumped one round out of the black for your slow prone you would have droped 6 points right then, but you fired 9 more shots, so those must have been great.  If that was true (you kicked a$$), then GREAT!  If not, don't worry about it, your experience was on the high side of "typical" for a first timer.  Your standing was much better than mine was when I started (my first was 77 out of 100), and I'm still fighting it but its getting better every time.

I agree with SRM, you shouldget out on a 600 yard course.  What an experience!

AR_Rifle, he means a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I changed my target after each group.  4 times.  And I was shooting SR-1 targets.  The easier ones.  I think the more experienced guys shoot a harder target.  Probably the reason for my 'high' score?

I'd love to try longer distance, Quantico probably.  Maybe later this summer.  Plus at the BRC, the range for this will be 200 yards so it should be a little tougher.

Thanks for the complements everyone.  I'll have to do this every month we have these shoots.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had no idea on what to do, so I ejected the mag.  Safety on.  Loaded a round and reinserted.  Bolt release, then safety off.  Fire.
View Quote

I used to do that, until a more experienced competator told me to simply place the round on top of the follower and release the bolt . . .

A single-shot follower would probably reduce the bolt speed, and therby reduce the probability of slam fires . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top