Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2011 6:57:37 PM EDT
I saw a few bottles of this the last time I was in the liquor store and it had piqued my curiosity. I have never tried absinthe and I am thinking about giving it a try. It is supposed to contain some thujone due to the wormwood on the mix. Let me know if you like this absinthe or would recommend another brand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Instead of buying a bottle go to a bar and get a shot to see if you like it. Why spend money on something just to throw it away?
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Instead of buying a bottle go to a bar and get a shot to see if you like it. Why spend money on something just to throw it away?

There is no bar around here that serves it. A good thought though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I had some 2 New Years ago. I forget the brand, it was French, but we made up drinks with the sugar cube and I think water?. The drink recipe was on the bottle and it came with the little strainer.  After 2 of these drinks I was pretty tipsy.

Tasted like black licorice also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
tasted like ass and I felt like I was hallucinating. maybe I had too much.  much different than a typical drunk.

EDIT: hallucinating is not the right word––no finger trails or anything goofy. just felt strange, nauseated and loopy. although I the liquorice may have something to do with that for me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought some  Absinthe in Spain and that shit is disgusting.  

I didn't do the whole sugar spoon thing with it, but taking shots of that stuff is rough.   Just get a four loko if you want to get drunk and have it taste bad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Kubler better than Lucid. Grande Absente is better than both. Shit is too expensive to buy very often.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I had some 2 New Years ago. I forget the brand, it was French, but we made up drinks with the sugar cube and I think water?. The drink recipe was on the bottle and it came with the little strainer.  After 2 of these drinks I was pretty tipsy.

Sounds like Grande Absente.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I bought some  Absinthe in Spain and that shit is disgusting.  

I didn't do the whole sugar spoon thing with it, but taking shots of that stuff is rough.   Just get a four loko if you want to get drunk and have it taste bad.
This.  It's just booze, we had two bottles one of my friends brought back from Israel.  One guy thought he was hallucinating.  Turns out he was just a suggestive asshole, because I drank twice as much as him and just felt drunk, if that.  It does taste like shit though, not as bad as 4loko, but hey 4loko is like $2/can.

ETA: This all went down back in ~2004, I hadn't realized it has since been essentially deregulated since.  At least reefer madness still only applies to MJ, because absinthe is pretty tame compared to some other stuff I have imbibed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Grande Absente.

I think you're right. I remember it being like $60-70/ bottle in Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Try St. George Absinthe Verte if you can find it. It's small batch and the first domestic Absinthe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try St. George Absinthe Verte if you can find it. It's small batch and the first domestic Absinthe.

I will look for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
If it doesn't have the stuff that makes you crazy then I don't want any.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It does, that was the hurdle with the FDA when Lucid brought the lawsuit to reintroduce back to the States.

It's ten parts per million Thujone.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good Absinthe never did.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Absinthe had an unfair rap. The thujone content from the wormwood in properly made absinthe was always so minor as to have no real detectable effect. It was no different than the esters and ketones in hard cider or all the other trace chemicals in various kinds of liquors that leach out of aging barrels, are smaller by-products of yeast fermentation, or the traces of the non-ethanol volatiles that come out in the first singlings of distillation.

None of that stuff, whether in whiskey, or rum, or any other distilled spirit  is "good for you". (shrug, neither is the ethanol itself... )

But it never really was the thujone. It was the kooky bohemians that were also doing lots of "other stuff" too, were manic depressive, and just generally crazy, killing themselves over books, women, or OD'ing on opium or whanot, that gave Absinthe it's rap.

Also, what made it worse, is unscrupulous distillers would sell any high-proof rot-gut as "Absinthe", and would fortify it with toxic Methanol, and sometimes used heavy metal dyes and lead compounds that could cheaply replicate the cloudy green color of some Absinthes and replicate "the louche", the color change it undergoes when strained with water over the sugar cube etc.

That killed people very quickly, and alcoholics who were already in poor health even quicker.

That's ultimately why it was banned.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#16]
American absinthe is bunk, people claiming to have hallucinations, are lying.

You have to order the stuff from overseas for it to have the chemical in it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried the real stuff in Germany just on the rocks and it was basically a weak-tasting Jager.  Did absolutely nothing different for me than regular liquor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone that says they hallucinate from drinking Absinthe is just a drama whore or a huge lightweight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Wife bought me a bottle of Lucid last year, along with a bottle of Absinte (sp?) the one with a pic of van gogh on the bottle.  Both came with the little spoon hings.

I usually drink it with the sugar cube and water.  I killed off the Absinte bottle and have about a third of the Lucid left.  Liked both, they both get me where I want to go when I'm in a drinkin mood.  Not too big a fan of it straight, the 'loosh' mellows the taste.  I like it, nice, dry taste, not cloying and sweet like Jager and it has more of a kick then Pernod.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope. Enough thujone to actually do anything is enough to be toxic.

If you have anything other than regular ethanol intoxication from drinking Absinthe no matter where it came fron, you are a lightweight, or it's psychosomatic.

Some of the herbs infused into Absinthe might have some mild alkaloid stimulant properties similar to Ephedra or caffeine, but it's nothing an Irish coffee, or Sambuca and cappuccino , or a Jager and Red Bull won't do for you either. A more awake high.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I think you can order some of the Duplais absinthes from drinkupny.com(?) now.  Much better than Lucid.  If you're ordering from overseas try any of the Jades.  Their Nouvelle Orleans is really nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. Enough thujone to actually do anything is enough to be toxic.

If you have anything other than regular ethanol intoxication from drinking Absinthe no matter where it came fron, you are a lightweight, or it's psychosomatic.

Some of the herbs infused into Absinthe might have some mild alkaloid stimulant properties similar to Ephedra or caffeine, but it's nothing an Irish coffee, or Sambuca and cappuccino , or a Jager and Red Bull won't do for you either. A more awake high.

This.

Lucid and St. George's are the best tasting ones you can get retail in the states (<10ppm thujone).  If you like black licorice you'll like it, if you don't you won't.  The price isn't that bad when you consider it's nearly 70% ABV.  It's not meant for chuggin'.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple bottles from different places in Europe, I keep for decoration.  It tastes like shit.  I did the whole sugar cube and water thing, still tasted like shit.  As for any hallucinogenic side effects..  By the time the wormwood exract does anything to your senses you will be dead of alcohol poisoning.  Its all hype.  Anyone that tells you they got funny off that stuff is a bullshit artist.  I have had real absinthe from a few different places around Europe and none of them gave me anything more than a bad hangover.  It was a novelty for a few guys to try and get trippy on absinthe while we were deployed.  After my thrid absinthe drunk I quit drinking the shit.

If you want to get drunk at least drink something that tatses good..
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't waste your time if you don't like the taste of black licorice.

I've bought 4 bottles over the net, 2 from a place in London, and 2 from Barcelona, Spain, but one bottle from Spain broke in transit.
3 bottles of Mari Mayans 70% and one bottle of Serpis 65, one bottle of the Mari Mayans was the one that broke in transit.

My first dance with the green fairy was with Hill's, a Czech absinthe, which I found out later was bottom of the barrel.

Also had a few shots of absinthe in a bar in New Zealand.

High alcohol content just gets you drunk quicker, that's all, nothing special.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will look for it.

I'll second the St. George.   Kubler is good and not as exprensive as most.
Lucid was one of the first available in the US after absinthe was made legal again, but it has a strong aftertaste that I dont' care for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I too have chased the green fairy. Back in 2005, when I returned from a shitty tour in Iraq, I orderedf 4 bottles of Sebor Absinthe from some place in England. The shit was really expensive and definately not worth the money. I never saw anything and I tried my best to consume as much as I could without puking. My buddies and I tried the fancy method using the spoon where you light a sugar cube on fire and pour absinthe over in into your fancy little cup, kind of a pain in the ass to get a shot but to each their own.

To recap, waste of money for the stuff. I've oney tried Sebor as it was reported to have the most drug in it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I've never sampled any of the Lucid, but I do own several bottles of Jade which was also produced by the same master distiller.  Have not opened a bottle in quite some time.  Perhaps a glass or two are on order for the weekend.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]
do... not... drink... strait..
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#29]
St. George is excellent, but definitely try to find it in a bar before buying a bottle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#30]
For the record, the whole lore about hallucinations and such came from the old days when unscrupulous bartenders would put toxic shit in it to enhance the effects or artificially maintain the color.  

I like Lucid because it's rich and has an interesting cumin (corriander) note and a clean anise flavor that balances the wormwood bitterness nicely.  I just wish it used the cleaner, traditional brandy instead of beet alcohol as a base, cause it seems to add a bit to the hangover.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Absinthe never did.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Absinthe had an unfair rap. The thujone content from the wormwood in properly made absinthe was always so minor as to have no real detectable effect. It was no different than the esters and ketones in hard cider or all the other trace chemicals in various kinds of liquors that leach out of aging barrels, are smaller by-products of yeast fermentation, or the traces of the non-ethanol volatiles that come out in the first singlings of distillation.

None of that stuff, whether in whiskey, or rum, or any other distilled spirit is "good for you". (shrug, neither is the ethanol itself... )

But it never really was the thujone. It was the kooky bohemians that were also doing lots of "other stuff" too, were manic depressive, and just generally crazy, killing themselves over books, women, or OD'ing on opium or whanot, that gave Absinthe it's rap.

Also, what made it worse, is unscrupulous distillers would sell any high-proof rot-gut as "Absinthe", and would fortify it with toxic Methanol, and sometimes used heavy metal dyes and lead compounds that could cheaply replicate the cloudy green color of some Absinthes and replicate "the louche", the color change it undergoes when strained with water over the sugar cube etc.

That killed people very quickly, and alcoholics who were already in poor health even quicker.

That's ultimately why it was banned.

This and also it was cutting into wine company profits, heavily, who apparently had a lot of influence in turn of the century France. Go figure. I think the tipping point was when a Spanish farmer butchered his family after a few glasses. France and in turn most of Europe banned the drink after this occurrence. The tradition was kept alive in some parts of Europe, notably Switzerland, and kept underground.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought the real absinthe was restricted and the government only allowed weak stuff.  Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Not about absinthe itself, but I really want one of these fountains...

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Any good stories of trying to light the shot?

We were scared to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Any good stories of trying to light the shot?

We were scared to.

Tagged and forgot about this thread.

In response to your question:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top