Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/25/2011 7:15:23 AM EDT
Assuming this is all in game footage; the new BF3 is looking simply amazing. I honestly can't tell you the last time I have been this excited about a game. The stats are just looking amazing as well; 64 players on one map for PC, and the consoles are getting a boost with 32 players. Jets are making a return also, and the destruction is supposed to be completely epic.
Sorry but I can't inbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi2tae2PmmU
ETA: Also just wanted to let you Battlefield fans know that you can rejoice as they have finally announced the maps that will be included in the Karkand expansion/map pack available to those who pre-order the special edition.
Karkand

Wake Island (yes THE wake island from BF1942)

Gulf of Oman

Sharqi Peninsula
It's amazing but on these maps alone Battlefield gamers have racked up a collective 25000 years of gameplay time.
EDIT: 3/2/2011

Fucking KICK ASS new gameplay footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJw_ay5U_3w

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
64 players was in BF2 and is in CSS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I guess I am just more excited because of the bump of players allowed on the console versions as I have pretty much all together stopped doing the PC gaming thing. I just got tired of constantly rebuilding and upgrading my machine for new games.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I guess I am just more excited because of the bump of players allowed on the console versions as I have pretty much all together stopped doing the PC gaming thing. I just got tired of constantly rebuilding and upgrading my machine for new games.

Stagnated graphics must be great!  Now that sony and ms are extending console to life to, what, 10 years?

I'm looking forward to BF3 on pc a great deal.  They're giving it special attention (compared to console versions).
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Im normally a console player, but this title alone has me seriously thinking about building out a new gaming rig. Im a big fan of the battlefield games, and 64 players sounds like it could be pretty awesome.

I am disappointed that the commander position is gone from Battlefield 2 though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#5]
That looks full of WIN!

Going to pre-order now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
That does look even better than MW2, and MW2 is the bar I hold all other mil shooters to, in terms of looking incredible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stagnated graphics must be great!  Now that sony and ms are extending console to life to, what, 10 years?

I'm looking forward to BF3 on pc a great deal.  They're giving it special attention (compared to console versions).

While yes both have their ups and downs I actually prefer the console. I feel I play better with a controller (I know I am going to get tackled by the PC fanboys for claiming that a joystick is better than a mouse), and to me the graphics are negligible. I have played BF:BC2, MW2, and Black Ops on both PC and the 360 and with my 360 connected to a 1080p tv I really can't make a discernible difference between the two.
ETA: Believe me, I am not a newb when it comes to PC gaming, I have played everything ranging from Quake 1 Team Fortress (where it all started for me in team based FPS) to Halflifes CS (before it was taken under valves wing) to BF1942 and all the other BFs up until 2. That is when I left the PC gaming world in favor of the newest gen gaming consoles.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#8]
this game is gonna be so tits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I never cared for the main line Battlefield games.

However sign me the fuck up if they make a Battlefield 2143.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You actually liked that abomination they called Battlefield 2142?

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While yes both have their ups and downs I actually prefer the console. I feel I play better with a controller (I know I am going to get tackled by the PC fanboys for claiming that a joystick is better than a mouse), and to me the graphics are negligible. I have played BF:BC2, MW2, and Black Ops on both PC and the 360 and with my 360 connected to a 1080p tv I really can't make a discernible difference between the two.

I typed a reply but no sense saying it.  I disagree and yes you deserve a man-tackling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: Believe me, I am not a newb when it comes to PC gaming, I have played everything ranging from Quake 1 Team Fortress (where it all started for me in team based FPS) to Halflifes CS (before it was taken under valves wing) to BF1942 and all the other BFs up until 2. That is when I left the PC gaming world in favor of the newest gen gaming consoles.

Im of a simalar mind to you, I work IT for a living and when I decide to relax and play a game, I want it to just work. I got sick of the expense and constant effort it took to keep a high-end machine up to par. Besides, I sit in an office chair all day. When I get home I bust out the Sumo bag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I typed a reply but no sense saying it.  I disagree and yes you deserve a man-tackling.

Let's just agree to disagree and both be happy that they are making it for all the systems across the board.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Im of a simalar mind to you, I work IT for a living and when I decide to relax and play a game, I want it to just work. I got sick of the expense and constant effort it took to keep a high-end machine up to par. Besides, I sit in an office chair all day. When I get home I bust out the Sumo bag.

Exactly, it just got old for me constantly expanding my machine, and then sometimes bugs turning up and my framerate going to shit or some other inexplicable reason for the game not running right sometimes. To me the 360 is a good compromise. I can get a game, install it on the hard drive, pop my disk in and know that when I hit the power it will work. The voice chat and playing with friends and talking to them just seem to work so much smoother. Among other things like I said before I still think that my kills and success rate in FPS went WAY up when I started playing on a console. I was good on a PC but you hand me a controller and turn the sensitivity WAY up then I really shine.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Fuck EA. I won't buy it after they milked the fuck out of Battlefield 2.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I will agree that EA/Blizzard is probably the worst thing to happen to gaming ever but I simply can't sit this one out.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They had a lot of expansions but they came back years later with a major patch.  

Either way, it's better than the COD and MOH series games.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They had a lot of expansions but they came back years later with a major patch.    

QFT.

Stale remakes with absolutely no innovation is starting to get old. I mean there is only so far you can take the COD engine and it really shows in black ops.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I got sick of the expense and constant effort it took to keep a high-end machine up to par.

You're in IT and you it a "constant effort" to keep up a gaming machine?   I put my last gaming computer together almost 2 years ago and I've done almost nothing to it other than Windows updates and it still plays the latest games very well.

I'm betting that you're exaggerating a bit to prove your point.  Or at least I'm hoping so.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What was wrong with it? It was pretty popular, and it allowed me to absolutely slaughter people with large bipedial armored cavalry units. So thats a plus. The game was really fun, diverse and fast paced. Sure the gunship TV missilles were ridiculously overpowered but few people caredto learn how to use them well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I"m considering buying a new computer for this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was wrong with it? It was pretty popular, and it allowed me to absolutely slaughter people with large bipedial armored cavalry units. So thats a plus. The game was really fun, diverse and fast paced. Sure the gunship TV missilles were ridiculously overpowered but few people caredto learn how to use them well.

That was about the only thing I really enjoyed about it. I had a skin to make the mechs look like ED-209 from robocop and that was fun for a while but to me the gameplay just didn't feel like BF to me but more like tribes 2 which it didn't really do as well as.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome!  I can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I got sick of the expense and constant effort it took to keep a high-end machine up to par.

You're in IT and you it a "constant effort" to keep up a gaming machine?   I put my last gaming computer together almost 2 years ago and I've done almost nothing to it other than Windows updates and it still plays the latest games very well.  

I'm betting that you're exaggerating a bit to prove your point.  Or at least I'm hoping so.

Last gaming rig I had was right when SLI debuted with all its problems. I was tweaking drivers and settings at least once or twice a week. I imagine its gotten better, but the experience did sour me on the platform somewhat. I get paid to work on PCs. I don't do it for enjoyment.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah, this is definitely on the list to get.  I may pre-order it, I dunno yet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Im normally a console player, but this title alone has me seriously thinking about building out a new gaming rig. Im a big fan of the battlefield games, and 64 players sounds like it could be pretty awesome.

I am disappointed that the commander position is gone from Battlefield 2 though.

I started off as a PC gamer (FPS and Flight Sims) and went console in 2005 for a specific game and have been playing primarily 360 since then, and I've got a damn nice gaming designated desktop and once specs are released for the game, will be having a friend either build me a new one or upgrade the current rig to run BF3 at max as fluid as can be. I'll likely buy the 360 version as well, as I've got quite a few friends that do console only and we tend to have fun playing together and they won't convert to pc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i believe they said they're building it for the PC then porting it over to the console, which IMO will make the game better and increase the realism (which i prefer) for console gamers.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought it was going to be some new trailer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I thought it was going to be some new trailer.

It kinda is, they just released the gameplay trailer 2 days ago. Most people have only seen the teaser that really didn't show anything.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm there as well.  I update drivers, swap vid cards, trouble shoot error codes and all the crap every day at work.  When I want to shoot virtual badguys, it's so nice to simply pop in the dvd/bluray, put my feet up in my La-Z-Boy and down a beer.  yeah, I'm not nearly as good with a controller versus mouse and keyboard, but hey.   I don't give a shit.  And, I'm not having to update my pc hard/software wise every other game.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#31]
HOMEFRONT

This looks really good also

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

HOMEFRONT

This looks really good also

Really looking forward to this one as well to tide me over for a while. However I don't think it is anywhere near on the same playing field as BF3.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

That's not exactly a 'high bar' to reach...

Lame-ass 'perks' and corny weapons...

COD became the clown-car of FPS games pretty damn quick....

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet millions continue to buy them and swear up and down they are the end all be all of FPS.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#35]
The number one issue that needs to be addressed on the PC platform is the damn cheaters.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I wish the PS3 version was 3D, that would be epic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My favourites are still the first two CoD games set in WW2. I din't play much multiplayer, but I loved the singleplayer games.

Shame that campaigns seem to be getting shorter with every game.

I remember when when Soldier of Fortune came out (I was 15 I think), and I was able to beat it in under 4 hours. I thought that was incredibly short by the standards back then, but today it would pass for average.

Still, I played the campaigns for MW1, MW2, BFBC2, and the most recent MOH Afg game. Fun while they lasted.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yet millions continue to buy them and swear up and down they are the end all be all of FPS.

Millions who's moms scream into the bluetooth mike because someone dared to swear while playing...

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

My favourites are still the first two CoD games set in WW2. I din't play much multiplayer, but I loved the singleplayer games.

I remember when when Soldier of Fortune came out (I was 15 I think), and I was able to beat it in under 4 hours. I thought that was incredibly short by the standards back then, but today it would pass for average.
Still, I played the campaigns for MW1, MW2, BFBC2, and the most recent MOH Afg game. Fun while they lasted.

The 'Standard' for single player on PC was and is the Half Life series... For a good tactical shooter? Rainbow 6 3 (the last one they made before the Quake-ified 'Vegas' versions)...
For Consoles? Best single-player would be  the Metal Gear Solid series.... Realistic tac-shooter? Hasn't been one.

As far as 'tactical' shooters go, any game with dual-wielding, supernatural 'perks', and/or people whining about 'campers' gets old fast...

BF is about as 'unrealistic' as I can stand in a 'Tactical' shooter, personally....

(Don't make that complaint about HL or MGS, because when you have giant walking robots, realisim was never in the picture to begin with)

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The 'Standard' for single player on PC was and is the Half Life series...

One of my favourite game series. I still have my old Blue Case HL1 + Blue Shift + Opposing Force + CS box.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you have a 3d TV? Is it worth the $$$? Im getting my yearly bonus soon, and while paying the car off seems like a good idea, this is tempting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I
remember when when Soldier of Fortune came out (I was 15 I think), and I
was able to beat it in under 4 hours. I thought that was incredibly
short by the standards back then, but today it would pass for average.

The
problem I have with campaigns and the most recent FPS is how damn
linear everything is, there is no right or wrong passage only a straight
line that is plotted, you don't feel like you are playing a game rather
than playing an interactive movie. I miss playing games like Halflife
and the like and completely getting stuck because you made a wrong turn
or passed something vital up and have to double back for key parts.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Millions who's moms scream into the bluetooth mike because someone dared to swear while playing...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If it's compatible with MOVE it will still be 'epic' in an extent, other than being completely nerfed to run on a console....

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The problem I have with campaigns and the most recent FPS is how damn linear everything is, there is no right or wrong passage only a straight line that is plotted, you don't feel like you are playing a game rather than playing an interactive movie. I miss playing games like Halflife and the like and completely getting stuck because you made a wrong turn or passed something vital up and have to double back for key parts.

They went from the extreme of 'spend the entire game looking for key-cards' (remember that, from Doom or Dark Forces? You need the RED key for this door, but only have the GREEN one - time to go back through the entire level) to 'make the game an interactive movie with a 'be stuck' or 'play the story' path...
Half the 'fun' in the past, was figuring out ways to get around the obstacles the devs programmed for you - perhaps not in the way they intended....

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted: If it's compatible with MOVE it will still be 'epic' in an extent, other than being completely nerfed to run on a console....

Ahh, so I see you are a member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race!

Just kidding.

I'm a PC gamer too, it's always been the 'best fit' for me. I like mods and custom options.

I also like having three screens running at 3840x1024 when playing FPS games.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have a 3d TV? Is it worth the $$$? Im getting my yearly bonus soon, and while paying the car off seems like a good idea, this is tempting.

No, it's not worth it. I played black ops on a friends new 3d tv and while being cool at first it wears off fast. I couldn't sit there for more than 20 minutes without it really messing with my eyes and giving me a headache. Since then we have probably played a total of an hour in stereoscopic 3d since he has had it.

The one cool thing I did like about it is when you aim in with iron sights it blurs the rear sight and focuses on the front sight post like you would in real life. Other than that I felt it was a gimmick, and not worth the price.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#47]
That trailer was nearly content-free.  But the few 1-2 second snips of video did look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And this is why PC will always be > consoles.

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted: If it's compatible with MOVE it will still be 'epic' in an extent, other than being completely nerfed to run on a console....

Ahh, so I see you are a member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race!

Just kidding.

I'm a PC gamer too, it's always been the 'best fit' for me. I like mods and custom options.

I also like having three screens running at 3840x1024 when playing FPS games.

Let's put it this way:

I have a PC, a WII and a PS3, but no X-box.

And the PS-3 gets used more as a media-player than a console...

My sole attraction to FPS gaming on console, is being able to pick up a gun, and shoot things on my 10x9' home-theater screen (Screw LCD - Projector, FTW)

Link Posted: 2/25/2011 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not worth it. I played black ops on a friends new 3d tv and while being cool at first it wears off fast. I couldn't sit there for more than 20 minutes without it really messing with my eyes and giving me a headache. Since then we have probably played a total of an hour in stereoscopic 3d since he has had it.

The one cool thing I did like about it is when you aim in with iron sights it blurs the rear sight and focuses on the front sight post like you would in real life. Other than that I felt it was a gimmick, and not worth the price.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll wait a little for the tech to mature then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top