Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 1:59:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm curious to know at what level public services may be counted on repsond to a situation with mass casualties....

or will be it be every man/medic for themselves.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
hey duuude don't Bogart the Atropine maaan.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i'm curious to know at what level public services may be counted on repsond to a situation with mass casualties....

or will be it be every man/medic for themselves.
View Quote

No fire dept. that I know of is trained to handle any kind of nuke emerg. except to help evac. the population. We can handle limited bio threats such as anthrax and are highly trained for mass casualty situations, but it'll be a clusterf*#k. Maybe I'll head to Canada for a while.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Consider yourself on your own.  Couple of reasons why:
1) Hot Zone will be designated, and those without the proper PPE won't go in it.
2) No firm info, but I doubt the EMS services are training much for nuclear emergencies.
3) Pure chaos.  The emergency services will be quite busy handling conventional emergencies caused by the panic, if they stay around at all.
4) A good number of victims will be emergency responders.  
View Quote

Unfortunately, as an EMS responder I must say you are correct sir.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
doublefeed, welcome to the business. We can always use more good people. I work ( as a firefighter/ medic) for an agency that serves an area that is considered a
great place for a terrorist attack. Central Florida with it's thousands of daily visitors from all over the world would be a great place to spread a bio agent.
Since the terrorist attacks I have recived two, count em, 8 hour courses for emergency response to a terrorist incident and neither one of them addressed your concerns. We are massively unprepared for this and yes, it will be evry man for himself if something like this goes down.
However, in light of this, the training you are undergoing is probably the most valuable thing you can acquire right now.
Keep at it bro!
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone who is or has been in the military will tell you the stuff on that site is right out of the handbook.  NBC suits can be purchased for under $30 from [url]www.sportsmansguide.com[/url] if you already have a scent-lok suit for hunting, its the same thing.  Just make sure you've got a charcoal liner (a lot of soldiers in the Guard remove the liner because its like wearing a winter coat, no fun at AT in August or July) if you buy used.  Then all you need is a mask, rubber gloves, and a pair of galoshes.  Atropine would be helpful too.  Anyone know where you can get a mask for a 2 year old?
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
dont forget a roll of duct tape to seal the edges od the gloves and boots
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top