Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 1:17:42 PM EDT
I have a 2001 F-250 extended cab short bed that gets abysmal gas mileage. I have heard that an aftermarket exhaust could help improve mileage. Is this true? I assume this is due to the easier 'breathing' by the engine improves effeciency. Am I on the right track?

If so, what system should I use and how much should it cost. I would like dua exhausts and am thinking of doing mainly pipes and mufflers, not headers.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a V-10, but from what I have gathered from my experience and other Ford owners of the latest Gen Fords. That the stock Ford exhaust is pretty efficient as is and is very hard to get a big improvement over, especially for the cost of some of these kits. Most after market exhaust kits only give you a few percentages better performance and gas mileage (2%-4%).

I added a K&N FIPK, computer chip (Super Chip)and a new muffler (more so for the sound). I'll eventually get some headers if I don't decide on trading up for a bigger truck (V-10).

I've got more HP, gas mileage is up, and now shifts more aggressively. [:D] The computer chip manages the engine and transmission shift points in the automatic equipped Fords. No more wimpy up/down shifts.

Go here for a lot of Ford info. [url]http://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd upgrade in this order.

1. Filter Injection Performance Kit (FIPK) from Airaid, Air Force 1 or K&N.
[url]http://www.f150online.com/cgi-bin/f150store.cgi?CONFIG=f150store&CHANGE=YES&NEXTPAGE=fipk.html&CODE=102[/url]
The engine will breath and burn the fuel more efficiently.

2. Computer chip for engine/transmission
There are many companies that have chips for the Fords.
[url]http://www.f150online.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=3d6fbdd4a4fc00caf94b0d3564f8dac8&forumid=34[/url]

3. Exhaust upgrade- full kit or just the muffler.
Too many manufactures to name... [:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I highly doubt that dual exaust will give you much more gas mileage in a 3/4 ton V-10.

My advice is to get a smaller truck if you want better gas mileage. I would never buy a truck/motor like that if gas mileage was ever going to be a concern.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that dual exaust will give you much more gas mileage in a 3/4 ton V-10.

My advice is to get a smaller truck if you want better gas mileage. I would never buy a truck/motor like that if gas mileage was ever going to be a concern.
View Quote

The wife and I actually use the greater hauling and towing capacity. I just want to make it a bit better, not 25 mpg.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to break it to you but you are stuck with you mileage.  The stock exhaust on my 5.8L was terrible and replacing it with dual (not true dual) exhaust may have gained me about .2-.5 MPG. After I changed to MSD coil, Ford Motorsport 9mm wires, FMS cap & Rotor and K&N filter I got about 1mpg over what it was before.  I would not bother changing your exhaust unless it is damaged/rusted or you want better sound but I would not plan on offsetting the cost in gas mileage.  If you really want better mileage sell it and get the Powerstroke. [;)] Nice truck BTW.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Instead of a total exhaust replacement, get a high flow catalytic converter. It'll help the gases flow much better & still be EPA approved.

The only other thing that would make a difference would be a chip replacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top